Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Mousse + butter (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57217)

badger October 5th, 2008 05:04 PM

Mousse + butter

Mousse, whom I have been struggling to get weight on (he [I]might[/I] have gained a few ounces, we'll see when he goes for his next check up). We still have no real idea of what ails him and he is on his second prescription of prednisone, stuck at 3/4 of the original dose. Below that, he stops eating.
Anyway, Mousse loves butter. Is there anything wrong with giving him a teaspoon or two per day? His bloods were all normal, liver and kidney function, etc.
He won't touch anything with coconut oil in it but a little hemp oil is acceptable.
The more calories I can get in him, the better. I could even melt a little butter and put it on his food to increase his interest.

Frenchy October 5th, 2008 05:08 PM

[QUOTE=badger;668650] I could even melt a little butter and put it on his food to increase his interest.[/QUOTE]

:cloud9: can I go eat at your place ? But add a little garlic to mine please ? :cloud9:

Sorry , I have no advice. I know you can give them butter (for fur balls) but don't know if it's ok to do it everyday. I would think just a bit wouldn't hurt ? :shrug:

badger October 5th, 2008 05:12 PM

Anytime! I never used to buy butter, stuck with oils and nut butters, but now I can hardly live without it. Unfortunately, it goes on special for 2.50$ every few weeks. I've persuaded myself it's OK because I always buy unsalted lol.
I swear Mousse can hear me buttering my bread and he is [I]instantly[/I] beside me, waiting for his share.

Frenchy October 5th, 2008 05:16 PM

I know ! I put butter on everything (well , almost :rolleyes:) and I can't believe they sell this for 4.99 :eek:

I only buy it on special too.

badger October 5th, 2008 06:09 PM

Except I folded last night and paid full price because I had run out and Mousse just couldn't wait :laughing: Of course then I found it's on sale again this week. Will have to stock up, Mousse can't be without his butter :laughing:

Maybe I should have put this in the TJT :)

Frenchy October 5th, 2008 06:14 PM

[QUOTE=badger;668695]

Maybe I should have put this in the TJT :)[/QUOTE]

:laughing: I'm sure someone will come along with advices :thumbs up

sugarcatmom October 5th, 2008 06:24 PM

Yup, a daily dose of butter is absolutely fine. Would Mousse eat scrambled eggs with butter on it, do you think? Eggs are such an easily digestible, high quality protein that would probably be quite good for Mousse, if he liked them. Some cats don't though. But maybe Mousse would if they had a good dribbling of butter.

Goldens4Ever October 5th, 2008 06:35 PM

Salt-free butter should be used.

badger October 5th, 2008 06:41 PM

I can't eat salted, even semi-salted, butter, it literally burns my mouth. I'm going to try scrambled eggs tomorrow. Thanks!

growler~GateKeeper October 5th, 2008 07:41 PM

Badger melting butter & dribbling that on the food is purrrfectly fine & I'm sure Mousse would love that :cat::D