Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Where to buy canned pumpkin (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=20775)

kayla October 29th, 2005 11:14 AM

Where to buy canned pumpkin

I've seen a few threads about giving dogs canned pumpkin to firm up the poo, and I would like to try this with Kayla. Problem is I can't find it! You aren't supposed to get the pie filling, right? So where do people get unsweetened canned pumpkin? I've never seen it before, what section is it in? With other canned veggies or with the pie stuff? Which stores have it? Thanks!

Edited by Admin - Lots of people are finding this thread and I just wanted to include a link to an intro article on [URL="http://www.pets.ca/dogs/tips/tip-75-pumpkin-for-cats-pumpkin-for-dogs-pumpkin-for-diarrhea-or-constipation/"]canned Pumpkin to fight diarrhea or constipation in cats and dogs[/URL]
thx - Marko

jesse's mommy October 29th, 2005 11:15 AM

Baking Aisle. Aisle 6.

Just kidding!

If it's not in the regular grocery store, what about a health/natural foods store?

Lucky Rescue October 29th, 2005 11:27 AM

You'll find it in grocery stores in Montreal. Yes, make sure it's pure pumpkin and not pie filling.

I got some in the baking aisle of Provigo.

kayla October 29th, 2005 11:32 AM

Ok I'll try the baking aisle at the IGA near me, I didn't see it at the Maxi. If not I'll head to the Provigo and stock up. Thanks!

Tina45 June 27th, 2008 02:34 PM

Pumpkin for my Chihuahua's

Plain canned pumpkin works for my Chihuahua's and since I don't like having to throw the rest of the can away, I put the rest in a ice cube tray and freeze it. That way I dont have to run out and get another can. Just a cube..

Love4himies June 27th, 2008 02:35 PM

I found it in Loblaws in the baking section right beside the pie filling cans.

rainbow June 27th, 2008 02:39 PM

Okay, this thread is almost three years old but I always find the plain canned pumpkin in the canned veggies aisle at the supermarkets here. :)

badger June 27th, 2008 04:42 PM

At Metro, it's in the produce section. Go figure.

14+kitties June 27th, 2008 06:45 PM

E.D.Smith canned pumpkin - 100% pure pumpkin.

jealma June 27th, 2008 08:08 PM

Yep that is where I found it. If you just can't find it you could try feeding a bit of white rice instead, that works to harden poops up too. I don't know how big your dog is so I can't say how much, but I"m sure common sense could be used. Another way you could go is squash.. I am not 100% sure on that one ( I Know the rice will work) but baby food squash could or might provide you with the same result and it's a much smaller jar.

Frenchy June 27th, 2008 09:00 PM

[QUOTE=14+kitties;614005]E.D.Smith canned pumpkin - 100% pure pumpkin.[/QUOTE]

I can't find it anymore around here :wall: I think I bought all they had :laughing:

luckypenny June 28th, 2008 08:26 AM

I just bake butternut squash in the oven :o. It has the same effect.

marko May 17th, 2012 01:34 PM

Canned pumpkin can be found in Montreal at Maxi et Cie .
The one we purchased at is:
4325 Jean Talon E St-Léonard
Montreal
(514) 727-3771

The brand we bought is E.D. SMITH Pure Pumpkin (100% pumpkin). It came in a 796 ml can and the price was $4.49

Longblades May 18th, 2012 08:41 AM

Just to note, you CAN use the stuff sold as pie filling. Only make sure it's the kind where you add all your own spices and extra ingredients. It's outrageous what they price that at when you can buy squash or pumpkin and cook your own. The can does save a little work though.

marko May 18th, 2012 10:51 AM

Does squash work as well as pumpkin?
Because actual pumpkins are near impossible to find except for around Halloween time.

hazelrunpack May 18th, 2012 04:49 PM

Yep, butternut squash works well, too. It doesn't keep too well in the refrigerator (which isn't a problem here cuz the Pack finishes it off in two days) but I think you can freeze the cooked squash in 'portions' and thaw for use as you need it.

Choochi May 19th, 2012 01:06 PM

Forget the pumpkin.

I have used it before and it does work, however it works just by adding more fiber into the poop, doesn't really help the situation.
What actually works much better, faster, and helps with the cause of the runs is slippery elm. You can pick it up at most health food stores and it works like an anti-inflammatory on the dog's gut. It solves the runs and soothes their tummy, it works much much faster then pumpkin, usually within one dose and actually begins to help the gut heel.