Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Cat's anus has puss - any ideas? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=11484)

Bella and Cody January 25th, 2005 06:49 PM

Cat's anus has puss - any ideas?

Today I noticed my cat Bella was licking her anus. I've never seen her do this with such intensity before. I picked her up and turned her over and when I pulled her tail back to look at her anus a squirt of what looked like puss came out. She is active and alert. I grabbed a tissue and dabbed at the puss. It is yellow and is very watery. Any ideas or suggestions? I am calling the vet clinic to make appointments for both my cats but it my be a week or so before they get in since its a military facility. Does anyone think this is an emergency situation that can't wait? Thanks for your help! Aloha! :angel:

lezzpezz January 25th, 2005 07:07 PM

cat's butt

I'm thinking that your cat has just "expressed" her own anal gland(s). Dogs and cats both have them. If this is the case, it is not a big rush to get to the vet, as they usually empty themselves naturally when the cat has a poop. This is likely what has happened as you say the cat seems in fine spirits otherwise. You can tell for sure it's the glands if it smelled so bad that you almost fainted :yuck: Here's a blurb on glands:

[url]http://cats.about.com/cs/healthissues/a/analglands.htm[/url]

Carina January 25th, 2005 07:09 PM

Could it have been diarrhea?
If it's really pus, that would seem to be a very serious infection that really can't wait a week. If it's diarrhea, it's something that may pass (so to speak) and there's things you can do for diarrhea...

Cats are pretty stoic & often won't show signs of physical stress until they are truly feeling miserable. Dehydration, (gently pinch skin on back, it should spring back quickly) pale gums, not eating, drinking or grooming, painful stomach, listlessness....if you see one or more of these things going on, then she really must go to a vet.

I'd make the vet appt, if you haven't already, and then just watch her carefully.

lezzpezz January 25th, 2005 07:19 PM

cat's butt

Indeed! If it is diarrhea, that is another kettle of fish. Could you determine if the "squirt" in question come from the sides of, or from the anus itself? If from the anus, you may want to collect a sample and get it to the vet if and when you decide to go. Check the cat's litter for other evidence of diarrhea. Diarrhea is a dis"stink"t possibility :rolleyes:

Bella and Cody January 25th, 2005 07:19 PM

Vet clinic said it might be a gland that ruputured

Bella has an appointment on Thursday morning. The clinic didn't seem too think it was anything major as long as we take care of it quickly. They think it is a ruptured gland. I hope that the appointment is pretty routine. I've been very lucky with the health of both of my cats and hope that it continues. Thank you for your posts and suggestions!

lezzpezz January 25th, 2005 07:31 PM

cat's anus

It is not an unusual occurence in cats or dogs, and depending on what the Dr. finds and deems necessary to do to your cat, there will be a certain degree of discomfort. Let's just say that the kitty will not be overly happy, as any messing around in this department is uncomfortable for a few days but the cat will be much happier in the end, and I really did not mean that in an insensitive way...just the words that came to me. No offense intended and good luck with the kitty!

Karin January 25th, 2005 07:33 PM

[QUOTE=Bella and Cody]Bella has an appointment on Thursday morning. The clinic didn't seem too think it was anything major as long as we take care of it quickly. They think it is a ruptured gland. I hope that the appointment is pretty routine. I've been very lucky with the health of both of my cats and hope that it continues. Thank you for your posts and suggestions![/QUOTE]

A ruptured anal gland will scar down and heal. Antibiotics will help the healing process. Beats having surgery done anytime.

"Butt juice" is gross even when coming from a healthy gland....

..so much for a good dinner topic.

Bella and Cody January 25th, 2005 07:38 PM

No offense taken...

[QUOTE=lezzerpezzer]It is not an unusual occurence in cats or dogs, and depending on what the Dr. finds and deems necessary to do to your cat, there will be a certain degree of discomfort. Let's just say that the kitty will not be overly happy, as any messing around in this department is uncomfortable for a few days but the cat will be much happier in the end, and I really did not mean that in an insensitive way...just the words that came to me. No offense intended and good luck with the kitty![/QUOTE]

No offense taken at all! I appreciate all the help and suggestions. The article was very informative. I actually wish I had seen it before I had made the appointment. I was pretty anxious until I was able to make the appointment (constant busy signals on the tele). Aloha! :)

Bella and Cody January 25th, 2005 07:41 PM

Not a pleasent experience!

[QUOTE=Karin]A ruptured anal gland will scar down and heal. Antibiotics will help the healing process. Beats having surgery done anytime.

"Butt juice" is gross even when coming from a healthy gland....

..so much for a good dinner topic.[/QUOTE]

No Kidding... LOL It was a pretty disgusting experience for both of us! :yuck: Not a pleasent topic or experience at any time of the day! Thank you for your support!

Carina January 25th, 2005 09:36 PM

OH, I forgot that cats can have anal gland problems too!
I've dealt with it in dogs... :yuck:
Good luck with Bella's butt! (sorry, couldn't resist.)

krdahmer January 26th, 2005 12:36 AM

EWWW...I was looking at a post like this a while back about a dog, and thinking "man, I'm glad cats don't get that"... :rolleyes: AH PHOOEY! :yuck: Well I guess I learned my new thing for the day. Good to know so thanks for seeking advice, now I know what to watch out for!

Good luck with Kitty's butt at the vets! :)

chico2 January 26th, 2005 09:28 AM

I have not noticed any smell on Chico,but he keeps getting a little scab on the upper part of his anus.The vet said it was nothing and just removed it,but it keeps coming back...At first I thought it was a"will-not",but it is clearly a scab that comes off easy.
He will be going for his yearly exam in early february,he had his teeth cleaned no too long ago and had a thorough exam before...vet said"nothing wrong"..
Could it be his glands??Why did she not say soo if it is.. :mad:

lezzpezz January 26th, 2005 10:13 AM

anal glands

You describe that the scab is located on the upper part of the anus. In the article sent to "Bella and Cody", the original poster, it states, " the anal sacs beneath the anus at roughly the 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock position". This appears to be a different location than where your cat's scab is, but it may still be possible that the glands are naturally emptying themselves and the discharge is sprayed "upward" leaving the evidence higher up, or, when the cat's tail is down, it smears the discharge and it gets deposited higher up? Just a possibility.

When you remove the scab, does the flesh below seem raw and sore? Or is it just a "will-not" or "cling-on" as I like to call it! of some other material? Either way, get the vet to look at it again and check the glands while he/she is at it to rule out a gland problem definitively.

Boy, we sure spend a lot of time looking at our pets' arses, eh? :rolleyes:

chico2 January 26th, 2005 01:50 PM

LP,The scab will be hanging by a "thread"and yes the skin looks a little pink under it.I will certainly point it out to the vet..Thank's!

Karin January 26th, 2005 08:04 PM

[QUOTE=chico2]LP,The scab will be hanging by a "thread"and yes the skin looks a little pink under it.I will certainly point it out to the vet..Thank's![/QUOTE]

Puss is a rude evil and should be cleaned off often if the cat does not do it first. If left on it will take the fur off & irrate the skin below. Anal glands are located inside the anus wall. Not all are located by the "clock" position, some rougue glands..(trying not to laugh here..) like Ciara, are catywaumpus..her right anal gland is at 1:00! Took me forever to find it..and she was not pleased either! Now we have it down to a science, at bath time, present butt, glove on, "butt squeeze" and done. *Note* Keep your mouth closed.

vcheng79 January 27th, 2005 05:33 AM

Same thing happened to my Sabrina, but I didn't notice it until it burst. :sad: I was so afriad because there was some blood in it and I thought she's pooping blood. I took her to the vet right away and the vet said he had to drain the pus and clean the wound or else the infection would become even worst. She seems fine ever since. The procedure is not a very long or serious one, but it does require sedation (unless the vet wants to risk his life!) The vet also said that this usually only happens in dogs but occasionally cats can have it too. Hope this helps :p

PS: Oh and the pus really really stinks!!! When Sabrina's sac burst, I thought the sewage system in my apartment burst!!!

Bella and Cody January 28th, 2005 10:29 PM

Good news for Bella and me!

:party: Took Bella to the vet yesterday and got good news! Her anal gland got plugged. The vet says this usually only happens once in a cat's lifetime. But, the episode can happen over a 2 to 3 month period. The vet said Bella expressed the plugged gland herself and that it may happen more. (YUCK) As long as the gland does not get impacted and burst (eruption through the skin) we are good and no need to bring her back. The vet checked and Bella is all expressed... LOL Bella wasn't too happy with all the attention her butt was getting. Needless to say I was very happy. I hope Cody never goes through the same smelly mess. Thanks again everyone for your thoughts, help and suggestions! Aloha, Jan ;)

Katherine1 January 28th, 2005 10:41 PM

So happy to hear Bella is ok. :grouphug:

lezzpezz January 30th, 2005 12:03 PM

Cat's butt

Good to hear it was nothing too serious and is "fixable"! Glad the cat is on the mend.

Karin January 30th, 2005 06:34 PM

Happy to hear Bella's butt is okie dokey!