Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Breed characteristics and traits (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hands Up-if your dog was ever attacked by another dog.. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=7659)

Akeeter September 25th, 2004 12:51 AM

Hands Up-if your dog was ever attacked by another dog..

Here's my list: for my N. M. Akita
1)Akita attacked @ 3 months by an adult F. Rotti in a leash free area.
2)Harrassed repeatedly on leash as a puppy by a neighbours off leash adult intact Rotti, until he pinned it.
3)Attacked by an off leash Airedale terrier , while he was on leash.
4)Bitten by a stray F. Lab crossbred while he was on leash.

Here's my list for my S. F. Lab.
1)Attacked by 2 adult Great Danes @ 7 months ( she was spayed). She was on leash, they were too until they broke away from their tiny, female owner.
2)Attacked by an off leash male intact German Shorhaired pointer. She was on leash, spayed & still under a year.

I didn't include any Pit Bull or Staffy attacks, because we have never had one.

Loki September 25th, 2004 02:46 PM

These are just the dogs that actually bit, or tried to bite. I'm not going to list the countless times that an unleashed dog harassed me in a leash-only park:
1 shih tzu.
1 Great Dane.( Repeatedly tried to get at my dog. In her defence, she was on meds at the time. She seems like a sweet dog, since the owner switched medications.)
1 Boston Terrier.
1 Collie.
1 Beagle.
2 Jack Russells ( 2 seperate dogs/incidents).
1 Spaniel.
In every case, except the Dane, the dogs(that attacked) were unleashed in a leash-only park. The Dane over-powered her owner( frail old man).

skunkney September 26th, 2004 12:16 AM

When I owned my dog, I always wondered what I would do if another dog attacked her and was actually going to inflict major injury or even kill her. What can someone do if this happens? I often thought of carrying bear spray, or something that made a loud noise, but what can someone legally do to stop the attacker before it does irreversable harm? Obviously, if it's a pit on the attack, theres not much you can do.

Loki September 26th, 2004 09:18 AM

I'm being serious here

A digital camera. Seriously, you'd be amazed at how much more responsibly people behave when they think they are being photographed. I know it can't really help against strays, but the negligent dog-owners usually get their dog under control pretty quick.

The thought of people arming themselves to go on walks is sad and a little scary. I'm not sure if you read any of the stories from the aftermath of BSL in Germany. No good can come from weapons. I think that education and getting dogs away from abusive/ irresponsible owners/ breeders is the only cure.

glasslass September 26th, 2004 01:53 PM

When Den-Den was attacked last July by the two neighbor dogs coming through the fence, I didn't have time to look for or grab a weapon. I just ran screaming and shouting like a banshee straight at them and fortunately, they dropped Den-Den and hightailed it back through the fence. You have to be prepared before the attack. When it happens, it's so quick, there's no time to look for something.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs September 26th, 2004 02:42 PM

The only *true* attacks I had were from the Lab that lived down the street. Her owners let her loose on their front property, as soon as Suki and I passed by, the Lab went after us and bit Suki on the back. She let out a horrific shriek but luckily Suki was alright. I wish I saw that this dog was loose before I walked by, though.

The other true attack was last winter Hamish was attacked by a JRT. When Hamish fought back, *I* was accused of having a vicious dog! It's like accusing a woman of assault if she fought back if a guy grabbed her :rolleyes: Both dogs were unhurt, but still, I was really peeved off at the owner for being an idiot.

On seperate occassions, we've been rushed at by a VERY aggressive Boxer and Labrador. I managed to scare the dogs off before anything happend, but the incidents left me shaken for a while.

bosco September 26th, 2004 02:57 PM

Off-leash dog parks are an invitation for disaster (and ignorant dog owners). I strongly oppose them. There is no reason why a dog of mine should run around with dogs that I do not know.

Here's some instances that I can recall happening to me or near me:

1) My golden was attacked by a territorial Wolfhound. I don't blame the dog, I blame the owner for not turning on the electric fence. However, the dog would have probably run right through it anyway.

2) My same golden was attacked by an enraged Shetland Sheepdog. Again, it had something to do with an electric fence.

3) A dachshund was attacked by a pack of corgis. He was on-leash, the others were not. The owner's head was, predictably, in the clouds.

4) I've seen several German Shepherd disagreements. One shepherd attacked a narcotics detection Labrador. What a shame.

Also, I have heard some not-so-pleasant experiences from the Pit Bull sector, of their dogs threatening eachother. But, this is to be expected because Pit Bulls should NOT be kept together unattended with other dogs. When I take the dogs out, I usually carry a stick so I can protect my own dog.

LL1 September 26th, 2004 03:20 PM

Only time my dogs were attacked was by a young intact male black lab.

melanie September 27th, 2004 12:16 AM

quote'--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Off-leash dog parks are an invitation for disaster (and ignorant dog owners). I strongly oppose them'

i say no their not, i have been to so many of these area over the years and can say that we never had a huge problem with any one, yeah sure the odd fight with another dog but gosh thats what dogs do, and it is a form of communication for them never forget dogs are natural animals, they seem to be getting wrapped in cotton wool these days. and i have met nasty dogs in parks, yards, on the street, not all bad dogs migrrate to the park, they are everywhere. not all off leash areas are bad, im sorry you seem to have had a bad experience but that is not to say that they are all the same. i would feel terrible if i did not have anywhere for my girl to go and have a good run, dogs and space is natural in my opinion.

we have been 'attacked' for want of a better word. but i have GSD girl , yeah sure she has started a few scraps, when another dog is with us she really does not like. but most dog fights we have been in are really only ever a tussle, some noise and usually the dogs are seperated and off every one goes. in 8yrs of having my girl i have only met a few really vicious dogs, yeah some at the dog park, but generally once they are seperated they dont go in for a secound round.

i also always wear sturdy work boot to the park or anywhere i take her, simply put if a dog attackes us not only does it have to deal with charlie it has to deal with me and my boots. yes she has been attacked by some pretty nasty dogs but we always manage to get rid of them without any injuries working together and she has never been hurt by another dog

Shelby September 27th, 2004 12:30 AM

Thankfully, Izzy and Wilson have never been attacked by another dog.

But Izzy did get kicked by a horse the other day (totally her fault, she kept licking the horses back legs and pulling on it's tail, luckily it was just a gentle warning "tap", enough to scare the life out of her and not go near the horses again!)

jansis4 October 8th, 2004 02:43 PM

Pitbull came through our fence to attack our dog

Hi,
New to this web site but got hooked quickly. We had a mixed male dog aged 9 in our fenced in back yard who liked to bark at passerbys on the sidewalk outside our fence. A pit bull came charging through our fence and grabbed our dog on the top of his head. I was 8 months pregnant at the time in the yard with our dog with my 3 year old son. I started screaming and my husband ran outside and was punching the dog to get him off our dog. He finally stopped when he had pulled off a piece of our dog's scalp, then spit it out and his owners got him. He was on leash but had gotten away from his owner. We found out his owners were training him for fighting.

In a barkpark our mini dachshund was attacked by a small terrier. Neither were hurt.

heeler's rock! October 8th, 2004 05:14 PM

I have to say that dog parks here in Calgary, are really good. I have never had a bad experience, with ANY of my dogs. I think they are a great place to socialize your dog and get it used to other dogs and people.

[QUOTE]Off-leash dog parks are an invitation for disaster (and ignorant dog owners). I strongly oppose them. There is no reason why a dog of mine should run around with dogs that I do not know.[/QUOTE]

I can think of a dozen reasons why your dog should run around with other dogs it doesn't know, the most important being socialization. It's unfortunate that you had a bad experience at your parks.....

I 100% agree with you Melanie. Too many people are treating their dogs like cute, cuddly little fur balls, and not like the animals they are. Sure, love your dog and give it treats and spoil it, but why treat it like a frail little baby? Animals have been quite good over the years sorting out their own issues. Not every growl is a dog fight, most of the time growls are warnings to the other dog. Most dogs comply. Dogs are animals. I hate it when owners of little dogs, pick their dogs up when they see me coming with my 3. That doesn't help it be more social.....

Writing4Fun October 8th, 2004 09:16 PM

Our first dog, Murphy, was attacked while we were out for a bike ride. She was trotting along on-leash. A large GSD came running off his property and jumped her. The owner was mortified, put his dog in the house, and let Murphy cool off in the river that ran through his property. Very nice gentleman.

Phoebe's first "attack" doesn't really count. In puppy kindergarten, during free play time at the end of class, another very "confident" pup came over and jumped her. She didn't appreciate it, and told the pup so, but the other pup wasn't listening. We tried to let them work it out on their own, but it just escalated until the two were cat-fighting (a whirl of flying fur and noise) under a set of chairs. By the end of the lessons, though, the other pup was getting the message much better. ;)

pitbulliest October 8th, 2004 11:16 PM

My Miniature Pinscher (RIP little buddy)..was attacked by a Giant Schnauzer...and my Pit Bull was attacked by a Rottweiller and a Jack Russel Terrier

krdahmer October 9th, 2004 03:38 AM

Now why wasn't that a headline.... 'Jack Russell Terrorizes Pit Bull'... ;)

pitbulliest October 9th, 2004 12:01 PM

I KNOW RIGHT?!..I mean, that thing was vicious!!!...and Messina gets scared of little rats..and I've seen a few that have bitten people..and a ****zu that has mauled a baby!!!..BUT NOOO..you never see that in the news huh? (no offence to small dog owners..I have a Chihuahua myself..and I know they can be bigger creeps than large dogs) lol

melanie October 9th, 2004 04:42 PM

as i child i had my face torn open by small poodles, they kept attacking me and really did damage and my father killed them right then and there, he had to to stop them and was a horrified father fearing for my life. it was horrific and developed a good fear of dogs in me, pit bull or poodle, dog attack is freaky. and when a pit bull attcks all and sundry know about it, but my sensible dad at the time put it down to dog behaviour and crazy dogs and did not see the need to report it, he had killed the dogs anyway, wonder what the reaction woudl be these days if the headline read 'small toy poodles maul small girl in horrific atack leaving scars' , he would not have seen a need to report it if it was PB either, he would have jsut shot it solving what he thought to be the prob- bad owner with crazy dog, that is how he viewed these things, and a good example of how a normal person shoud.

melanie October 9th, 2004 04:42 PM

shelby, poor izzy, i bet that scared the crap out of her, serve her right, she shouldnt lick everyone :D :D :D (charlie has a habbit of wanting to lick all and sundry)

as i child i had my face torn open by small poodles, they kept attacking me and really did damage and my father killed them right then and there, he had to to stop them and was a horrified father fearing for my life. it was horrific and developed a good fear of dogs in me, pit bull or poodle, dog attack is freaky. and when a pit bull attcks all and sundry know about it, but my sensible dad at the time put it down to dog behaviour and crazy dogs and did not see the need to report it, he had killed the dogs anyway, wonder what the reaction woudl be these days if the headline read 'small toy poodles maul small girl in horrific atack leaving scars' , he would not have seen a need to report it if it was PB either, he would have jsut shot it solving what he thought to be the prob- bad owner with crazy dog, that is how he viewed these things, and a good example of how a normal person shoud.

glasslass October 10th, 2004 05:13 PM

Should have shot the bad owner!

melanie October 10th, 2004 05:30 PM

galsslass, i think he almost did, i remember all the yelling and gun waving, i know my dad and i know he would have shoved that gun in their faces for sure, if it is mentioned 25yrs later he still gets really angry and fells bad about it, he now says he should never have killed the dogs in front of us, but he said at the time he was in a blind panic and jsut wanted me safe, so i understand that. he is my hero anyway.

Lady_D October 10th, 2004 05:58 PM

Zues had finished all his shots and we thought it was time to take him out to the dog park. We took him out to the park a few times and things went fine… but just a few days ago Zeus (4mo rotti) was playing around with a JRT, 2 yo Rotti and an alpha female husky… and all of a sudden “playing” turned into war.

The three of them all started to attack Zeus. (barking, growling, snarling, you name it) I heard pitches of screams coming from Zues that I didn’t know he could reach. So at first I was thinking to myself, “okay they are just showing the new guy who is boss”… then it got more intense and that’s when I ran in. As soon as I got close to them, the JRT ran around me and bit me in the bum. He didn’t tear my pants, but he did indeed get a nice mouthful.

Once all the dogs were separated we let them relax and take a breather. We thought that they dogs were just playing around and it got out of hand so we let the dogs play with each other again. The 2yo rotti and Zeus were staring at each other and all of a sudden the rotti darted for Zeus. (and again the screams, yelps, growls, snarls,) and I scream “enough”! And the owner ran in and grabbed his dog off Zeus.

Pretty scary I must say. I was in complete shock. Even though I ran towards the dogs the first time, I wouldn’t know what to do. You can’t get your hands involved because you might get mawled. You can’t start kicking at the dogs because you may miss and end up really hurting them. So what do you do?? There’s gotta be a way to separate play fights that get out of hand humanely. Like a noise or something… fog horn? :rolleyes:

melanie October 10th, 2004 06:44 PM

i jump up and down real close and scream enough at the top of my lungs, this usually gets a little reaction like a look from the dogs and that is when you can break it up, i also use a choker chain so i often throw that into a fight for a distraction, if at home use your hose or anything. and i tell you now, if a JRT bit me on the bum he would have got a good boot from me, yes if big dogs are attacking my GSD i will go in kicking, to me i have to get them off and nothing else is as important, if their owners refuse to look after their dogs then it is fair game as far as im concerned, and that JRT if his owner allows him to bite humans then he should not be allowed to play.

poor little zues, not nice for a pup.

and if you do go in kicking be careful, i once went in kicking when a mate was in a punch up at a bar, they had him on the floor beating him, so i started kicking wildly to get them off. later that night he rubbed his head and said 'who was the mongrel kicking me in the head?' opps well i was sorry but i was just trying to help. :D :eek:

glasslass October 10th, 2004 08:52 PM

Mel! You're a wild woman! You'd be the one I'd want protecting my back though! A spray bottle works pretty good too!

pitbulliest October 10th, 2004 09:16 PM

A little late to reply..but I was reading some of the earlier messages here and I just wanted to say:
If you EVER find out or are suspicious of someone that is teaching their dog to fight (especially pit bulls), PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE call the HUMANE SOCIETY....don't bother with the Police since they usually don't give a rat's ass...someone on here was mentioning that they found out that the pit bull that attacked their dog and ripped off their scalp was being trained for that? I HOPE I HOPE I HOPEEEE you called the Humane Society..that is definately what they are there for..and NO poor animal deserves to be tortured in a fighting pit...those poor dogs deserve a good life..not a bunch of scummy owners.

As for dog parks...I definately believe they are a place for disasters..the number of dog fights and attacks that I've seen in dog parks are tremendous...and can be ohh so easily avoided...I don't think socialization is a good excuse either..you can do plenty of socializing with your dog WITHOUT having to take them to an offleash park..alot of dogs actually learn bad behaviors in places like that and can often become quite aggressive instead of more social around other animals..
Why not take your dog for a walk downtown, or even at a local onleash park where other dog owners take their pets...your dog can sniff the other dog, say hello..and meet the other owner...and then you're on your way again...socialization doesn't necessarily mean your dog has to have full body contact with another dog...as most people think is necessary..at least that's what tends to happen at dog parks..the animals get all excited and hyper...start bullying one another..jump onto one another..bark..yap...its too stressful.

Not to mention, a word of advice..if you own a pit bull, you SHOULD NOT even be going to an offleash dog park..NO EXCUSES WHATSOEVER...that is the last place a responsible pittie owner should be taking their dog...its a big no no..

Anyways..that was my two cents about dog parks and stuff..

*steps off of soap box* :)

Lucky Rescue October 10th, 2004 09:50 PM

[QUOTE]Zues had finished all his shots and we thought it was time to take him out to the dog park. We took him out to the park a few times and things went fine… but just a few days ago Zeus (4mo rotti) was playing around with a JRT, 2 yo Rotti and an alpha female husky… and all of a sudden “playing” turned into war[/QUOTE]

Poor puppy.:( Yet another example of why dog parks are a bad idea. A puppy attacked in this way could become very aggressive towards other dogs as he matures and with a dog as big as a Rottie, this could be a problem.

Unless you can guarantee the actions of every single dog in the park, don't risk it.

[QUOTE]if you own a pit bull, you SHOULD NOT even be going to an offleash dog park..NO EXCUSES WHATSOEVER.[/QUOTE]

Amen.

Mysts38 October 11th, 2004 09:34 AM

Dog Parks

I dont believe in off leash parks as well..they are a recipe for disaster..I use to take cujo for a run with 6 other dogs that he knew well and grew up with..but even then,one day when we were finished with our run..we all stopped at one of the dog owners house for treats..one large male dominate dog(that cujo knew very well) went after Cujo for no reason...ny boy yelped and the owner pulled him back(both on leash) she apologized over and over..but you know I never quite trusted that dog again and refused to take Cujo on the dog runs.

I wont be taking hannah next spring on the dog runs if that dog is around...

heeler's rock! October 11th, 2004 11:35 AM

Like I have said before, I don't know how off leash parks are in your neck of the woods, but here in Calgary, the ones I have been to have been awesome. I have never EVER had a serious issue with mine or any other dogs. Sure, there have been power struggles, but they're over in an instant and no dogs are injured, they just go on their way. That rarely happens though, so I'm not gonna stop going just because of a bit of barking and growling. It's like sending your kids to school. You're not gonna withdraw them altogether from school because of one disagreement. I do have my dogs on leash when we're not in a designated off leash area and I find that if there are other dogs around, they get even more anxious and protective.

I'm not advocating all dog parks because I know there are other places that have horrible dog parks and I don't know how things are in other cities, so I choose not to get involved with that. I also don't go to the offleash parks everyday, just every now and then. I love them because of their distractions. I choose not to shelter my dogs and I train them out in the open, off leash with distractions whenever I can. I need to know that they'll listen to me, no matter where we are. Then again, this is all just my opinion and based on my awesome offleash experiences here in Calgary. It might not be the same for everyone.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I'm not gonna stop going to offleash parks here just because a bunch of people who don't live in Calgary, tell me they're bad.

meggie1425 October 11th, 2004 11:40 AM

I dont have a dog, but theres an (unoffical) off leash dog park right behind my house. But most of the regular dogs who go there all know each other, and get along very well (they all run around and play while their owners talk to each other) its very entertaining to watch. :D

Required_Fields October 12th, 2004 09:33 AM

Owners wake up

My 36 lbs. dog was recently attacked and bit by a husky, and earlier this year attacked and bit by..yes... a pitbull.

[B]In both cases I blame the owners for extremely irresponsible ownership. [/B]

The husky owner did not intervene in the fight but just stood there right behind his dog and watched. He did not even attempt to grab his dog and never called him to stop. This was a very scary experience and my dog ended up at the vet.

The pitbull owner still lets her dog off-leash in our neighbourhood park which is aweful because this is a dog which is definitely aggressive towards other dogs. The same dog tried to go after my dog a second time on a different occasion when my dog was on-leash and the pitbull was offleash.

This type of behaviour is simply outrageous. I do believe that all dogs should get the proper exercies, but please if you are not sure about your dog temperament please stick to on-leash or use a muzzle.

mastifflover October 12th, 2004 09:57 AM

My Neo was attacked by a JRT and also a Boorder Collie. In both cases he never retaliated and both owners seemed to not be phased by their dogs bad behaviour. The JRT was a constant thorn in Boo's side always going after him and the owner thought it it was funny the little dog attacking the large dog. I began to get really pissed at this irresponsible owner and told him that he is not going to think it is so funny when my 185 pound dog decides he has had enough with this small white untrained lunatic of a dog. I reported my problem to the Humane Society just in case my dog ever did retaliate my dog was not being pts because of this a$$hole.I also told the owner that I was reporting him and the dog. Surprisingly there were more owners of small dogs that sided with me I was shocked. They said the dog goes after any dog large or small. He no longer has been seen at the park that was over a year ago. My guy Buddy has been attacked by a very aggressive dane who should not be allowed off leash under any circumstances as his owner says. Her BF thinks he should be allowed off leash at the park. There is the problem she is very responsible he is just plain stupid when it comes to dogs. She tries to explain that if her dog attacks another dog he will be put down as well as probably kill the other dog. This dane is beautiful but was severely abused and she is trying to socialize him and gain his trust and get him to trust others. Funny how almost none of these attacks were pit bulls well this would never make the news. Buddy was also bit by a small white fluffy thing but we are still waiting on the court date for that one which I also got bit and the owner tried to blame my dog and not hers who did the biting