Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Painted Turtle Laying Eggs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=87669)

Reg July 10th, 2017 12:31 AM

There was an interesting article on the radio news tonight regarding a state of emergency over injured turtles in Ontario. I found the article on the web site and I feel it's well worth the read, for anyone travelling on the highways and biways. :goodvibes:

[url]http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/turtle-state-of-emergency-1.4190813[/url]

Some of the highlighted headings in the article are well worth investigation. The last one indicates where the turtle rehabilitation main centre is. It's called the turtle Trauma Centre. :highfive:

hazelrunpack July 10th, 2017 12:16 PM

We've been seeing lots of them on the road here in WI, too. In fact, we just moved a beautiful painted turtle off a gravel road yesterday. They do seem to love the rain.

Barkingdog July 10th, 2017 02:53 PM

My daughter saw a turtle on the road once so she stopped her car and got out and move the turtle next the swamp that it was heading to. She know I am crazy about turtles . I couldn't read the story b/c it too upsetting to me. :(

Lynne&Co. October 4th, 2017 04:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
June 16 @ 9am I watched this snapping turtle lay her eggs.
I was so disappointed when I saw that they had hatched sometime during the night on September 29th.
There seems to be different hatch days though as I saw this little baby on the driveway this morning. Keeping this one for the day while I keep an eye out for any more. Will then take them to the lake to give them a better chance at surviving any predators during their long walk back to the lake.

Such an exciting day 🐢

Lynne&Co. October 4th, 2017 05:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Couple more picks of Snapper Hatchling

Barkingdog October 4th, 2017 07:44 PM

:lovestruck: I just love turtles !

hazelrunpack October 5th, 2017 10:51 AM

Oh, that's awesome, Lynne! I hope you find more!

So what does the nest site look like after the eggs hatch? Does it look like it exploded or are they neater diggers than that? :D

Reg October 5th, 2017 10:58 PM

Hi there Lynne:

Glad to see the photos of the cute little snapper. :D We were wondering just last week if anything was going on - we hadn't heard from you for quite a spell.

Has there been any further hatchlings? Did you have any success with the painted turtles? :)

Years ago when we were travelling the roads through that area, in a Spring rain especially in the evening, the little green frogs would come out onto the highway in droves, making it slippery to drive on. Is that still happening?

Lynne&Co. October 6th, 2017 10:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;1077460]Oh, that's awesome, Lynne! I hope you find more!

So what does the nest site look like after the eggs hatch? Does it look like it exploded or are they neater diggers than that? :D[/QUOTE]

I keep looking for more but haven't seen any further hatchlings. I'm surprised they don't all hatch at once. Learning lots living out here :goodvibes:

The nest site is surprisingly neat and tidy :D

Lynne&Co. October 6th, 2017 10:37 PM

[QUOTE=Reg;1077469]Hi there Lynne:

Glad to see the photos of the cute little snapper. :D We were wondering just last week if anything was going on - we hadn't heard from you for quite a spell.

Has there been any further hatchlings? Did you have any success with the painted turtles? :)

Years ago when we were travelling the roads through that area, in a Spring rain especially in the evening, the little green frogs would come out onto the highway in droves, making it slippery to drive on. Is that still happening?[/QUOTE]

I'm so glad to have seen one too Reg!
In my mind I imagined I would see all these hatchlings making their way to the lake 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢!
Not the case though as they seem to be mostly hatching in the night. Every morning I see what looks like chipmunk holes but I think it's hatching holes from the turtles. The yard is full of holes and with all this activity I've only seen the one wee guy :shrug: I'm so thrilled though :cloud9:

Yes to your question about the frogs. Sadly the frogs don't usually survive on the roads :cry: Not sure why they are attracted to the highways?

hazelrunpack October 7th, 2017 08:51 AM

Now you've got me wondering if some of the holes we're finding in the yard aren't from baby turtles! We're just north of a 20 acre wooded wetland, so I suppose it could be possible. I'd rather have turtles than the rodents I suspect are the culprits, so I think I'll start imagining them to be hatching holes. :D

Lynne&Co. October 7th, 2017 11:46 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;1077472]Now you've got me wondering if some of the holes we're finding in the yard aren't from baby turtles! We're just north of a 20 acre wooded wetland, so I suppose it could be possible. I'd rather have turtles than the rodents I suspect are the culprits, so I think I'll start imagining them to be hatching holes. :D[/QUOTE]

Absolutely! You could be right as some of these turtles seem to travel quite a distance to nest. My neighbour across the road from me told me of the turtles nesting in their yard (approximately 850 feet from the lake). Poor hatchlings have a dangerous and long journey to the water 😱

Lynne&Co. October 8th, 2017 09:08 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Last pics of the hatchling.