Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   white drop after peeing (dog F/S) (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=65349)

Marcha September 1st, 2009 07:42 PM

white drop after peeing (dog F/S)

After our pup urinates, there's a little white-ish drop in the hairs around her vulva, even though her pee was clear.
[LIST][*]She is 14 weeks old[*]She has no prior history of UTIs[*]she is spayed (spca rules before any adoption)[*]Her urine is visually clear, not cloudy and is very light yellow[*]Her pee smells neutral or mildly like urine, depending on the time of day (first morning pee smells more strongly than a midday pee)[*]There is no blood in her urine[*]There are no 'bits' in her urine[*]She has no pain (yips, whimpers, etc) or signs of straining, [*]there's a continuous stream, it's not start/stop/start/stop[*]She pees a regular, reasonable amount of urine[*]She pees at expected times[*]She hasn't increased her frequency[*]There doesn't appear to be any sign of infection (temperature, lethargy, loss of appetite). [*]The white drop only appears after urinating - there are no drops in between urination[*]She's not licking or paying much attention to her nether regions in a way that goes beyond regular grooming [/LIST]
Probably unrelated, but hey - it's part of her nether region history: There was a lump about the size of half a walnut around her spay scar when we got her - it increased in size for about a week, then went down. The vet ruled out hernia, and thought it might have been fatty tissue around the healing scar. When it went down, it went down fast and was completely gone within a few days.

I am going to catch a sample of her urine and bring it to the vet tomorrow, just to make sure. But in the mean time, what could this white drop be? Does anyone have any ideas?

Frenchy September 1st, 2009 07:46 PM

Sounds like a yeast infection. It can go away by itself , if not , she'll need antibiotics.

Marcha September 1st, 2009 08:02 PM

Hm. Interesting.

We switched to biologically appropriate food recently (within the last month). Her system might be clearing out the grains and sugars and fillers from the Hills and MediCal she was getting prior to that. Those are excellent yeast foundations. I'll still take the urine in to the vet tomorrow, but I'll also give her some extra alfalfa, a/c vinegar, zinc and yogurt. Thanks Frenchy!

Frenchy September 1st, 2009 08:25 PM

Good luck , if it is a yeast infection , I had 2 fosters with it so far and they didn't need any meds to get red of it :thumbs up

Marcha September 9th, 2009 03:03 PM

It wasn't a yeast infection - instead, it's a bacterial vaginal infection. Bladder hasn't (yet) been affected - whew! So we're on abx now, and will re-test her urine in 2 weeks.

Frenchy September 9th, 2009 08:39 PM

[QUOTE=Marcha;823895]It wasn't a yeast infection - instead, it's a bacterial vaginal infection. [/QUOTE]

:confused: I thought they were the same :o

hazelrunpack September 9th, 2009 08:52 PM

Yeast is actually a fungus, Frenchy--bacteria are...well...bacteria. :o They respond to different meds--antibiotics won't work on fungi like yeasts.

Frenchy September 9th, 2009 08:55 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;824008]Yeast is actually a fungus, Frenchy--bacteria are...well...bacteria. :o They respond to different meds--antibiotics won't work on fungi like yeasts.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the explanation Hazel. I was thinking of vaginite (sp in french :o) and thought it was the same but different ways to call it.

I should get an english vet :p