Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Books (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Where the Red Fern Grows (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=27903)

erykah1310 June 19th, 2006 03:48 PM

Where the Red Fern Grows

Just curious if anyone else has read Where The Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls?
It was my favorite book as a preteen and still is! I have seen the Disney movie but no where as good as the book
Great Book about dogs none the less. And well its REALLY sad!

chico2 June 19th, 2006 03:51 PM

Erykah,I have yet to read it,have heard great things about it.

jesse's mommy June 19th, 2006 04:43 PM

Saw the original movie and they actually remade it a couple of years ago. I believe Dave Matthews is in it. Anyway, I hated it! My honey made me watch it and I cried and cried and cried and I hated it. I was so mad he made me watch it. I cried and cried and cried some more. I hate watching movies where the animals die. And I now feel like crying some more. Thanks a lot!

LibbyP June 19th, 2006 09:39 PM

Okay I read the book, saw the original, and I have the remake gotta say I love it,[B][/B] yes I cry like a baby every time I watch it[B][/B]:o

LianneCatherine June 20th, 2006 01:44 PM

I read the book as an adolescent, and cried like crazy. We probably watched the old movie in school, but I think I blocked it out. Poor babies, I hate when bad things happen to animals. I will literally turn a movie off and walk away if they kill an animal. It makes me so sad!!!! :sad:

Kerrye June 20th, 2006 01:51 PM

I havn't read it but I did read Beatiful Joe - Now thats an old tear jerker.

Jackie467 June 20th, 2006 01:55 PM

I read it once when I was a kid and never finished it once I saw what was comming. Then they had us read it in school, I still never finished and I failed the test because of it. I just can't bring myself to read the end because I know what happens. Someone told me the ending once but I don't really remember, I blocked it out.

erykah1310 June 20th, 2006 04:36 PM

Although yes the book is VERY sad. You have to keep in mind that back in those days this was unfortunately LIFE. And sorry to say but still is. Also, ITs fictional.
A huge part of life is death. Regardless if we like it or not, but i do understand how some would prefer NOT to read, imagine, see ( and so on) it.
None the less it was and still is IMO a great read.
Although it is ULTAMETLY sad. Still my fav book.

Puppyluv June 20th, 2006 05:15 PM

I LOVE this book! I read it so many times that when I was about 11 my parents went and bought me the booktape and I would listen to it as I went to bed, because they were sick of me staying up really late reading it again and again (they encouraged reading, but not at 11 pm when you're 11 yo). I listened to it until the tape couldn;t be read anymore! It's sooo sad, and in the booktape version they play this super creepy music when they are in the cave (on the way home from getting old dan and little ann) and when they are trying to hunt the disapearing coon. (I can't believe I rememeber all of this, I havent read/listened to it in about 6 or 7 years). I think I cried more in that book than in any other one. It is so well written, and as a result I had no interest in seeing the movie and doubt I ever will. I think I'm going to go pick up a new copy of it!

LynLyn November 27th, 2006 08:33 PM

I loved this book, it made me cry.

Kristin7 January 25th, 2007 07:47 PM

OMG, I LOVE this book!!! I cry every time I read it. Ok, it's been years since, but I remember well the story of Ol' Dan and Li'l Ann. So SAD, but great book. Good call.

Kristin7 January 25th, 2007 07:55 PM

When I read this thread I also thought of another favorite of mine, 'The Yearling' by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. I dont' remember it as much but there are some similarites, so if you loved 'Where the Red Fern Grows', you might try reading this one too.

allymack January 10th, 2008 07:23 PM

i know this is an old thread but i have to say i LOVE this book!it is by far one of the best books i ever read, sad but relly, good, i saw the movie, i dont think the one i saw was by disney:confused: but i really liked the movie too, you could really get in to it

dmc123 January 10th, 2008 07:31 PM

I read the book as a teen, and also since. I have also seen the movie(s). Wonderful story, brings tears everytime!

Diane

Winston January 10th, 2008 07:37 PM

I have read that book so many times when I was younger! loved and still do! tearful!

Cindy

want4rain January 10th, 2008 08:35 PM

*sniffles*

*sniffles some more*

they remade it??? *sniffles* i still cry when i see natural ferns. i just love Dave Matthews Band.

*sniffles*

-ash

erykah1310 January 10th, 2008 08:45 PM

I think im going to start reading it again, its been a few years...

*reaches at book shelf beside me for it*

Winston January 10th, 2008 09:01 PM

I just finished reading a book by Ted Kerasote called "Merles Door" Lessons from a free thinking Dog. It is a book about human and dog relationship but also dog behaviours....a good read actually! just borrowed it from the public library.

Cindy

Dracko January 10th, 2008 09:53 PM

I never read the book but watched the movie (the original) as a kid and bawled like a baby. I was almost afraid to click on this link as it brought back the memory. I would NEVER watch it again. Just too emotional.

Misery's company January 11th, 2008 07:55 AM

I loved this book! I also have watched the original but not the re-make because I didn't think they could top the original. When Misery had puppies, I named the largest Big Dan and the runt Little Ann! sigh, i want to read the book again I think... Thanks for reminding me!

SolaMio January 12th, 2008 08:45 AM

This is the book that made me want to have a dog in the first place. I also read it as a pre-teen, but I think my parents regretted buying me the book because I cried and cried for a puppy for days after I finished it. I mean CRIED. They wouldn't budge though- they had their doggie days with their Saints a few years before that and weren't ready to have a new dog. I had to wait until I was well on my own before I could think about a dog. And now I have Sola :D
However I don't think I could read the book again. If it upset me that much as a pre-teen I don't even want to think about how upset I would get now.
Oddly, my mother feels the same about Call of the wild by Jack London. You can't even bring it up. Or Old Yeller. I pity whoever brings that up around my mom :laughing: