Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Off topic forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   I am proud of myself! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=68321)

TacoGrl February 7th, 2010 05:25 PM

I am proud of myself!

Today, my washing machine stopped draining water...I was thinking HUGE repair bill! :eek: Well, I phoned my mom and she read out of a how to book and it said I needed to check the drain pump for blockage, but that was all it said. Well, I got on the ole internet and found a diag of my actual washer, took it apart and pulled out a big ole wad of stuffing from my comforter that the washer had eaten (I wondered where it had gone earlier) out of the drain pump...I did get quite wet in the process...I guess one has to actually TELL me to have a bucket at the ready for when the hose comes off the pump :rolleyes: I put everything back together (whole job took maybe 5mins + wiping up the water) and it works!!!! (and yes, I had kitteh help :D)

I know it doesn't seem like much, but I have never seen the inside of a washing machine before and I am proud of myself and even better, I don't have to cough up the $$$ for a repair person to come and laugh at me while they pull out a wad of stuffing! :D

Macomom February 7th, 2010 05:31 PM

Good job TacoGirl!

We had to do the washing machine repair a few months ago ourselves. I could not believe how much change we found!

hazelrunpack February 7th, 2010 05:33 PM

Good job! :highfive:

We almost always call the repair man, so I'm in awe! We're just so clutzy... :o If we try to fix it, it almost guarantees us a bigger bill in the end :rolleyes: :laughing:

TeriM February 8th, 2010 12:34 AM

Way to go :thumbs up.

Love4himies February 8th, 2010 08:17 AM

Great job, tacogirl, you probably saved yourself a hundred bucks or so. :thumbs up

pamha February 8th, 2010 09:09 AM

Way to go! It feels so empowering when you`re able to do something like this :thumbs up

TacoGrl February 8th, 2010 11:17 AM

I too can be a clutz...especially when it comes to removing plastic clips :( ...luckily I was so focussed on the rubber hose that the plastic it was attached to was spared LoL!

I do wonder how much a repair person would have charged...money just to come out and then ? for the actual 5min repair...

I wish I felt better about electrical things...I have a breaker that keeps blowing, but I just don't know...

Tig's mom February 8th, 2010 11:48 AM

[QUOTE=TacoGrl;882264]I too can be a clutz...especially when it comes to removing plastic clips :( ...luckily I was so focussed on the rubber hose that the plastic it was attached to was spared LoL!

I do wonder how much a repair person would have charged...money just to come out and then ? for the actual 5min repair...

I wish I felt better about electrical things...I have a breaker that keeps blowing, but I just don't know...[/QUOTE]
:thumbs up
Good for you to take the initiative and problem solve the situation.
If you needed a plumber (in Calgary, I live there also), it would have been
up to 200.00 /hr just to come and 'see what is wrong',They charge double time
on weekends. If you are having 'circuit/electrical problems' call the City,and they will get your electricity provider to come and inspect this.They do not charge for these kinds of visits, as it could be due to some work they are
doing in your area. Most breaker boxes are labelled to what they supply electricity to, (certain rooms, and stuff). I think it could also narrow down
what is drawing so much power it over loads, and the breaker shuts it off?
I think?:shrug: I still would call (Enmax), or 311 ,and have them come out.
JMO.Congrats again on the washing machine.:highfive:

14+kitties February 8th, 2010 03:34 PM

You go girl!!!!! :thumbs up
We recently had to call a repair guy for our washing machine. It stopped spinning. Cost us $90 for the part we needed and the guys time. Not bad.

Dee-O-Gee February 8th, 2010 09:39 PM

I hear ya when you take matter's into your own hands. My car door wouldn't close on the weekend. The door latch thing siezed up. So I sprayed some WD40 on the mechanism do-higgy thing, used and phillips screwdriver and un-jammed it! I'm sure it would have been a minimum 100 bucks from the shop!

A big pat on the back TG! Whoot whoot! :thumbs up