Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Why not charge a little??? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71315)

lilsis261279 July 6th, 2010 06:37 AM

Why not charge a little???

I just saw this post in kijiji in my area that a person is giving away free puppies because her female had a litter of 12 puppies and she is just giving them away. This pains me too see because they are beautiful puppies and she should charge a little bit of money just to ensure that the puppies are well taken care of ... My opinion is this ... If you dont have the money to pay for a puppy then you dont have the money to properly take care of the puppy ... What are your thoughts??

[url]http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-pets-dogs-puppies-for-sale-Rotti-dobberman-bullmastif-W0QQAdIdZ215733013[/url]

Melinda July 6th, 2010 06:59 AM

I normally email those people to let them know what happens to "free to a good home" pups....then ask them to please charge a small fee even....

lilsis261279 July 6th, 2010 07:01 AM

I do too ... I sent an email to her as well to the other 4 free animal ads that was posted just this morning but I doubt they will email me back :mad:

Melinda July 6th, 2010 07:04 AM

most times I get quite nasty replies...but maybe 1 out f 10 will thank me for the info and I'll notice their ad is changed...so even if just one charges...

Golden Girls July 6th, 2010 07:07 AM

Thank you both!

Since your in this area could either of you refer her to a rescue whom you approve of - or contact the rescue and forward them her ad? Momma should also be a concern ... time to have her spayed :shrug:

lilsis261279 July 6th, 2010 07:18 AM

Thank you Golden .. I had not thought of that ... I will go do that right now actually
Thanks again :D
Julie

Melinda July 6th, 2010 07:18 AM

good idea GG, never thought of that!! not sure I know any rescues in that area, but I'll check around

lilsis261279 July 6th, 2010 07:20 AM

Melinda ... I get a lot of nasty replies telling me I should mind m business and if I were so against it I should take them in all myself and a few times I did and brought them to one of my local SPCA because they have a 0 (zero) kill rate but unfortunately now they charge you to bring the animal in and I dont have the resources to take-in all those animals

Melinda July 6th, 2010 09:07 AM

lilsis, it appears the ad has been removed. man, they even have a free femaled spayed brindle boxer....wish I had more room.

lilsis261279 July 6th, 2010 09:10 AM

I guess they didnt like my email or all their puppies have been picked up ... So sad for the puppies :(

Golden Girls July 6th, 2010 09:14 AM

[QUOTE=lilsis261279;934590]I guess they didnt like my email or all their puppies have been picked up ... So sad for the puppies :([/QUOTE]OR, maybe you got her to realize the risk of posting free puppies :highfive: Hopefully she'll try to find good homes on her own :fingerscr

lilsis261279 July 6th, 2010 09:29 AM

I hope and pray that is so GG :fingerscr

BenMax July 6th, 2010 11:17 AM

When answering Kijiji ads it is very important to go gently with the education and not like a bull in a china shop. Give the people the cons about posting like this and also provide them with options. List names of rescue groups to contact as well as shelters in their vacinity. I normally get a response back with a thank you and they never knew about rescue groups. I have even gotten dogs that they were charging for but when I explained about the dangers of intact animals possibly going to puppymills or laboratories, the response I get back is nothing short of gratitude in knowing what could happen.

I can honestly say that I get positive feedback for about 50% of the ads I answer. Out of those, I may get 25% of these dogs or cats that I then forward and transport to rescues.

It's all in the approach.

Having the ad removed is not a victory as now you must wonder what happened to the 12 puppies. It is impossible that they went in one day. I guess we will never know and hope for the best.

lilsis261279 July 6th, 2010 12:19 PM

In my email to her I stated very nicely that she could charge a small fee to keep the bad people away or even the good people who want a puppy but cant afford to take them to a vet for shots or even regular check ups. I was in no way a bully and even sent the link to my local SPCA (no kill shelter) and two SPCA near her. Within 1 hr of her posting her ad there already was 7 puppies gone so it would not surprise me if all of them are gone or she contacted one of the SPCA numbers I sent her she had good mix dogs, they were rotti-dob-and something else (dont remember) so am almost certain they are all gone now

BenMax July 6th, 2010 12:44 PM

[QUOTE=lilsis261279;934653]In my email to her I stated very nicely that she could charge a small fee to keep the bad people away or even the good people who want a puppy but cant afford to take them to a vet for shots or even regular check ups. I was in no way a bully and even sent the link to my local SPCA (no kill shelter) and two SPCA near her. Within 1 hr of her posting her ad there already was 7 puppies gone so it would not surprise me if all of them are gone or she contacted one of the SPCA numbers I sent her she had good mix dogs, they were rotti-dob-and something else (dont remember) so am almost certain they are all gone now[/QUOTE]

Good for you! Great job!:thumbs up

Melinda July 6th, 2010 01:11 PM

I sent her the posting on the bad side of free pups, told her to charge a donation to the spca if it made her feel better.....I've been educating people for years on the hazards of free pups being used as bait dogs,labratory dogs...never was a "bold in your face" type person....

Golden Girls July 6th, 2010 02:36 PM

I'm sure Lilsis & Melinda you both did fine :thumbs up Obviously this was an "oops" litter (unlike the other kijiji ad I contacted who was, can't say a ** so a byb :shrug: and for the record I was also very nice, anywayyys) She probably was just desperate/overwhelmed. Maybe one of the Spca's you contacted offered to take them for her. We may never know but her removal of the ad speaks volume so thank you's :2huggers:

Goldfields July 6th, 2010 08:06 PM

I agree with that desperate/overwhelmed bit. I'm glad you all take a gentle approach because by this stage, after looking after so many pups, she probably wishes she could pay people to take them. I dare say she won't let this happen again after this experience either. Big litters are so exhausting. It may be why some people aren't very receptive to your well meant advice too.

Melinda July 7th, 2010 06:34 AM

thanks goldfields *S*

kiara July 9th, 2010 11:54 AM

I don't understand why people allow their pets to get pregnant in the first place? Since there are so many abandoned animals everywhere and a lot of them are getting euthanized!!! You can get them spayed and neutered at low cost at the local veterinary college. Someone paying for a pet is not a guarantee that the pet will be well taken care of. It is dangerous to give unnutered pets to the public, as they may use them for breeding or sell them for research. I ALSO DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY CRAIG'S AND KIJJI'S LISTS ALLOW PEOPLE TO USE THEIR FORUM FOR FREE ADVERTISING FOR BREEDING AND SELLING ANIMALS FOR PROFIT?????.

Jakes-mom July 9th, 2010 02:35 PM

Our new pup actually came to us under these circumstances as the pups/add described by the OP....but we got homes for the 3 pups from the litter & gave the young guy who owned mom enough money (for the "free' pups) between the 3 of us to get mama spayed......hopefully he'll follow through with it!! He sure didn't seem interested in anymore litters.....

lilsis261279 July 10th, 2010 06:16 AM

Well Jakes-mom it was a very good thing you did but I highly doubt he would of gotten the momma fixed ... this is something we will never know unless you go there and check things out ;) You are very big-hearted Thank you. I do not have a problem with Craigs list or kijiji because I got my new puppy from the kijiji site but I did pay for him. I just don't like the fact that people don't get their animal fixed and then just give those poor little babies away and don't care about their future and then still don't get their animal fixed :(