Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rock Chewer (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=35252)

jessymoka January 13th, 2007 02:11 PM

Rock Chewer

:dog:
Does anyone else have a dog that loves to chew rocks??
I'm not even sure if that is good for her teeth:confused:

I never let her have them and being that we don't have rocks in the yard I am not sure where she finds rocks all the time??????
But she is always bringing them in, and she is alway unplease when I take them away??

breeze January 13th, 2007 02:50 PM

yes i do, i have a 5 month old that loves rocks i too take them away but she still finds them everywhere. it is enough to drive you crazy always taking them out of her mouth. as for are they good for her teeth i don't think so (lol) but we can not rid the world of rocks. i do know that she eat the very small ones before i can get them away and they do pass. but...... it is not easy to diswade her from doing this i just keep taking them away maybe she will get the message.:fingerscr

Hunter's_owner January 13th, 2007 03:46 PM

Rocks can be quite dangerous. Not only can they damage teeth, but if swallowed, they can build up in the stomach and require surgery.

Prin January 13th, 2007 03:53 PM

Yeah, rocks break teeth..:o Best to keep her displeased with you than tootless...:o

hazelrunpack January 13th, 2007 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We have 3 rock hounds here. I think they dig them up. It's a real chore to keep them from chewing and/or swallowing them. It's bad for the teeth and certainly not good for the stomach if they manage to ingest them. Slowly but surely, as we take and toss the ones they find outside the fence, the yard is being "derocked". They didn't find nearly as many this summer as last. :shrug:

When we regraded the yard and put in landscaping, we were worried about them eating landscape rock. Our solution was to put in really big rocks...

[ATTACH]21378[/ATTACH]

They can still roll them, but they at least can't eat them! :thumbs up

Frenchy January 13th, 2007 05:27 PM

Sam sometimes will have one in his mouth , I always take them out , he never swallows them, I guess he just likes to "play" with it. :shrug: But he knows it's a no no.

erykah1310 January 13th, 2007 07:33 PM

Kita saw a turtle at camp when she was a youngin, and it kept walking ( sllllooooowwwwlllly) so since then she has always thought that rocks ( especially bigger ones) would start walking away too. :D she doesnt eat them or chew them but she "butts" them with her nose as if to say... " Get going... dont you have somewhere to be?"

BEDPhoto January 13th, 2007 09:02 PM

mine too

my year old lab mix is constantly chewing on rocks. Here in Arizona I dont have grass, I have gravel (xeroscape cause of lack of water) and she wont chew on the gravel but will dig through it and pull up bigger rocks out of the soil.

I call her a truffle-pig.

Our trainer said its not uncommon with labs but I had never seen the behavior before.

Hunter's_owner January 13th, 2007 09:06 PM

Yeah our vet warned us about that when we first got our lab. He told us that the first surgery he had to do was because a lab had been eating a lot of rocks.

hazelrunpack January 13th, 2007 09:30 PM

[QUOTE=erykah1310;351953]Kita saw a turtle at camp when she was a youngin, and it kept walking ( sllllooooowwwwlllly) so since then she has always thought that rocks ( especially bigger ones) would start walking away too. :D she doesnt eat them or chew them but she "butts" them with her nose as if to say... " Get going... dont you have somewhere to be?"[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]hehehe[/SIZE] What a hoot! :laughing:

erykah1310 January 13th, 2007 10:26 PM

It was friggen adorable... she was so puzzled by that moving rock. She watched it for HOURS...:D
:sorry: for threadjacking

phoenix January 13th, 2007 10:34 PM

My neighbours had a dog that was a rock CHEWER (not player, or digger or pusher, but actually chewed like a bone). They tried to stop her but did not succeed, and eventually she wore down all of her teeth and at a fairly young age had to change to soft food. Do everything you can to stop your dog! It wasn't pleasant for that dog!

jessi76 January 14th, 2007 07:48 PM

I recently saw a dog toy that was called "the rock". it looked exactly like a rock, but was solid rubber. I'm not sure if it'd help or hurt... may encourage the behavior, or may help by being soft on the teeth. I think it was around $10-$15. it looked super-tough too.