Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Am I ruining my dogs health and quality of life ? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=86864)

Jaylee123 December 31st, 2015 11:04 AM

Am I ruining my dogs health and quality of life ?

Hi everyone !

I've been really sick past few years with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue and have severe insomnia! I'm worried my 10 year old husky isn't getting enough exercise because I can only walk her 20 minutes a day and sometimes I can't even do that. I also tend to stay up most of the night and sleep very little , when I'm finally asleep my mom is awake and making noise so I don't think my dog is getting nearly enough sleep. I see her wake up every time I make a noise by accident and I feel extremely guilty because I love her a lot and want her to be as happy and healthy as possible. I'm worried she's not going to live as long because of me and I haven't been a good enough owner . The guilt literally eats away at me every day ! I give her lots of belly rubs and spend most of the day with her but nothing beats a long run and a good sleep for a dog!
So that begs the question, and I'm ruining her life ? ): </3

Barkingdog December 31st, 2015 03:46 PM

Can you afford to hire a dog walker twice a week to walk your longer?
My dog can sleep through a lot of things , I have my TV on loud and dog will not wake up . On the other hand as soon as I start to cook a meal and my dog is sleeping in my bedroom he will come running into the kitchen . Does your dog like to play ball , you could do this and it will get some exercise that way.

marko January 1st, 2016 09:53 AM

You are NOT ruining her life and with respect, I disagree with your premise.

The love you show your dog...THAT is the most important part.

Sure nearly all dogs could use a bit more exercise, but in terms of THEIR happiness, Love wins out everytime in my opinion. The stability of the family - THAT is number one for the dog.

Also keep in mind, dogs don't think about their longevity...that is a curse reserved only for humans...and your husky is 10 - it needs exercise, but way less than a few years ago.

Keep on doing whatever you can :goodvibes:

Barking dog has good advice if it works in your situation.

Good luck!

Loki Love January 1st, 2016 02:50 PM

You could do some different types of training indoors - mental stimulation is often much more tiring than physical exercise! Teach some new tricks, etc :) That's not to say that walks aren't important - but they aren't the be all and end all for every dog. A dog walk is a good idea - even fetch in the backyard (if possible?)

I'm quite certain your puppers loves you and everything you do manage to do :)

Geezer March 15th, 2016 02:48 PM

I have always been in favour of doggy "Play Dates". If your Husky is good with other dogs and your neighbours are understanding people, it is a no-brainer IMHO. Have them drop by with their dogs from time to time and share a coffee while the dogs are out playing and burning off calories.