Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Raw Puppy (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=60074)

MerlinsHope January 20th, 2009 11:16 AM

Raw Puppy

[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3460/3212220447_eefd8b2262.jpg?v=0[/IMG]

[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3307/3213065618_c82be22c59.jpg?v=0[/IMG]

Any puppies here on Raw?

bendyfoot January 20th, 2009 11:30 AM

Our 9-ish month old "puppy" is on raw! :D

She obviously has all her adult teeth and can crunch through chicken quarters and oxtails and beef ribs without difficulty!

What a cute little fluffball!!!:lovestruck:

BenMax January 20th, 2009 12:24 PM

That pup is absolutely GORGEOUS.:cloud9:

AmericanBullMom January 20th, 2009 12:31 PM

What a Fuzzy pup! Beautiful!

Yay for Raw! Patrón has been getting RMBs since he was 6 months old!

Love4himies January 20th, 2009 02:09 PM

What a precious puppy :cloud9:

MerlinsHope January 20th, 2009 07:48 PM

Little Chowling

[QUOTE=BenMax;734881]That pup is absolutely GORGEOUS.:cloud9:[/QUOTE]

This little chowling was flown in to us last Thursday from Los Angeles, where she was dumped by the breeder on death row at a kill shelter.

She's blind, but as smart as a whip and since last Thursday now has a vocabulary of 4 words and yesterday she asked for the "door", so we were rather proud of her.

She's walking on a leash now (not perfectly but she's trying), and she's learning to explore and do her floor grid.

She's already got a new home to go to and will be leaving us soon for a new life full of hope.

She's really a cute little thing. Everyone here has totally fallen in love with her.

MM
:)

MerlinsHope January 20th, 2009 07:52 PM

younger puppies

Has anyone here started younger puppies?
I haven't to date.
MM
"_

bendyfoot January 20th, 2009 08:35 PM

Gads, she's a cute little thing!!!:lovestruck:

Here's our raw puppy, showin' how it's done!:D
[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3449/3214372300_2bdfce2e7d.jpg[/IMG]

bendyfoot January 20th, 2009 08:39 PM

[QUOTE=MerlinsHope;735163]Has anyone here started younger puppies?
I haven't to date.
MM
"_[/QUOTE]

Heidi was on part-time raw since 12 weeks...I know a corgi breeder who feeds raw straight away after weaning.

Marcha August 19th, 2009 04:08 PM

Bodhi is currently 12 weeks old, and we're switching her to Orijen while we read up on raw for dogs and find local organic, free-range sources for her. We are lucky to live in a semi-rural agricultural area where there are all kinds of organic farms around, within a 10km range. So we're hoping to have her starting on raw at 14 or 15 weeks. The reason we're doing the switch to Orijen first is to have her body get rid of (detox) the crap left over from her Medi-Cal and Science kibble while we're reading up and finding sources that match our lifestyle and philosophy.

Marcha August 23rd, 2009 11:06 AM

Bodhi is currently eating her first raw turkey neck. She is fearlessly protecting it from the bothersome and dangerous wasp that is hovering around trying to get a piece of the action. It's too funny!

Deaura October 1st, 2009 11:47 AM

7 week puppy arriving today

We want to feed raw, should we start her off with big pieces like chicken legs or should be cut up the meat? should we grind up veggies and mix in a raw egg with shell on?
Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!!!

MerlinsHope October 2nd, 2009 07:04 AM

Hi Deaura

Nice that you want to start your puppy on raw

Ground up vegetables went out 10 years ago. there is no need for that.

Eggs should be served shell and all, they don't have to be ground, just crack an egg in a bowl and leave the shells there and let puppy play with them. 3 times a week should suffice , not more than that.
Just make sure you always add the Omegas 3+6 to the diet ( fatty fish). This is extremely important.

No dog ever choked on a side of beef, whereas plenty have choked on small pieces of meat and bone. large pieces are always more desirable. let your puppy stand on it, yank and tear at it. You'd be surprised that young puppies are better suited to raw than dogs that have been eating kibble for 2 years.
They entirely forget how to eat meat.

Stick with large pieces that your puppy can pull at.

Cheers
MM

Sheri H October 2nd, 2009 12:03 PM

Loki has been getting some raw since he was about 12 weeks old. He's just under 4 months now and still gets some. He's still got his baby teeth,b ut has no problem chomping on a chicken carcass. Pandora started when Loki arrived and quickly learned not to steal from him.

Marcha October 2nd, 2009 12:58 PM

Bodhi has been eating raw since she was 12 weeks old. She's 19 weeks today, going through her teething stages, and has shown NO difficulty with any chunk of meat. Her teeth do not seem to give her any trouble while chomping down on ribs, legs, thighs, necks, backs, or chunks of cattle bone. In fact, the more she's teething, the more she seems to appreciate the chomp.

Deaura November 10th, 2009 09:28 AM

Thank you for the advice, I haven't been back on this site since the first week with our puppy, you were very helpful.
Vicky was 7 weeks when we got her, she is now almost 3 months old and is healthy, happy and content. She loves her raw meat!!!! We feel so much better giving her this, our previous dogs were on kibble and I always felt sorry for them eating that horrible dry stuff. Our first dog died at 10 years, she had Cushings Disease, our second dog had Lymphoma before she was 5 years old and we let her go on Sept 4 this year - a horrible sad time!
That is what made us research why so many dogs are getting sick and we found out about Raw Food diets and why they are so good - we are promoting this to everyone but most people can't be bothered to make the effort to change - too bad for their dogs!
Vicky is now 20 lbs and her coat is beautiful, her breath is odorless, her poops are small and firm and we are saving money - raw can be cheaper, we used to buy special expensive dry food, it cost us over $100 a month!
Spread the word - more people need to switch to raw!!!

Lil January 4th, 2010 02:45 PM

Sky is 6 month and on raw food since she ended up here ( she got here with 14 weeks ).
She loves it!

WinstonsDad January 6th, 2010 01:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Merlin et al,

You guys were so very helpful and informative with decision making.

I jumped in to say that Winston has been RAW for over a month and loving it.
Muscles are slowly starting to pop, coat is beautiful, he's so much more satisfied after meal time and just generally more calm. :)

We just both wanted to say thank you for your time and patience,

Chris & Winston

(haven't any pics of him eating yet)

Fedor January 14th, 2010 06:49 AM

Fedor has been on full-on raw (prey model, although he hasn't had any secreting organs other than chicken liver yet) from a few days after I got him. Basically since he was 8 weeks old. He loves both chicken and beef and can crunch through a raw bone-in chicken thigh no problem. I supplement occasionally with Omega 3 egg yolks, a vitamin gel type of thing and some virgin coconut oil. In the coming weeks I will try to introduce pork and fish as well.

snorklepuss January 30th, 2010 09:38 AM

[QUOTE=MerlinsHope;832052]Hi Deaura

Nice that you want to start your puppy on raw

Ground up vegetables went out 10 years ago. there is no need for that.

Eggs should be served shell and all, they don't have to be ground, just crack an egg in a bowl and leave the shells there and let puppy play with them. 3 times a week should suffice , not more than that.
Just make sure you always add the Omegas 3+6 to the diet ( fatty fish). This is extremely important.

No dog ever choked on a side of beef, whereas plenty have choked on small pieces of meat and bone. large pieces are always more desirable. let your puppy stand on it, yank and tear at it. You'd be surprised that young puppies are better suited to raw than dogs that have been eating kibble for 2 years.
They entirely forget how to eat meat.

Stick with large pieces that your puppy can pull at.

Cheers
MM[/QUOTE]

MM sure wish I had found this thread when we started the raw. But now that were threw the early stages wow do my dogs like it and seem extremely healthy. My on=going research is to find out if I'm missing anything. There diet right now is more of a musher. Raw bone a day then 2lb block of frozen meat, fat, blood, small % of oragan and % of tripe. What worries me is what they may be missing.

The egg, eggshell and the omega 3+ 6 seems like something i have to learn about. Can you elaborate PLEASE.

Cory