Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Crafts (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Ideas for Decorating a Cane? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=65969)

TwinTails October 2nd, 2009 02:20 PM

Ideas for Decorating a Cane?

1 Attachment(s)
Yesterday I finally got myself a cane, making it much easier to walk, yay! :laughing: However, it's boooooring! Just a plane jane cane (hehe), and I would like to spruce it up. Mine is very similar to the pic (but mine is dark wood). Any ideas? :D

BenMax October 2nd, 2009 02:21 PM

I would be painting a snake coiled around it. Head at the handle.

TwinTails October 2nd, 2009 02:22 PM

Oh that is awesome, I've been wanting to get back into my drawing again :D

rainbow October 2nd, 2009 02:47 PM

My sis-in-law did a couple for her aunt ......painted one with ivy with ivy running up it and another with pretty flowers.

rainbow October 2nd, 2009 02:49 PM

If you google decorative canes you may get some ideas too.

breeze October 2nd, 2009 02:51 PM

you can also get some transfer decals at a craft store ( ones that you rub on with a pencil) then just put a protective coating on it. ( they sell that at a craft store also.

TwinTails October 2nd, 2009 03:12 PM

All wonderful ideas, thanks! I will go see what kind of decals are at the stores :D I'd love an animal-theme :D

lUvMyLaB<3 October 2nd, 2009 03:54 PM

Could you not print out photos of all your animals and then like.. decoupage ( is that the technique I am thinking of????) stick the on however you like glue under and over it, and then cover with a clear coat of something protective?? that would look sooo awesome! and it would be a story to tell too!

TwinTails October 2nd, 2009 03:57 PM

:lightbulb: :lightbulb: :lightbulb: That is brilliant! I think I will do that :D Thanks!! :thumbs up

lUvMyLaB<3 October 2nd, 2009 04:42 PM

I think that would be sooooo aweseome!!! just cover it all over with special photos!! what I am thinking is that you would cut out each animal around their outline in that photo, cover the entire cane in glue, stick them all on how you want, I am thinking cover every inch, there is a craft glue that you use and glue on top too, then coat it with a protective clear coat, I really think that would be really neat!

pattymac October 2nd, 2009 05:27 PM

decoupage would be nice, just make sure you seal it otherwise when it gets damp it will get very sticky! Personally since I'm into beading, I'd probably bead over a good portion of it...but then that would take a loooonnng time..go with the decoupage!!

TwinTails October 2nd, 2009 08:18 PM

Oh I looooooooove beading :D I was thinking about adding some crystals and gems near the handle, decoupage the rest. Not sure yet, I will have to draw out some ideas first :D

rainbow October 3rd, 2009 01:22 AM

That sounds like a great idea :thumbs up .....looking forward to pics of the finished project. :goodvibes:

Dog Dancer October 6th, 2009 12:15 PM

Decoupage sounds like a great idea, I'd worry that the beads would get knocked off if they were near the handle. Good luck with the project, and yes we want to see the final product.

TwinTails October 6th, 2009 01:07 PM

Yeah Gary and I were talking, he thinks decoupage would be awesome, but thinks the beads are too girly for me, lol. And I'd worry about them breaking. Plus I haven't done any weaving with beads in more than 20 years, so I will go with the decoupage ;)

ancientgirl October 8th, 2009 06:53 PM

How about gluing some bling on it? They have lots of embellishments for scrapbooking, many sparkly stuff too. you might be able to put a few rhinestones on there.

Of course, you'll have to post a photo of the finish product.

TwinTails October 8th, 2009 08:11 PM

Oooooh, that is a great idea! I think that would work better too, less chance of it breaking. Plus, I love anything shiny (as hubby says, way something sparkly in front of me and you'll have my undevided attention! :laughing:).

aslan October 8th, 2009 08:21 PM

what about woodburning it..you could decoupage your critters amongst vines or something going up the cane.on and you have to get a silver/chrome cap for the end.

TwinTails October 8th, 2009 08:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That would be cool :) This is what the cane looks like now, it's a dark color (striped, red and black). I'm not sure if wood burning would show up?

PS Please ignore my hideously dirty floor, cat pan, fur coated chairs, etc...that area is the cats' domain, lol!

pbpatti October 9th, 2009 11:01 AM

the decopage sounds like a great idea, this way you would have your pets with you wherever you go. I cannot wait to see the finished project. have fun with this. pbp