Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Wellness Core..canned (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76268)

chico2 April 5th, 2011 10:18 AM

Wellness Core..canned

I recently bought a few cans of Wellness Core,since my cats are getting a little blase with the regular Wellness.
They love the Core,but it says it has extra protein??
Is that bad for Vinnie who needs to lose weight,or for Chico who could use some extra weight??

kathryn April 5th, 2011 10:22 AM

I don't really feel that protein has much bearing on weight gain or loss.... just from my experiences at the pet store. I think it all more or less has to do with calories, carbs, fat etc.

How do the calories compare to regular Wellness?

chico2 April 5th, 2011 11:08 AM

Kathryn,I have no Core left to compare with,only bought a couple of cans to try,but since they liked it I wanted to buy some more.
Right now,I have Wellness,Merrick,Natural Balance and Holistic Select in the cupboard none of which these pampered felines eat with gusto:yell:

kathryn April 5th, 2011 11:26 AM

Lol, I feel like I am the only one with cats that eat like dogs?? :rolleyes: The only thing recently I've found them to not want to eat is Wellness Trout & Salmon flavor in the yellow can. I think maybe I got a bad batch though, because I have two cases and when I had grabbed a can from the one case they LOVED it, but when my mom restacked the cases of canned food the other day the unopened case made its way to the top and I have tried 2 cans out of there and both times the cats, all 13 insides and 5 or 6 outside turned their nose up to it :eek: So it ended up being possum food.. I'm taking it back to work today and telling them they should send it back for a new case.

anyways

Core fish:

[QUOTE]Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein Not Less Than 12.0%
Crude Fat Not Less Than 6.0%
Crude Fiber Not More Than 0.34%
Moisture Not More Than 78.0%
Ash Not More Than 2.31%
Magnesium Not More Than 0.043%
Taurine Not Less Than 0.10%
As Served Per Can (percent per can)
Protein: 13%
Fat: 7.17%
Fiber: 0.34%
Met. Energy (Kcal/kg): 1,230
Ash: 2.31%
Magnesium: 0.03%
Taurine: 0.29%
Caloric Analysis (kcal/can)
5.5 oz. 192[/QUOTE]

Original Chicken

[QUOTE]Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein Not Less Than 10.0%
Crude Fat Not Less Than 5.0%
Crude Fiber Not More Than 1.0%
Moisture Not More Than 78.0%
Ash Not More Than 1.95%
Magnesium Not More Than 0.025%
Taurine Not Less Than 0.10%
As Served Per Can (percent per can)
Protein: 12.0%
Fat: 11.0%
Fiber: 0.27%
Met. Energy (Kcal/kg): 1,411
Ash: 1.9%
Magnesium: 0.02%
Taurine: 0.15%
Caloric Analysis (kcal/can)
3 oz. 120
5.5 oz. 220
12.5 oz. 500[/QUOTE]

Not any major differences. You're better off with SCM reading this stuff off to you though :o

chico2 April 5th, 2011 03:56 PM

Yes Kathryn,I see what you mean,thank's!
When I feed them a variety of foods,they will eat the Wellness,but only the Turkey/Salmon,Turkey and the Chicken.
It's no big deal,I just wondered about the Wellness Core,but it seems ok and only 10 cents/can more.

Love4himies April 5th, 2011 04:45 PM

I think SCM mentioned that there is really no significant protein difference in them, hopefully she will be see this thread and let you know for sure.

My cats are off Wellness again :frustrated:. Some batches they like, others they won't touch unless I add a fishy flavour of Fromms 4star or Now Trout.

sugarcatmom April 5th, 2011 05:13 PM

[QUOTE=Love4himies;1000803]I think SCM mentioned that there is really no significant protein difference in them, [/quote]

Tis true. Here's my previous post on that: [url]http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=755332&highlight=wellness+core+protein#post755332[/url]

But even if it did, that isn't a bad thing with respect to weight gain or loss. If you're kitties are liking it, chico, then go ahead and feed it. :thumbs up