Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Crazy Dog!! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=83380)

pattymac February 2nd, 2013 09:06 PM

Crazy Dog!!

So Bayley has decided that after supper is play fetch in the house time! We've been doing it for a little while but nothing consistent so I kinda forgot today. So today she comes over, puts her head in my lap and gives me the sad dog eyes. I pet her, that's not it, so then I notice that she's dropped her little foam ball on the couch. Yes, she has a little foam ball, the cat kind. I know some will say it's dangerous but she is soooo careful with it and it's her fave in the house toy. OMG she's so funny, if I don't throw it right away, she growls at me, then if I pretend to throw it, she gets her front paws up on the arm of the couch and barks at me. I suppose she would scare some people cause when she drops it in my hands, she's growling the whole time but she's always been very vocal when she's playing. Of course, I'm a lousy thrower and right now there are two little foam balls under the back of the pantry. You should see the look I get when they go under there! I told her she'd have to convince Noella to go fish them out for her

Barkingdog February 3rd, 2013 12:03 PM

It is not a good idea to let a dog growl at you , that mean the dog is the leader of the pack.

pattymac February 3rd, 2013 12:13 PM

Umm sorry BD, I don't go with that. I know her growls and this is a play growl, same with her barking. She's got different barks for different situations. I never stop her from growling, she growls at her cats, especially when they're stealing her space. I'd rather have her growl at them than bite them and ask questions later.

Etown_Chick February 3rd, 2013 04:07 PM

Patty my dog does the same. If it's fetch time, nothing I'm doing is important. He'll bark teh way dogs bark at each other when it's time to play. I don't worry about it. It just means he has a lot of energy and we better get outside and wear it off.

pattymac February 3rd, 2013 06:22 PM

Bayley's weird she loves being outside, but won't play fetch outside!! So she has some soft toys that are ok in the house...of course, the cats have to stay out of the way!!

Marycv February 17th, 2013 09:02 PM

I don't think it's a good idea to let Bayley bark, this would give her encouragement to do it all the time. Even growling and teasing isn't good either, it could lead to bad hahaviour. Just be careful and enforce the dog not to bark.

pattymac February 17th, 2013 10:11 PM

That's the way she plays, I very rarely discourage her from talking and other than letting us know when there's someone outside she's quiet. I haven't even been able to get her to howl, I know it's in there somewhere!! As for growling she can growl whenever she wants. I'd much rather her growl at the cats when they're bugging her than have her go to a nip. They understand her growl and respect it. I know her growls, she has her play growl and her I don't know who you are and her buzz off cat growls.

ownedbycats February 18th, 2013 06:29 AM

I also have a very vocal dog, and the play growl isn't exactly a growl, that's just the closest descriptor I can come up with. Your right Patty, there.s a big difference between the "this is fun, but needs sound effects" noise and the "dangerous stranger" and "misbehaving cat/puppy noises".

Etown_Chick February 18th, 2013 09:01 PM

I would NEVER try to dissuade a dog from growling. Non-play growls are warnings. Would I rather the dog bit or attacked with no warning? Of course not.
And despite what Cesar Milan says on his tv show, not EVERYTHING dogs do is about dominance.
Lots of us know our dogs, and what their vocalizations mean.

Longblades February 19th, 2013 09:38 AM

LOL, and here I am, working so hard to get my dog to growl when he plays tug. Because a growl is a sign he's really into it and I want it to be a strong reward and I want him to be into it.

I agree, a growl is not always a threat. My dog growls when he plays. And once in a blue moon while he's dreaming. :)

I also strongly agree that you do NOT stop the growl. Instead you find out what is causing the growl and work to fix that, if it's not play. If a growl is a warning of discomfort and a possible bite to come you sure as heck want to be warned first, right? Rather than be bitten out of the blue?

Rgeurts February 19th, 2013 04:27 PM

I couldn't agree more.... you don't need to discourage a growl. Some dogs are just vocal. Nookie sounds like a vicious monster when he's playing, but that's ALL he's doing, playing. And I LOVE when he's vocal... it makes me laugh. If you didn't know him, you might be afraid. But anyone who does know him would also know he's a HUGE puppy, even at almost 3 yrs old and doesn't have a mean bone in his body. And I also agree that when it comes to all the "don't let your dog do that, he's trying to dominate you" crap, it' just that... crap. I've had dogs all my life and if I treated them the way Cesar Milan teaches (and many other trainers out there), I'd never have the cuddly, sweet snuggle bugs that I do have. They love to play tug-o-war, they're allowed on the couch, they sleep with us, and Nookie (yes, all 95 pounds of him) will climb on my lap for cuddles and loves :D :lovestruck:
I have never seen any of this as a sign of disrespect or dominance.

Pattymac... you need to post some pics!!

pattymac February 19th, 2013 04:59 PM

I'll see what I can do :) Ya Bayley sounds like she's going to rip my arm off or something when we get playing. It is a totally different growl than her warning growl. Somewhere I read that a warning growl usually sounds like it's coming from deep inside from the chest and a play growl is all in the throat. If she means it, she curls her lips back too. where when she play growls, she covers her teeth, if that makes sense. Now when she's on the couch with me and one of the cats shows up, she doesn't like sharing, it's an oh crap here comes one of those pain in the butt cats growl which sounds more like complaining and she gets down..Bobee takes total advantage of this and hops up as she gets down!