Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog training - dog behavior (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Has anyone tried a dog whistle for barking? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=78239)

levismom August 13th, 2011 03:37 PM

Has anyone tried a dog whistle for barking?

Hello everyone,
I am so excited to have found this site to be able to communicate with other pet owners. :grouphug:
I am really hoping to have some of your opinions on my Cairn Terriers (Levi) barking. He barks and barks as soon as he leaves the door way and goes steady. I was wondering if anyone has tried the dog whistle for this?
Any ideas on controlling his barking?

We have only had him for about 3 months and he was very abused before we got him. Which brings me to another items I could use some insight on. When we bath him and then try to brush him he quivers and then pees because he is so afraid of the brush. We can only think that the brush is one of the items he was beat with. Now we have fostered alot of dogs with other issues but nothing like this. I love him so much and it breaks my heart but I need to be able to brush him at some point. We have tried to just put the brush on the ground for a few hours to let him investigate it and well, massaging him is not even an option. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance and I am very much looking forward to your responses and insights.

Kathy

growler~GateKeeper August 13th, 2011 10:31 PM

Have you tried just one type of brush? or different varieties, what about a human comb?

I've moved the thread to the training forum so those with training experience will see this quicker. Good Luck :goodvibes:

tenderfoot August 13th, 2011 10:50 PM

Don't bathe just yet. Use a damp washcloth to clean him and rub him down. Be playful and loving and do it in short sessions. One caveat - don't stop unless he is calm. If you stop when he is nervous then that is what he remembers - being nervous. But if you keep going until he at least calms down then end on that positive note and try again tomorrow.
Then wrap the brush in the damp cloth and begin to desensitize him to the stroking action of a brush. Eventually (but quickly enough) stop using the cloth and just gently brush him. Use a softer, boars hair type brush to start.

I am not clear on the 'whistle for barking'. Why not just use your voice?

levismom August 14th, 2011 06:40 AM

[QUOTE=tenderfoot;1020677]Don't bathe just yet. Use a damp washcloth to clean him and rub him down. Be playful and loving and do it in short sessions. One caveat - don't stop unless he is calm. If you stop when he is nervous then that is what he remembers - being nervous. But if you keep going until he at least calms down then end on that positive note and try again tomorrow.
Then wrap the brush in the damp cloth and begin to desensitize him to the stroking action of a brush. Eventually (but quickly enough) stop using the cloth and just gently brush him. Use a softer, boars hair type brush to start.

I am not clear on the 'whistle for barking'. Why not just use your voice?[/QUOTE]
That is a great idea! I will definately be starting that today. Thank you.

With regards to the whistle....

We have tried our voice but it does not seem to be doing anything. The whistle interupts him and he concentrates on us. My worry is that after a day or he will just become desensitized to it. I really do need to try something because he is really bad. Litterally starting at the back door and all the way to the back fence in a full on bark fest!

tenderfoot August 14th, 2011 07:08 PM

The whistle is simply a startle (as you said it interupts his behavior), a hand clap, foot stomp or finger snap should accomplish it just as well. If he isn't listening to your voice correction then he isnt respecting your word. Be careful that he doesn't think you are just barking too.
He has to feel your energy come towards him, in order for him to understand what is being said. Your tone should be short, firm and abrupt. Make your point and then back away. Do not berate him or freak him out, simply make your point and then back away. It might take a few corrections for him to understand the consistency of his behavior and your response. When you see him calm down, you can calmly praise him.
Then hook him up on a leash and spend some time with him. Work the things he knows and teach him something new. A bored puppy is an obnoxious puppy.