Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Rescue (Adopt) - Transportation (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   buying from U.S. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14633)

seekadog April 30th, 2005 07:58 AM

buying from U.S.

If I buy a dog from the United States, what will I have to do to get the pup back into Canada. Is it easier to drive over and pickup the dog or have the pup delivered to me?

MegShawnMom April 30th, 2005 08:50 AM

By law, all you need is proof of rabies shots.Make sure you decalare it at the border crossing.Should be no problem.
Where is the pup coming from, it might e easier to go and pick up?
If its a distance to fly would cost more ,be stressfull and require a regulation size crate,lots of added on fees .You wold be required to go to Canadian Customs or CFIA for inspection and release.

K9Caretaker August 3rd, 2007 09:08 AM

[QUOTE=seekadog;124033]If I buy a dog from the United States, what will I have to do to get the pup back into Canada. Is it easier to drive over and pickup the dog or have the pup delivered to me?[/QUOTE]

If I where you I would pick it up I am going to Tennesse this coming September and I will pick up my dog. The last one I had the breeder
ship her to me and he flew her and after that all her life she was scared
of loud noise such as motorcyle, snowmobile, air brakes on truck dumping
she would just cower so this time I will pick her up and another thing when
you go through customs be honest with the US agent but here since it's so
Mickey Mouse you can bs them saying that you got the dog for breeding
purposes or rescue or anything you want because guess what you will
pay GST on your dog believe it or not. The last time when I picked up
my dog I went to the airport to pick her up and the custom agent said
"dog returning home" so I didn't say a word and I just signed and took
my dog otherwise I would have paid GST on my dog Taxes on a dog
jeeeeeeeez. Just make sure like the other one said you need the
vet's paper for their shots and as far as I am concerned the bill will disappeared.
thanks

Frenchy August 3rd, 2007 11:08 AM

This thread is from 2005.

shirley1011 August 4th, 2007 06:39 PM

We got our Norwegian Elkhound, Shasta from Tennessee. We declared her at the border..showed them the bill of sale...and they thought she should have cost more...they kept us there for over an hour...checking out dog sites...then I told them to go to [url]www.puppyfind.com[/url] and there she was...we didn't have to pay GST because we were gone for over a week. Now after 48 hours you get $400.00 per person exemption.

mummummum August 4th, 2007 07:00 PM

[QUOTE=Frenchy;459261]This thread is from 2005.[/QUOTE]

Just a reminder...

vokaho August 4th, 2013 06:41 PM

Can i ask you guys how much tax i have to pay if i want to buy a english bulldog from new york? I am going to pick him up and drive him back to toronto.

hazelrunpack August 4th, 2013 06:48 PM

Have you talked to customs? They'd know all the current rules/regulations...

Dee-O-Gee August 4th, 2013 09:15 PM

Canada Customs is pretty good with expediting domestic pets. As long as you have their vaccination papers in order, the worst would be having to pay the 13% HST tax. There's no duty on domestic pets.

Just make sure the vaccination papers are in order and the pup is in good health upon CBSA inspection.

Please be sure to stop back on Pets.ca and post pictures of your English Bulldog. We always welcome pictures. :thumbs up