Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Senior cats (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Sneezing cat (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=87080)

woofendog April 3rd, 2016 11:18 PM

Sneezing cat

1 Attachment(s)
17 year old Buster has suddenly started sneezing on a regular basis. Occasionally accompanied by short coughing spell. Clear mucus visible from nostrils. Indoor cat. Has always been healthy since he recovered from broken leg in 1999. Any ideas?

marko April 4th, 2016 09:15 AM

Clear mucous isn't as bad as green - It could be the start of an infection of some kind, could be maybe a foreign body in the nose.

[QUOTE]Buster has suddenly started sneezing on a regular basis.[/QUOTE]
Please be more precise. Are we talking days? weeks? months?

BTW - I made the pic smaller for you.

Barkingdog April 4th, 2016 02:22 PM

The cat is coughing too so the OP should keep an eye on him and made sure this doesn't get worst . I hope he didn't pick a cold up at the vet .

Lynne&Co. April 4th, 2016 11:21 PM

Buster sure is cute:lovestruck:

Any new cleaning products, plants, etc. in your home? Have you changed your usual brand of litter recently? There could be any number of household products that can be irritating your kitty.

woofendog April 5th, 2016 09:35 PM

Clear discharge from the nose for past two weeks. Sneezing and coughing is something new for Buster. Never did that before. No plants and same kitty litter. Other three cats 12,17,19 not affected. Has not been to the vet lately but am considering taking him any day now if sneezing continues. Eating well. Thanks for the suggestions and making the 1999 photo smaller.

marko April 6th, 2016 04:52 AM

If it's been 2 weeks.....and it's not getting better...and kitty hasn't seen the vet in a while - vet time.

(As a last check did kitty get any new toys - or anything new in its life - if yes try removing it to see if it can help - if not, vet time I think)
Good luck! :goodvibes:

woofendog April 9th, 2016 06:53 AM

Sneezing cat

Buster was treated at the vet. As an older cat
(17 years) there was some concern that his immune system was not able to fight off a virus. So he was given an anti-biotic (pills) as well as medication to boost his immune system. It was also recommended to give the immune system medication(ENISYL-F) paste to his 17 year old sister and 19 year old brother who are in contact with him. Hopefully this will clear up the sneezing and coughing.

woofendog October 8th, 2016 09:00 AM

Sneezing cat

Buster still sneezing on a regular basis. Vet treatment (antibiotics) not working. Someone else may have had this same problem with older cat. Any advice would be appreciated. Are there any vets who have successfully treated this problem? Don't mind spending the money at vet if a solution can be found. Thanks.

hazelrunpack October 8th, 2016 02:46 PM

Have you tried L-lysine? Works for some cats with URI symptoms...maybe Buster will be one of the lucky ones :fingerscr :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack October 8th, 2016 02:48 PM

Oh, sorry, never mind--I just finally got a response from my search request that tells me ENISYL-F is L-lysine based. *sigh* Slow connection...takes 3 minutes for a search...