Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   How often a cat should eat (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=52016)

leapnbunny May 3rd, 2008 02:57 PM

How often a cat should eat

My cat likes to eat several times a day in smaller portions. Vet said he should eat twice a day, but considering she recommends dry food, then no wonder - dry food sure can stay all day without spoiling! But canned food must be eaten right away, and that's what he eats now. He is almost 8 if that's of any indicator. Is it bad to feed him say 4 times a day in equal intervals, or not?

sugarcatmom May 3rd, 2008 03:29 PM

[QUOTE=leapnbunny;588575]My cat likes to eat several times a day in smaller portions.[/quote]

That's fine, and actually ideal.

[QUOTE=leapnbunny;588575]Vet said he should eat twice a day, but considering she recommends dry food, then no wonder - [/quote]

Typical :rolleyes:. Unfortunately, not a lot of vets are up-to-date on feline nutrition.

[QUOTE=leapnbunny;588575]But canned food must be eaten right away, and that's what he eats now. [/quote]

Actually you can leave wet food out for pretty long periods of time (up to 12 hrs). Add a little extra water to prevent it from drying out too much. During the week when I go to work, I put down a big breakfast of canned food for my guy and he nibbles on it over the next 4-8 hours. Evenings and weekends I feed him several smaller meals, mostly because that's when he gets his raw and he doesn't like it if it's been sitting out for more than a couple hours.

[QUOTE=leapnbunny;588575]Is it bad to feed him say 4 times a day in equal intervals, or not?[/QUOTE]

Perfect. :)

chico2 May 3rd, 2008 03:47 PM

You are doing great:thumbs up
My cats eat canned 3 times a day,but not all the food at once,they keep coming back to it until it's done.
I just have to watch so my little fatty,Vinnie,does not suck it all up:laughing:
My new vet actually agrees with my feeding schedule and the food I am feeding:cat:

leapnbunny May 3rd, 2008 04:01 PM

Hi Sugarcatmom,

Thanks for replying. What kind of food/diet do you feed your cat?

Our vet also said he is 1 pound overweight, which is like 10 pounds compared to human weight. He maintained the same weight throughout the years until our last visit to the vet. I'm wondering how can I make him lose 1 pound without sacrificing his nutrition? I try to get him to play/exercise more often :D He is a big cat, but I wouldn't call him overweight. He was just always big, but he is also lean. He eats quite often, actually more than 4 times a day for sure. I don't know how to tell whether he is hungry or just fooling me! Maybe I should just leave more wet food on his plate, so he can nibble on it for half a day.

leapnbunny May 3rd, 2008 04:03 PM

Thanks chico! :) What kind of food do you give your cats?

chico2 May 3rd, 2008 04:21 PM

My 3 cats eat Wellness cans for the past month or so,a little pricey with 3 cats,but I am hoping it will keep them healthier:fingerscr

Jim Hall May 3rd, 2008 04:28 PM

oh wow a whole pound i dont want to soiund like a grump but i think your vet is talking thruogh his/her hat

if kitty has a waist and energy then he is fine

think about how a cat in the wild eats Hunts a mouse eats 3 ozs or so and takes a nap lol I would find another vet myself but thats just me

Mia101 May 7th, 2008 02:15 AM

When my cat is through with the portion of canned she becomes full on, I run a bit of hot water over the rest, which creates a little 'broth' that is extra hydration, and make the remaining portion more appetizing.

I let my cat eat how much or little when and how she wants. We have no weight issues, so we can free-feed.

Love4himies May 7th, 2008 06:07 AM

My cats eat three times a day. Wellness grain free is their main source of canned, along with a mix of:

Fromms 4 star
Go Natural, grain free flavours
Organics by Nature

To give them a change.

They munch on Orijen too.

duttypaws May 7th, 2008 06:11 AM

my cats get wet food 3 times a day in the morning, when im back from work and a little less just before bed... its working out and the eating of each others food has stopped.

As Poppy is a little bigger I leave out dry food (yay chicken soup for the cats soul) and its there if they need it...