Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Fish (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Oh Danio (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=83595)

Dee-O-Gee March 7th, 2013 10:35 PM

Oh Danio

1 Attachment(s)
I'm afraid my poor Danio - boy (or girl) is starting to show signs of it's end of life.

I've been treating the tank with Melafix over the past few weeks and last evening, I topped the tank off with some distilled water and added more aquarium salts.

I came home tonight from work and it appeared lifeless in the tank. :(

After tapping the glass, it started to swim around again however; it looks very distressed. So I added 2 more teaspoons of Melafix, slow downed the filter and cranked up the heater a notch.

Keeping a watchful eye on the poor little guy. :pray:

[B]I bought this fish in 2000! It's 13 years old![/B]

[ATTACH]79178[/ATTACH]

hazelrunpack March 7th, 2013 11:58 PM

Aw, poor Danio. What's their usual lifespan? I don't think I've ever known any 'domestic' fish that old! :o

I hope it has an easy passing, poor thing!

How are the other fish doing?

marko March 8th, 2013 08:31 AM

wow that is old for a fish, no ? - sure hopes he gets better :goodvibes:

Barkingdog March 8th, 2013 09:54 AM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;1054842]Aw, poor Danio. What's their usual lifespan? I don't think I've ever known any 'domestic' fish that old! :o

I hope it has an easy passing, poor thing!

How are the other fish doing?[/QUOTE]

I thought my goldfish lived a long time when it lives at 8 yo.

I have heard of a fish getting acupuncture treatments when it was not feelng well . I hope the OP fish will recover.

Dog Dancer March 8th, 2013 06:01 PM

Hope your fishy is feeling better - 13 years seems like a long, long time to me. Two years was good in our tanks - I sucked at fish. 13 would be a great life. Good vibes that he's feeling better.

Dee-O-Gee March 8th, 2013 08:16 PM

Thank you everyone.

I set up the tank in 2000 and bought 2 Danios. Years ago, the other Danio did a Free Willy during the night from a holding tank I use when cleaning the big tank. :confused:

This guy has seen many Angels, Dalmatian Mollies, Strawberry, blueberry & lemon tetras come and go and now it's just him and an 8 Y.O. Pleco. One has to wonder if its swimming The Green Mile. :shrug: :)

I've been wanting to take down the tank now for the last few years and haven't purchased any new fish. But I am not going to do this until both the Danio and Pleco are gone.

I turned the heater down after an hour on a high setting then this morning, he was back swimming around. Now he's just lounging quietly in the corner.

Just hope the heat along with the Melafix and Stress Zyme will sort him out. :pray:

Barkingdog March 8th, 2013 10:13 PM

One of my goldfish jumped out the tank and I am not sure how long it was on the floor before I found it. It lived to be 8 yo. It would get very excited when it was time to eat, it was a cool fish.

Dee-O-Gee April 17th, 2013 08:52 PM

@ Barkingdog: Our Danio's partner did a free willy out of the holding tank [I]years[/I] ago. Hubby found it on the floor and thought it was one of our fish fridge magnets that fell of the fridge. When the fish didn't stick to the fridge, hubby realized it wasn't a magnet. :o

On a sad note, I came home from work tonight and found Danio lifeless. I know he was just a fish but he was part of the morning routine for 13 years. He'll be missed. :(

The only fish left is an 8 year old Pleco. I've been wanting to dismantle the tank as we're undergoing major home renovations right now and it's been so chaotic. :wall: There's an Aquarium store near and will see if they'll take the Pleco only if they have a 25+ gallon tank.

hazelrunpack April 18th, 2013 09:33 AM

Aw, sorry about your Danio, DOG. :( :grouphug:

pattymac April 18th, 2013 11:31 AM

wow 13 I would think that's a pretty long life too!! I had goldfish and the one I had lived to a ripe old age and he was huge. When I was leaving home to go to school, I sold him to a pet store so don't know how old he lived to be.

Dee-O-Gee April 18th, 2013 08:49 PM

I called the aquarium store today and the owner said she would take him in. I told her how old he was and that he was about 8 inches long. I also asked if he would go into a tank at least 25 gallons. Her reply was that he would go into her 50 gallon tank, WHEW!

So I'm going to take him up myself to the store just to make sure he's going into a larger home. Kinda sad to him go but at least he'll be able to get bigger in a larger tank. :shrug:

Other than the Pleco, all my other fur kids are staying put. :thumbs up

Dog Dancer April 26th, 2013 10:30 AM

Sorry to hear about Danio, but I think he had a good life with you! Your Pleco will be happy with a new tank too. You did good by them Dee-O-Gee.

Hope the reno's are going well.

Barkingdog May 2nd, 2019 10:15 PM

This thread is from 2013