Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Senior dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Dogs in Cold Weather (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=83219)

067734m January 9th, 2013 10:45 AM

Dogs in Cold Weather

My husband and I adopted 2 dogs while living in the Southern US: a 7-8yr old beagle/hound mix with a thin coat, and a 3yr old lab mix with a 'regular' lab coat (and 'regular' lab coat shedding!). It's very hot in the southern US, and temps usually didn't go too far below 0C in the winter.

As Canadians :ca: , we're used to cold temps, and used to dogs who've grown up in cold temps. This year in Ontario, we've had some pretty cold days (windchill below -20C).

I'm worried about the beaglexhound. I have a coat for her, but when it's that cold out, she doesn't even want to go outside, we practically have to drag her out. She sleeps almost all day (and all night) and has woken up limping at times. When running through deep snow, or even on the side walk near the end of the walk, she seems frantic and has stopped and held up a paw (and looks so uncomfortable, as if to say, "what is going on!?").

I know salt can be an issue, and I've been watching their paws. The lab seems unaffected. (He's a pretty happy-go-lucky fellow). The neuroses of the hound only seem to compound when it's really cold and she seems depressed. Am I doing something wrong/not doing enough for her? Since it's warmed up a bit, she's been a lot more normal, but I'm sure we'll have a few more cold snaps this winter (and the next)...

Any tips/advice on weathering cold temps with dogs are appreciated.

Winston January 9th, 2013 11:00 AM

There is a great product on the market called "MuttLucks" which are like a boot for the dog. This may help.

The other thing that may be bothering the dog is the salt that we use here in Canada on the roads. Maybe the pup has some dry cracks on the pads of his feet that get salt in them?? There are some good mositerizers for dogs paws on the market as well.

Good Luck!

Here is the link for Muttluks

[url]http://www.muttluks.com/home.php[/url]

HuntleysMom January 12th, 2013 10:23 AM

We are in Canada as well and I've started using dog boots for my Pug-Beagle mix, our walks were being cut short by his shivering and lifting his paws off the ground so I decided to give the booties a try. He wasn't impressed at first and walked like Bambi on the ice but he eventually got used to them and now we can go for much longer walks in the winter.

067734m January 18th, 2013 07:49 AM

Hey all,

Thanks for the info on Muttluks.

Do your dogs have any trouble keeping them on? We go for a lot of off-leash hikes in the woods, usually on paths, but often in deep snow. I'm afraid I'd loose the boots as soon as I put them on.

We're heading into a cold snap here, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to try...

Loki Love January 18th, 2013 08:50 AM

We've never had a problem with the boots staying on Loki (even when he goes bounding off the trail and into the deep snow!) As long as you wrap the velcro tight, you should be good :)

Good luck!

067734m January 21st, 2013 03:14 PM

I purchased some boots! Hot Paws were the only ones I found at our store in the right size (I brought my dog in; tried them on; asked the clerk).

I tried them out on our morning walk and my poor girl HATES them! She stopped a few times and tried to rip them off with her teeth. (Not pleasant when I have another dog in the other hand raring to go and it's -28C with windchill out)! She aslo had trouble with slipping - I think she's used to using her claws and the boots made it extra slippy for her.

I thought she'd be walking funny, but she really doesn't like them, is that normal? (She's a short-haired, sensitive :cry: hound with long, skinny legs). Will she acclimatize? I'm wondering how long I (and she) should tough this out before giving up?

(On the other hand --- she never looked in pain 'cause of the cold, or stopped to lift/lick her paws)

Mirela January 21st, 2013 06:45 PM

Yes, it's quite normal for her to dislike the boots and fight to take them off because they're quite, quite foreign. Pretty much she'll have to re-learn how to walk; that's why she's walking funny right now.
However, you need to persevere and bribe, bribe, bribe - she'll "get it" eventually. But be patient, it will take a few days.

growler~GateKeeper January 22nd, 2013 12:39 AM

I had a pair of boots for my late Dalmatian cross & the first few minutes each time they were put on he would walk funny & try to pull at them. I found that as soon as I put them on if I got him into a quick jog that would by-pass the adjustment time right away cuz he's thinking go-go-go not about the funny feeling things on his feet :pawprint: