Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A gross question requiring a gross answer…. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=72920)

Dee-O-Gee October 5th, 2010 01:01 PM

A gross question requiring a gross answer….

I normally do not come onto Pets during week days due to work routines however; I am desperately seeking advice or answers from anyone on my dilemma.

Yesterday, Mollie ate 300 dollars in cash. I taped the pieces I could find together last evening and took it to my bank this morning.

The bank exchanged 60.00 (3 twenties) but 220.00 is questionable. They’re going to send the remnants to the Bank of Canada in a couple of days to determine the face value but in the meantime, they have suggested I try to find the portions which contain the missing serial numbers and signatures.

My question (and this is probably going to sound unpleasant) but how long does it take for a dog to digest/eradicate foreign objects?

mikischo October 5th, 2010 01:28 PM

Ah, I must say that Mollie does have expensive taste.:cloud9::laughing::laughing:

I did find this website which gives you instructions on how to recover money your dog ate:

[url]http://www.ehow.com/how_5861904_recover-money-dog-eaten.html[/url]

Sounds like it could take days to get it all.

Good luck, and NO pictures, please.:)

Rgeurts October 5th, 2010 01:28 PM

It took Nanook about 3 weeks to pass 3 socks and a rope chew toy =\
He passed 3 socks last week. We noticed about a month ago that he was trying to eat them, so we have since made sure he doesn't have access to them. We noticed he had chewed the tassels off his rope toy so we threw it away, but Sunday night he passes an ENTIRE rope chew toy, about 8-10 inches long. We have no idea how long it was in there, or where he got it (maybe daycare :shrug:) but we're sure for awhile because since passing everything, he has not had bad bloat, and he was bloated for a good month. DH calls him a little vending machine... just pull his tail and see what pops out! I'm really hoping it's all out now. He had x-rays and an ultrasound, none of which showed it :shrug:

I hope you can "piece" this puzzle together!! :D

aslan October 5th, 2010 01:30 PM

being paper she should pass it all through within 24hrs,,but also being paper she may actually digest some of it,,,ummmm if you go to a dollar store and buy a seive,,put the poop it the seive and run water over it,,poop goes through money peices don't.

Rgeurts October 5th, 2010 01:32 PM

[QUOTE=aslan;956951]being paper she should pass it all through within 24hrs,,but also being paper she may actually digest some of it,,,ummmm if you go to a dollar store and buy a seive,,put the poop it the seive and run water over it,,poop goes through money peices don't.[/QUOTE]

Great idea aslan!! :thumbs up

marko October 5th, 2010 01:33 PM

Hmmm sorry for this dilemma that sucks now but will provide you with funny stories for years.

If I had to bet, depending on how badly the money is chewed up some of it may be destroyed by stomach acids if the pices are small enough. If the pieces are larger they probably will pass within 12-24 hours....that's my guess.

The looking through the mess will be the fun part. I'd go to the dollar store and get a sieve, gloves and maybe a mask...but before that I'd go to the liquor store. Not a task I'd ever attempt sober.

Good luck.

aslan October 5th, 2010 01:42 PM

[QUOTE=marko;956953] Not a task I'd ever attempt sober.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

you big wimp...:D

marko October 5th, 2010 02:00 PM

I'll live with that but if i ever hear of anyone that has a leaky septic tank, a blocked toilet or a constipated dog I'll send them to you. :D

aslan October 5th, 2010 02:03 PM

[QUOTE=marko;956968]I'll live with that but if i ever hear of anyone that has a leaky septic tank, a blocked toilet or a constipated dog I'll send them to you. :D[/QUOTE]

wouldn't be the first time i've dealt with all of the above,,,and my pupper ate my diamond ring..hopefully you get most of your money back klm..:fingerscr:yuck:

2sheltiesmom October 5th, 2010 02:45 PM

IMO you should contact your vet. It may be stuck inside and could cause serious difficulty for your dog.

Jumajum October 5th, 2010 03:12 PM

It being paper, might or might not make it through the system intact but it will get through the system.

On that note, I had to pull a few inches of DH's t-shirt out of LouLou during our lunchtime walk. I couldn't figure out what was taking her so long to finish pooping and she couldn't figure it out either:eek: and the poor thing kept trying poop out this long rope of poo covered cotton. I finally got her to stay still for me to pull out the last remaining inches.

Of course, I can't find the t-shirt that she had ripped up and dined on.

BenMax October 5th, 2010 03:26 PM

BIL's dog swallowed $500.00 and money clip. All came out within 24 hours intact. He hosed down the money and went to the bank to exchange. Made the comment that the money went through the 'ringer' and needed new money.

Good luck and hope you get the money back and the dog is ok.

Dog Dancer October 5th, 2010 03:31 PM

Hmmm, I think this thread has been answered now, but I think it's time for me to go have a drink. I'm with Marko! So how do the bank tellers feel about you bringing them the money you find???

Love4himies October 5th, 2010 04:59 PM

Money is made out of cotton paper so it is pretty durable. If he didn't chew too much, you may be OK. :pray:

Sylvie October 5th, 2010 05:43 PM

O.K. KLM is this your money or perhaps some unsuspecting visitor :laughing::laughing:

cpietra16 October 5th, 2010 06:08 PM

...and this is exactly why I tell my kids to wash their hands after they handled money...:laughing:

Dee-O-Gee October 5th, 2010 06:31 PM

[QUOTE=mikischo;956949]I did find this website which gives you instructions on how to recover money your dog ate:

[url]http://www.ehow.com/how_5861904_recover-money-dog-eaten.html[/url]

Good luck, and NO pictures, please.:)[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Red"][I]THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE WEB LINK Mikischo and I promise no after pictures. :thumbs up[/I][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=aslan;956951]being paper she should pass it all through within 24hrs,,but also being paper she may actually digest some of it,,,ummmm if you go to a dollar store and buy a seive,,put the poop it the seive and run water over it,,poop goes through money peices don't.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="red"][I]Did just that Aslan. Stopped at the dollar store, bought a seive and a 20 pairs of disposable gloves.[/I][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=marko;956953]The looking through the mess will be the fun part. I'd go to the dollar store and get a sieve, gloves and maybe a mask...but before that I'd go to the liquor store. Not a task I'd ever attempt sober.

[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="red"][I]Beer store was my second stop. :D[/I][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Sylvie;957009]O.K. KLM is this your money or perhaps some unsuspecting visitor :laughing::laughing:[/QUOTE]

It was ours. :(

Dee-O-Gee October 5th, 2010 06:42 PM

Update

1 Attachment(s)
A lot of the money was found laying in Mollie's cage and my daughter gathered up what she could and put it in a baggie. These were the pieces I taped last night (prior to poop mikischo) and took to the bank this morning. There was 300.00 but I was only able to piece together 280.00 & a 20 was missing.

[ATTACH]69615[/ATTACH]

With everyones solid advice, I did my first gold dig with the seive and disposable gloves. I already had Gryphon's in 1 bag and Mollie's in another.

So far, none from Gryphon but, Mollie's well.....:evil: I found a large piece of a 100.00 bill serial number and the Queen's face from that missing 20. :evil:

Just taking a beer break right now and back out with the flashlight. I sure hope this never happens to anyone. It was so upsetting to see 300.00 disappear but we're keeping up hope that the Bank of Canada will accept the mutilated remains. :pray:

Dee-O-Gee October 5th, 2010 09:57 PM

Found some more remnants of the missing twenty and I THINK the signature from the 100.00. :shrug:

Cleaned all the pieces off in hot water then used needle nose pliers to place onto paper towels for drying. I should probably bring them to the bank in a plastic baggie marked [I]contaminated[/I]?

I'm sorry but I'm trying to make light of this terrible situation and we can only hope for the best by thinking positive. :fingerscr:fingerscr

I guess at this point, I can chalk this entire experience up to S:censored:it happens? :shrug:

JennieV October 5th, 2010 10:10 PM

[QUOTE=klmccallum;957022]
So far, none from Gryphon but, Mollie's well.....:evil: I found a large piece of a 100.00 bill serial number and the Queen's face from that missing 20. :evil:
[/QUOTE]

That's one place the Queen never thought her face would be found in... :laughing::laughing:

aslan October 6th, 2010 05:19 AM

klm,,if you get the money back and intact and all taped together nicely,,i personally would poor that hand sanitizer all over it,,let it dry,,,zip over to the bank and deposit it through the bank machine. The banks issue is ummm the process the money has been through so what they don't know..:evil: the money would just be returned to the mint for replacement. I'm sure we've all gotten money in our change before that has been taped together. They just don't need to know the circumstances for its disrepair. For all they know a toddler got a hold of it.:rolleyes:

ownedbycats October 6th, 2010 12:32 PM

I can't help with recovering the money, but I'm dying of curiosity. How did she get ahold of the money in the first place? Given our dog's love of shredding any and all paper products I can easily see a fallen bill being grabbed and shredded, but how did she get more than one bill?
:fingerscr Hope you find enough pieces that the bank will replace the money.:fingerscr

Shaykeija October 6th, 2010 06:56 PM

Ok someone has to say it..Pretty Crappy exchange rate... lol I went throught the same thing with HRH Missie the poo. I just sent it to the mint and they replaced it.

Dee-O-Gee October 6th, 2010 09:02 PM

[QUOTE=JennieV;957066]That's one place the Queen never thought her face would be found in... :laughing::laughing:[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Red"][I]OMG---That's too funny Jennie! :laugh::laugh:[/I][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=aslan;957081]klm,,if you get the money back and intact and all taped together nicely,,i personally would poor that hand sanitizer all over it,,let it dry,,,zip over to the bank and deposit it through the bank machine. The banks issue is ummm the process the money has been through so what they don't know..:evil: the money would just be returned to the mint for replacement. I'm sure we've all gotten money in our change before that has been taped together. They just don't need to know the circumstances for its disrepair. For all they know a toddler got a hold of it.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="red"][I]The bank already has the torn/taped notes and will be dropping by tomorrow with more pieces I found. They're in a little baggie labelled, Contaminated; Canine Feces. :frustrated:[/I][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=ownedbycats;957161]I can't help with recovering the money, but I'm dying of curiosity. How did she get ahold of the money in the first place? [/QUOTE]

[COLOR="red"][I]The money was inside an envelope on the dining room table. I found the envelope today while treasure hunting. :yuck:[/I][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Shaykeija;957209]Ok someone has to say it..Pretty Crappy exchange rate... lol [/QUOTE]

[COLOR="red"][I]Crappy is right Shaykeija! [/I][/COLOR]

Found more pieces tonight with serial numbers! :clap: The score is;
Gryphon 0, Mollie 5 :evil:

I'm hoping that the bank will look at the missing serial numbers in the baggie and just replace the 220.00. They already exchanged 60 of it the other day. I just don't want to wait for some forensics to be performed and out of the cash for weeks. :shrug:

driver8 October 7th, 2010 07:29 AM

I cannot believe there was actually a website for this....

Good luck getting your money back from the bank!!

kathryn October 7th, 2010 08:22 AM

Wow, in Canada you can exchange money? :confused: I know that if this happened to me in the states I wouldn't have even bothered because there is no way in hell any banks around here would EVER help me out. :eek:

Good luck with your treasure hunt!

mastifflover October 7th, 2010 08:50 AM

So how are things coming out?

Dee-O-Gee October 12th, 2010 09:46 PM

Things came out just fine mastifflover. :D

Dropped the contaminated pieces to the bank Thursday and they're off to the Bank of Canada. The Teller & I compared the poopy pieces with the taped pieces and she felt confident that the Bank of Canada will honour the exchange. :thumbs up

Hopefully will know soon cause that three hundred bucks could sure come in handy right about now.

hazelrunpack October 12th, 2010 09:50 PM

LOL Glad everything seems to have come out okay in the end :p