View Single Post
Old July 4th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by taliab5 View Post
As far as the pukey thing, they both have "reflux", Ive had them both checked out for it and it was told to me that there was nothing much I could do.
Not sure what the vet means by "reflux". Regurgitation is common in cats that eat to fast, could that be it? Are they vomitting up undigested food, or is it more liquidy or foamy or containing hairballs?

It's not true that there isn't anything you can do, although not surprising that a vet would say that. They don't tend to have a lot of knowledge about what cats should or shouldn't be eating, and frequent vomitting is most typically related to diet.

Quote:
They are due for their vaccines this month. So, not late, just due.
Again, I ask how frequently they're vaccinated. Is it every year? Every 3 years? Because there are new vaccination protocols for cats and not all vets seem to be aware of them. Vaccinating every year is not a good idea. Numerous health issues can result from over-vaccinating, and personally, if my vet was still insisting on yearly vax, I'd be finding another vet. If they aren't up-to-date on this basic info, what other info are they behind on?

Quote:
The food they are on is a fairly new food (they started about 6 months ago with it) it is the dry chicken and rice Costco brand. I did some research and found that although it is a generic it is better than some others. Ie: chicken is the first ingredient, 20% protein, etc. Unfortunately Im not sure I could afford organic food, or probably prescription.
No need to feed organic, and especially not these so-called "prescription" diets . The best thing you can feed your cats is wet food. Kibble is THE cause of numerous (and devastating) illnesses in cats, like diabetes, kidney disease, dental disease, allergies, inflammatory bowel disease, obesity..... By switching to canned (preferably with minimal to no grains and a named muscle meat as the first ingredient), you can save tons on vet bills over the long term. If you can't afford the best quality canned, even mediocre brands like Friskies are better than the most expensive kibble. Some really excellent reading on this subject: www.catinfo.org

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler