Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Birds (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Help ! Baby bird in distress ! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=62755)

Frenchy May 13th, 2009 06:09 PM

Help ! Baby bird in distress !

1 Attachment(s)
I was just telling someone this afternoon , how I didn't find young dead birds this year on my lawn , like the other springs.... I come home to find one :sad: then I hear one screaming not far from there. It was in the grass so I took the dogs inside because I know where the nest is and was thinking that the mom would pick it up. But no , she went to it but I think she's not able to take it with her ? I can't put it back myself because it's inside the shed's roof.

So I put the baby in a shoe box and put it on my patio table. So the dogs can't get to it . I'm hoping the mom will pick it up or else ..... is there anything more I should do ? :shrug:

and no , I'm not adopting it :rolleyes:

ancientgirl May 13th, 2009 06:22 PM

Is there some sort of bird sanctuary you can call?

Frenchy May 13th, 2009 06:25 PM

[QUOTE=ancientgirl;779604]Is there some sort of bird sanctuary you can call?[/QUOTE]

omg here ? no !!! we don't even have a pound :sad:

Winston May 13th, 2009 06:30 PM

Frenchy I dont know too much about birds but I know there is usually a reason and the parents some times toss them out when they are sick. I think if you have a balnket or towel and put the bird in the box as close to the nest as possible mom or dad may come and try to get it. If it fell out it may be too injured! happened to me here with a baby cardinal..

It will need some warmth to survive the colder temps and without the parents I dont know if it will! :sad: Can you get to the nest at all?

Poor thing!

ancientgirl May 13th, 2009 06:33 PM

This is so sad. That poor little bird.:sad:

Love4himies May 13th, 2009 06:57 PM

How about PMing Melinda, I think she may have had some experience with baby birds.

Good luck, Frenchy. :pray:

Mat&Murph May 13th, 2009 07:01 PM

awww the poor thing!!! put a blanket in with it. mybe you will have to dig some worms or something. poor thing

Frenchy May 13th, 2009 08:19 PM

Well , I found another one :frustrated: that's the third one. First one , dead , second one in the box is .... barely alive , so is the third one. I put the third one in the box also , and put the box right next to the shed , below the nest.

I'm going to have to go outside each time the dogs want out , and supervise for them to not get to the box , but I don't think these birds will survive. :sad: I haven't checked on them for the past 30 minutes , to give the parents a chance to get them but , really , they were barely alive. :sad:

cpietra16 May 13th, 2009 08:22 PM

There are people in the west island that rescue birds and ofcourse le nichoir....

Frenchy May 13th, 2009 09:01 PM

I just checked on them ....

RIP little birdies :rip:

hazelrunpack May 13th, 2009 09:20 PM

Oh, what a shame, Frenchy :grouphug: :sad:

They were definitely too young to be out of the nest. I wonder if the nest was parasitized by cowbirds--the cowbirds hatch first and are big enough to push the host's nestlings out...

diandpat May 13th, 2009 09:25 PM

Oh that is so sad. :cry: I don't know anything about birds but it seems odd that three would be out of the nest. Perhaps they were sick :shrug:

At least you provided a safe, comfortable place for them to cross over.
:rip:

Melinda May 14th, 2009 04:23 AM

I'm so sorry I wasn't around Frenchy, (benjamin is in the hospital and I spent the day there) the only thing you can really do is to put them in a box like you did, but nail it as high into a tree as you possibly can, squirrels or other birds will often toss out babies to either take over their nest or at times eat them, yes, squirrels will sometimes eat them. Its very hard to feed birds that young, its done by tubing them. I'm sorry you had to go through that

ancientgirl May 14th, 2009 07:25 AM

Poor little things. I'm sorry there wasn't more that could have been done.:sad:

bendyfoot May 14th, 2009 02:36 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;779642]Oh, what a shame, Frenchy :grouphug: :sad:

They were definitely too young to be out of the nest. I wonder if the nest was parasitized by cowbirds--the cowbirds hatch first and are big enough to push the host's nestlings out...[/QUOTE]

How sad...Hazel, I was thinking exactly the same thing...it sure sounds like this is what happended. Sorry Frenchy.

krdahmer May 14th, 2009 07:27 PM

:rip: little birdies.... :grouphug: for you Frenchy :sad:

Mat&Murph May 14th, 2009 07:54 PM

Aww poor birdies! :grouphug: frenchy