View Single Post
Old April 10th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
Ok, so you all know I am new to dogs....I have a couple of behaviour questions. We knew Venus had issues when we got her... fear/aggression towards people and other dogs. I have started crating her in the living room so she can meet the cats and we are taking everything very slowly, especially meeting new people. Now when she's in the crate and she sees one of the cats coming down the hall, she stands up, barks, whines and the fur on her back stands up like a cats when it's threatened, and she pounds her front paws on the crate bottom, is that aggression or fear?? And just over the last few days there have been motorcycles everywhere and we've been out and about. We drove by one going the opposite direction yesturday and she barked at it (weird because she is normally quiet as can be in the car). Then today while we were taking a walk around the neighbourhood a harley drove past us and she put her ears back and her tail between her legs and just about ran me all the way back to the house then couldn't get in and to her room fast enough! Is this fear?? We saw other bikes (sport style) and she was fine, but both instances where she's reacted has been harleys?
The sound of the Harley would be scary especially seeing as she has spent so much time in the shelter. It could also be the loud sound of the bike that is hurting her ears, but I would more think itis fear of the bike is her problem.

When we first got Mindy last year, she was scared of motorcyles, trucks even bikes as I guess she hadn't been around them much. She would run away from them and I'd have to pick her up and tell her it was ok. I also would sit outside with her in the summer at the front of the house and just let her watch the traffic go by and talk to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
If it was one of those really loud obnoxious sounding Harley's I don't blame her! I can imagine that sound must bother their ears. I can't stand those things. Don't understand why they have to be so darned loud! Her reaction sounds like fear to me.
Patty, my brother use to ride a Harley and he almost got smacked by a few cars because they couldn't hear him and didn't check their side view mirrors. So he had to put on a really loud muffler because he did a lot of hwy travel on his bike. That is why they are so loud, so people know they are there and don't smush them. *S*

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)