Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Can you use baby wipes on dogs? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=68361)

gpm88 February 10th, 2010 01:29 AM

Can you use baby wipes on dogs?

I have been told no in the past. I know that they make special wipes for puppies/dogs but I'm wondering what exactly is the difference between the two? Yes, I know probably the ingredients... but which ones? What ingredients in the baby wipes are bad for the dog?

Dr Lee February 10th, 2010 03:51 AM

Barring new or unusual ingredients, baby wipes are safe for topical use in dogs. I would avoid contact with or around eyes.

Good questions! :dog:

Melinda February 10th, 2010 05:13 AM

I use them daily for Brina, more so in the spring on her paws.

mummummum February 10th, 2010 12:56 PM

I stick to unscented.

buddingartist February 10th, 2010 01:30 PM

I use them also on my dogs, both Westies.

They do come in handy for white dogs for paws and butts:laughing:

BenMax February 10th, 2010 01:35 PM

I use them for poopy dangly things on the persians and the foster poodle. Works great.

mummummum February 10th, 2010 04:04 PM

[QUOTE=BenMax;882957]I use them for poopy dangly things on the persians and the foster poodle. Works great.[/QUOTE]

:laughing: "Willknots" as in "these :censored: things will not come off!!"

ScottieDog February 10th, 2010 04:30 PM

I've used baby wipes on my dogs. I always get the unscented ones safe for sensitive, newborn skin. I use them to wipe paws and rumps, never near the eyes. Make sure you throw them away so the wipes can't be chewed and I think it would be fine.

BenMax February 10th, 2010 04:53 PM

[QUOTE=mummummum;883008]:laughing: "Willknots" as in "these :censored: things will not come off!!"[/QUOTE]

That's the word I was looking for! Willknots. Thanks:thumbs up:laughing:

mummummum February 10th, 2010 05:17 PM

[QUOTE=BenMax;883048]That's the word I was looking for! Willknots. Thanks:thumbs up:laughing:[/QUOTE]

Your moist welcome (ar-ar-ar).

Now, I have dawgs with very long feathering on their hinds. Wanna know the definition of a Sh-andelier? :D

Dee-O-Gee February 10th, 2010 09:48 PM

[QUOTE=mummummum;883072]Your moist welcome (ar-ar-ar).

Now, I have dawgs with very long feathering on their hinds. Wanna know the definition of a Sh-andelier? :D[/QUOTE]

I'm all ears! :thumbs up What is it-huh, huh? :D :laughing:

Golden Girls February 11th, 2010 05:30 PM

I also use unscented baby wipes, great for the pee pee area. They sell doggie ones' but just more expensive for nothing :2cents:

Frenchy February 11th, 2010 07:42 PM

I use the unscented ones for Jack's bum :o

My Lodi Girl February 11th, 2010 07:49 PM

Good idea! Never thought of that. Lodi was really overweight several years ago before she died and couldn't reach her "privates" to clean herself so I cleaned her with unscented Summer's Eve feminine hygiene wipes. Baby wipes would be more economical!

Kay9 February 12th, 2010 04:16 PM

I use baby wipes on Buddy's bum. He has long, feathery fur, and sometimes gets a stinky bum after a really good poop! :laughing:

Melei'sMom February 16th, 2010 03:06 AM

I have used both the doggie ones and the unscented baby ones and I like the baby ones better, the doggie ones smell funny and do not clean as well.:2cents:

vickainsc September 6th, 2016 12:05 PM

I realize this is a very old thread, but......

I am surprised to see the response to this question regarding baby wipes for dogs with all I've read about propylene glycol being highly toxic to dogs. Is this new information, or bad information? I have used them in the past, not often, but have never had any problems but I've read some horror stories online and now I wouldn't. I have been surprised to see pet wipes sold in pet stores that do contain propylene glycol, so I'm wondering if the panic is well founded or not? I suspect propylene glycol is toxic, but possibly not the amount used in these products? Still.... I have to ask, would a veterinarian use them on their own pet?

hazelrunpack September 6th, 2016 08:04 PM

I see a lot of confusion about elthylene glycol (a main ingredient of antifreeze, which is quite toxic) and propylene glycol. Propylene glycol is much less toxic in dogs than antifreeze is. Cats are a different matter--products containing propylene glycol should not be used on them at all.

There are pet wipes and baby wipes that don't contain propylene glycol, so there are choices out there if you want to avoid certain ingredients. Or, if you google it, you can find recipes for homemade 'baby wipes' where you can pick and choose [I]all[/I] of the ingredients.

Longblades September 7th, 2016 07:42 AM

[url]http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=1120&tid=240[/url]

I found this ^. It refers to humans.

However I also found many sites that said propylene glycol IS also used in antifreeze and IS toxic to us and to pets if ingested but I could not find numers of amount ingested and what the range of reactions might be.

[url]http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/carryouts.asp[/url]

Snopes is interesting, it says Unproven, which of course means it isn't known if it's true or not.

It's so hard to figure out which internet site is correct.

rhynes September 7th, 2016 11:15 AM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;1074887]I see a lot of confusion about elthylene glycol (a main ingredient of antifreeze, which is quite toxic) and propylene glycol. [/QUOTE]

This ^^^...

Propylene glycol replaced Ethylene glycol in many antifreezes.

Propylene glycol is in many of the foods we eat - from ice cream to salad dressings. We likely ingest more of it than we realize. Ask a vaper about propylene glycol, it's the primary ingredient in many electronic cigarette juices.

It's also in many dog foods, but most people don't read the ingredients.

Barkingdog September 7th, 2016 02:06 PM

Why do just use some wet paper towels ...

cathy66 September 7th, 2016 02:09 PM

[QUOTE=Longblades;1074893][url]

[url]http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/carryouts.asp[/url]

Snopes is interesting, it says Unproven, which of course means it isn't known if it's true or not.

It's so hard to figure out which internet site is correct.[/QUOTE]

I've used snopes lots in the past to settle debates, its a great source.