Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Open Gardens, what a joy to visit them, really. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=84749)

Goldfields November 3rd, 2013 06:54 PM

Open Gardens, what a joy to visit them, really.

3 Attachment(s)
I am ashamed to say that I took no photo's of the first garden I went to. Pity, it was a bit formal but superbly done, the crowning glory IMO being a huge oak tree for shade in our hot summers, and a beautiful area for outdoor wining and dining.
However, this is the second garden, belonging to this superb old home which isn't heritage listed but should be. The owners won't push for it because if it was listed that really limits the work they can do on it. It originally belonged to a Dr, in fact there were 3 Dr's homes in a row back in the day. The garden is divided into garden rooms, and where one goes close to a fence they'd put a mirror to make it look bigger. Nice garden ornaments, very tasteful, very cool and shady. Loved this old palm.

Goldfields November 3rd, 2013 07:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This lovely old stone fence dividing two garden rooms I'm told by the owner was topped with high wire and whole lot was overgown with ivy. They must have been so happy to unearth such an attractive fence. :) Next photo shows their outdoor meal area at the back of the house, and a nice touch at this garden was that she had set out a table with some lovely garden books for people to look at, had these vases( x2) of Just Joey roses to adorn the table, and classical music playing. I could have stopped my tour right there, especially as morning tea was supplied.

lindapalm November 3rd, 2013 07:13 PM

Very lovely grounds, I bet you didn't see a weed anywhere. Reminds me of my house so much. (In my dreams)

Goldfields November 3rd, 2013 07:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I liked this garden. While a bit formal and manicured you could still imagine what fun children could have in it, or how relaxing it would be to come home to after work.

Goldfields November 3rd, 2013 07:19 PM

LOL. Yes, we can all dream, lindapalm. And, no, I did not see a weed. I did see some lovely green petunias , also a nice pale pink aquilegia I'd have liked in my garden.

Goldfields November 3rd, 2013 07:32 PM

Now, if you disregard the solar panels on the roof, this next home is 150 years old, the old Vicarage. Not a big garden and funnily enough, the landscaping that was done didn't look out of place. I was pleased to see that her Sprekelias(Jacobean lilies) are doing so well in the ground. Mine are potted but now I might start looking for a place for them.

Goldfields November 3rd, 2013 07:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Tried to add the photo's on the last post but couldn't.

Goldfields November 3rd, 2013 07:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I write a little shopping list as I inspect these gardens, so this was one rose I'm after now, the Rugosa rose, Frau Dagma Hastrup.
The Golden Iceberg standard rose was nice too, but doubt if I want it.

Goldfields November 3rd, 2013 07:49 PM

I need more time to show you the next garden, it was sensational. Have to go mow a lawn now. (sigh)

hazelrunpack November 3rd, 2013 11:42 PM

Amazing how different the two gardens are! Looking forward to the next set of pics!

Goldfields November 4th, 2013 07:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, imagine coming home to this, Hazel. I swear the only thing missing in this garden was peacocks, and maybe a Rolls out the front. :D

Goldfields November 4th, 2013 07:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I was in Heaven, all those roses.:lovestruck: I should know the name of that turquoise flower as I have it here, but no, it's forgotten.

Goldfields November 4th, 2013 07:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Had to show off this rose, I'll be looking for it when rose season arrives again. :thumbs up

Goldfields November 4th, 2013 07:27 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Imagine the birdlife they'd get in this garden.

Goldfields November 4th, 2013 07:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
This garden was one lovely surprise after another.

Goldfields November 4th, 2013 07:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have a feeling she called these Elizabeth ducks but surely that can't be right?

Goldfields November 4th, 2013 07:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Roses, roses and more roses. :thumbs up This was a circular rose walk, with hybrid teas and floribundas in the middle, and her David Austins around the outside.

Goldfields November 4th, 2013 07:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The occasional Bearded iris. Her roses do better than mine because it's not so hot down there.

Goldfields November 4th, 2013 07:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
This bed was on the right side of the drive as you came in the gate, but just look at the view over the side fence.

Goldfields November 4th, 2013 08:02 AM

Only one more to go and not many photo's of it. I haven't downsized them yet so I'll work on that ASAP. It was just roses I suppose, but some are worth a look.

hazelrunpack November 4th, 2013 10:00 AM

Wowser! You're right! Peacocks would fit right in! :D Thanks for that tour, GF! I wonder if she has a gardener?

marko November 4th, 2013 11:36 AM

Lovely set GF! Such nice landscaping overall.

Goldfields November 4th, 2013 06:47 PM

Yes, Marko. The landscaping was lovely, and something I can't consider myself while I have my cattle dogs. I need long open spaces for them to gallop or chase Cuz balls, but I would love to see curved beds rather than straight lines. :( That garden, and the next one, are not going to be open to the public again, so I'm glad I went along.

Goldfields November 4th, 2013 07:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This was the last garden. I didn't take many photo's as it was mainly just roses. Those I did get photo's of were roses I might put on my shopping list. The pink one on the arch is Zepherine Drouhin, flowering very nicely here too this season.

Goldfields November 4th, 2013 08:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
These 3 caught my eye.
Queen Mother.
Climbing Aloha
Bettina - Wow! Lovely rich colour.

Goldfields November 4th, 2013 08:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I took a photo of their Hot Chocolate as a reminder of what mine will grow into.
Next one was labelled Ian Thorpe but I'm not sure it is. Unusual colour anyway.
You know my liking for striped roses. :) This is Maurice Ultrillo, one of the Delbard roses.

Well, that'll do I think. I was hoping there'd be some Open Gardens down in the Western District of the state but I may have missed them. I shall do some Googling. :)

lindapalm November 4th, 2013 09:29 PM

What are the thorny looking ball shaped things in the picture with the pink roses? Very strange looking. You can tell they have no dogs, the grass doesn't have yellow, burned out spots on it. Must be nice.

Goldfields November 5th, 2013 07:11 AM

I thought at first it was Sea Holly, or Eryngium to give it its correct name, lindapalm, but don't quote me on that. I have some in a pot, so tomorrow I'll take a look. Hope Roo hasn't removed the tag. Because of the number of dogs I have, and have had in the past, my closest toileting area never has grass on it. That doesn't bother me other than it gets very hot for the dog's paws in Summer. If I had a nice suburban garden though, well, I'd be worrying about the lawn and the yellow spots too. They never seem to happen here in any of the grassed areas, which, come to think of it, is really strange, isn't it?