Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Senior dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Has anyone tried chiropractic treatment on their dog? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=83521)

bmckay February 25th, 2013 04:18 PM

Has anyone tried chiropractic treatment on their dog?

I have an active 8 year old ****zu-poodle cross that started limping 3 months ago. She could have easily injured it as she is a jumper/leaper/run as fast as she can kinda dog. I've had x-rays and was told she would heal up but she is not and it is starting to affect her happiness. I am considering going to a pet chiropractor and wonder if anyone has tried this?

MaxaLisa March 10th, 2013 06:48 PM

Yes, yes, yes...I have used regular chiropractic care for my dogs since 2001. I believe that it's one reaon I've not had terrible joint problems in my dogs as they've aged (have alo used joint supplements).

When I adopted my pup, that was one of the first things I did, was take her to the chiro, who found all sort of the thing misaligned, but after a few visits, she is maintaining adjutments. She had a couple pelvic surgeries after that, so I will continue with tune-ups to help avoid problems down the road.

Barkingdog March 10th, 2013 07:30 PM

I had Standard Poodle that loved to jump a lot and had a limb which I thought
was landing the wrong. He was dues for check up and I found out he had Lyme disease which can made a dog limb. Has your been checked for this recently?

Goldfields March 11th, 2013 01:47 AM

bmckay, yes, I've had both shelties and cattle dogs treated, usually with excellent results (one total disaster), BUT you need to find the best chiropractor you can.

Longblades March 11th, 2013 07:46 AM

Yes and I was not happy at all, it did nothing as far as I could tell. But I would recommend it as a try anyway. Different things work for different dogs. My OH swears by his treatments. He's sort of an old dog. :)

MaxaLisa March 11th, 2013 10:30 AM

The practitioner does make a big difference. I have three different ones that I can choose in this area, and they all give slightly different results, with one someone that I prefer not going to, only because he misses things that the others address.

sweetheart1 December 16th, 2013 06:59 PM

chricopathicny treatment /bmckay

hi- merry xmas. I think I tried to send u a short note before but did not go thru Yes, im thinking of going to one for my 15/ yr dog. he has IVDD. its terrible he enjoyed his walks bu t now no longer can he do a half a block. he is on rimdaly 1x a day for pain. no surgery at this age.

I know I will not have him for 2014 so every moment is precious. he still eats his food good and drinks his water daily. gives me a solid stool and urinates daily. broken sleep occassionaly roams the house and stares at the wall. this is not uncommon. I have a mild tranquilzer when this happens I pick him up gently and put him in his bed. so, I hope I get told honestly about his condition chrio treatments are expensive and I want to see results ,so many vet drs see u as a ATM machine and a lot of them have got caught up in a material world. the oath that vets take when finished with school is DO NO HARM, so I hope I get one that is honest. bye,if anyone would like to reply I be interested to know if u feel the same like me. I guess u can reach me at pets.ca-:dog - sweetheart1 or on dogster.com as a guest under senior dogs blog.bye.

MaxaLisa December 17th, 2013 04:37 AM

It will depend on why you dog is not getting along well. If things are too advanced, it may not help. But I have seen nothing but positive results, and you will now withing 1-3 adjustments. You might also try acupunture, and be sure you have your boy on good joint supplements.