Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Kinda random but... (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64966)

babymomma August 17th, 2009 11:53 PM

Kinda random but...

When you get a kitten.. Does it Automatically know that it has to go in the litterbox or is there some wierd way to train them? (Cant see how you train that :S)

Told ya it was random.. Snce i dont have a kitten nor plan on having one n the next 2 years.. But I was curious:shrug:

growler~GateKeeper August 18th, 2009 01:16 AM

The kitten's mother teaches them to use the litterbox usually around 4 weeks old :cat:

When you bring a litter-trained kitten or a cat home you just need to show them [I]where[/I] the box is. :D

If the kitten was never litter-trained you place the kitten in the box about 1/2 hour after each meal or play session and take the kittens' paws and rub them in the litter using a scratching motion. Never restrain a kitten in the litterbox (makes them not want to go anywhere near it) but allow them to jump in & out. You can also stimulate interest in the litter by stirring it - helps to get them into digging in it and putting a small amount of poop in the litter box shows them what is expected of that area.

adammo August 18th, 2009 07:45 AM

For both of mine all I had to do was put them in the box. They got in, looked at me, and did their business right away. Surprisingly enough, it seems almost natural :).

babymomma August 18th, 2009 01:08 PM

Thank you Both :D I never understood that.. Great explanation Growler! :thumbs up

Love4himies August 18th, 2009 01:21 PM

Kittens have a natural instinct to bury their "business", so it is usually a matter of showing them where a good place for them to be able to do this is. Some kittens catch on much quicker than others, even when they have a momma to show them, ahem, I am talking about Rosebud :frustrated:.

dmc123 August 18th, 2009 04:58 PM

[QUOTE=adammo;815635]For both of mine all I had to do was put them in the box. They got in, looked at me, and did their business right away. Surprisingly enough, it seems almost natural :).[/QUOTE]

Same for me adammo - when we got the quads, their mom didn't use a box, she was half-feral and went in the yard. Once they got their little paws in the litter, they went there everytime afterward.

It is kinda funny, much easier than house-breaking most pups.

Diane

TacoGrl August 18th, 2009 09:05 PM

A boyfriend found my Jaeger in a parking lot at all of maybe a month old (maybe less)...she used the litter box from the start :shrug:

She used to hide in it...burrow her way right down and I would see half a kitty in there on the way to the kitchen...two big eyes LoL! :laughing: