Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Pet product reviews - dog products (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Mushers Secret (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=82775)

CsqU4r3d November 13th, 2012 11:58 AM

Mushers Secret

After doing some research yesterday, I went out and bought some "Musher's Secret" to put on Chum's feet to help with the awful snow balls he gets whenever we go for a walk in heavy wet snow. Well this stuff is amazing...I applied a small amount on his entire paws, toes, pads, in between and the top of the paws. Off we went for our 3k walk in prime snowball weather at slightly above freezing, and did not have to stop even once to clear snowballs from his feet! The stuff absorbs right into the paw and hair. It doesn't stain the carpet or the furniture. He walked thru the kitchen right after I applied it and my floor is black so I did notice slight smudgey paw marks, but it mopped right up. The lady at the doggie health food store I bought it at says she puts it on her Westies legs and bellies as well. It is supposed to provide a barrier againt salt as well, as not everyone uses pet friendly de-icer. Chum didn't mind it at all...even seemed pleased when we got home and he turned his paws over and there were no snowballs to remove! :pawprint::dog::thumbs up

Barkingdog November 13th, 2012 12:07 PM

I used "Musher's Secret" on my last dog a Standard Poodle as his paws where getting all cracked up and "Musher's Secret" really made a huge diffidence .
I put on on his nose too as the air got so dry in my house in the winter. My dog would lick it off his paws and nose as he liked the taste of it. The can last a long time too.

hazelrunpack November 13th, 2012 02:42 PM

We bought some last winter but didn't have enough snow to need it. Definitely something we'll be trying out this winter, though, if the weather cooperates :thumbs up Thanks for the review! :D

hazelrunpack November 13th, 2012 02:43 PM

BTW, I'm jealous you already have enough snow!! :p

CsqU4r3d November 13th, 2012 03:20 PM

Good idea on the nose Barking Dog...Chum gets a band of dry skin across the top of his nose, especially during the winter here in Calgary at high altitude , I will try that. Hazel I would gladly have sent you some of mine this weekend. Thursday I had to shovel the walks and steps 4 times, Friday 3 times Saturday I just said screw it! On Sunday it finally quit snowing so I only had to shovel once! Then on Monday I had to brush about a foot of the stuff off my Tahoe and by then it was above zero and it weighed a ton!! AH the beauty of the Canadian west in winter. :wall::censored:

Barkingdog November 13th, 2012 04:16 PM

[QUOTE=CsqU4r3d;1049287]Good idea on the nose Barking Dog...Chum gets a band of dry skin across the top of his nose, especially during the winter here in Calgary at high altitude , I will try that. Hazel I would gladly have sent you some of mine this weekend. Thursday I had to shovel the walks and steps 4 times, Friday 3 times Saturday I just said screw it! On Sunday it finally quit snowing so I only had to shovel once! Then on Monday I had to brush about a foot of the stuff off my Tahoe and by then it was above zero and it weighed a ton!! AH the beauty of the Canadian west in winter. :wall::censored:[/QUOTE]

My dog nose never got dried out with the stuff on and I would put a little on my fingers when they got chapped. It is good stuff. I hope we will get some snow this winter not a lot but enough for my dog to play in.

angeldogs November 13th, 2012 07:04 PM

I think i will have to see if i can find some

Barkingdog November 13th, 2012 07:15 PM

You should be able to find it a pet store if not you can buy it on line.

angeldogs November 13th, 2012 07:31 PM

[QUOTE=Barkingdog;1049301]You should be able to find it a pet store if not you can buy it on line.[/QUOTE]

i have some sadies best and this paws spray find both makes a mess on the floors

CsqU4r3d November 13th, 2012 08:42 PM

I really like the fact that the mushers secret just absorbed right in...and if he hadn't taken a tour thru the kitchen immediately after I applied it , you never would have known he had anything on his feet. When I was done applying it to his feet I rubbed the residue into my hands, they never felt so soft!

angeldogs November 13th, 2012 08:45 PM

i really like the sounds of that i know with the sadies best his feet slip also.

Barkingdog November 14th, 2012 02:36 PM

[QUOTE=angeldogs;1049304]i have some sadies best and this paws spray find both makes a mess on the floors[/QUOTE]

"Musher's Secret" does not made a mess on the floors , my rugs never got stains from it. It's a very thick wax that come in a small can that about the same size of a can of chewing tobacco. It absorb right into your dog paws, and my fingers.

CsqU4r3d November 14th, 2012 04:51 PM

Just got back from our walk and still no snowballs, even though I was skeptical about not reapplying the mushers secret before we headed out. Damn if they weren't right. This stuff will turn out to actually be quite economical if I only have to apply it once or twice a week. It was $21 for the medium sized 200 gram tub. At this rate it should last quite a while, and it has already paid for itself in Chums comfort. It is supposed to protect from sand, rocks and hot pavement as well. I plan to use it all year round.:):highfive:

angeldogs November 14th, 2012 05:47 PM

The sadies is more like a paste.by the time i get the paws done is gets runny im going looking for the mushers

Goldfields November 15th, 2012 07:10 AM

I think I'll get some via ebay for the dry noses my shelties sometimes get, and for when the ground gets hot. Sounds really good.

Barkingdog November 15th, 2012 12:09 PM

I wonder if cows udders cream would work for dogs noses, people can use it for dry skin.

hazelrunpack November 15th, 2012 12:41 PM

You mean something like Bag Balm, Barkingdog? I use it on my hands but the dogs won't let it anywhere near their noses--I think the scent of it, which is quite strong, puts them off. (I don't like the smell of it, either :o)

CsqU4r3d November 15th, 2012 01:04 PM

When I was researching what to get, Bag Balm was one thing some people used. It does have lanolin and petrolatum in it and I was not crazy about either of them. As chum would be licking his feet and ingesting it. I couldn't find the exact ingredient list for mushers secret either except that it was 100% natural plant based human grade waxes and was not harmful if ingested.

Barkingdog November 15th, 2012 08:01 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;1049409]You mean something like Bag Balm, Barkingdog? I use it on my hands but the dogs won't let it anywhere near their noses--I think the scent of it, which is quite strong, puts them off. (I don't like the smell of it, either :o)[/QUOTE]

Yeah , Bag Balm, I never used it and did not realize it smelled strong. I was thinking of buying some , I guess I will not now.

Barkingdog November 15th, 2012 08:08 PM

[QUOTE=CsqU4r3d;1049412]When I was researching what to get, Bag Balm was one thing some people used. It does have lanolin and petrolatum in it and I was not crazy about either of them. As chum would be licking his feet and ingesting it. I couldn't find the exact ingredient list for mushers secret either except that it was 100% natural plant based human grade waxes and was not harmful if ingested.[/QUOTE]

I think that why is called mushers secret , the ingredients are a secret. I knew a woman that wanted to try and made it and sell it herself and she could not find the ingredients anywhere. I do not like using petrolatum and lanolin '
I just found this dog forum and someone posted how he made it.
[url]http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?77637-mushers-secret[/url]

You have troll down the site to find it. I hope we're allowed to post others forums here

kitona November 22nd, 2012 07:24 PM

Musher's Secret is essential for all 5 of my dogs as protection from all that awful, cancer-causing salt people put out for ice. There are varieties of melter salt that are supposedly ''pet safe'', but I'm not taking any chances.

Dog Dancer November 29th, 2012 03:03 PM

I know that salt is horrible stuff, but the animal friendly stuff is horrendously expensive and doesn't seem to work as well so far as I've seen. We have a really long sidewalk out front of our house and I can use an entire bag of salt on it every time it freezes or snows. Gosh if I had to pay $17 a bag I couldn't afford to keep the sidewalk safe.