Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   A prayer for my girl (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=63358)

Puppyluv June 10th, 2009 01:43 PM

A prayer for my girl

My sweetie Layla somehow lacerated her cornea on Sunday. I have no idea what happened. We were outside in the back yard and she was just sitting there. The next thing I knew, she let out a yelp that sounded like she was dying. She got excited, but then quickly calmed down, and nothing seemed wrong. She was fine until Monday night, when she started squinting her right eye. Tuesday morning, her eye was swollen shut, and her eye was extremely wet and milky.
I brought her to the vet about an hour later, and after a lengthy examination, the vet determined that Layla had badly lacerated the cornea, and would need stitches. During the surgery, they realized that the cut was much deeper than they thought, and as soon as any amount of pressure was put on the eye (in order to put in the stitched) the eye perforated and the vitreous humour started leaking out. They sealed the hole and filled the eye with saline until her body can produce new humour.
She's home now, and in so much pain and misery. They stitched her third eyelid closed in order to provide a structural support, and she looks so sad.:sad: 2 weeks of short, slow walks around the block and that's it, lest the eye burst from any amount of pressure. So for now it's just keeping my hopes up.:fingerscr:dog:

Puppyluv June 10th, 2009 01:54 PM

Pictures... graphic

Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, but here are two pics of her:
[IMG]http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww111/Rebcca_India_Maldives/LBM/DSC_0570.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww111/Rebcca_India_Maldives/LBM/DSC_0571.jpg[/IMG]

EndOfFashion June 10th, 2009 02:12 PM

Poor girl. I've never seen your Layla before, but she's beautiful!

:fingerscr:goodvibes: for a speedy recovery.

bendyfoot June 10th, 2009 02:13 PM

awwwwwww, poor baby!!!!:grouphug:

Sylvie June 10th, 2009 02:22 PM

What a cutie. I bet she is sad because of the ugly white thing on her neck. My Shadow acts like she is dying when she has to wear the collar. My big guy Stoney just Shut Down.

:pray: that everything goes well for your cutie. Please keep us posted.

hazelrunpack June 10th, 2009 03:08 PM

Oh, poor Layla! :grouphug: Cornea injuries are so uncomfortable!

:goodvibes: for a speedy and smooth recovery.

ancientgirl June 10th, 2009 03:23 PM

Oh, no! Poor baby! Will her eye be okay once it's healed? :goodvibes::pray:

the gang June 10th, 2009 03:23 PM

keeping fingers crossed for her recovery, brenda and the pins.:grouphug:

Love4himies June 10th, 2009 06:46 PM

Oh my goodness, poor baby :sad: :grouphug:. Sending some :goodvibes: for a quick and complete recovery.

Could the vet give any indication? Could a bug have flown into her eye and bit her??

Puppyluv June 10th, 2009 06:51 PM

Thanks everyone for the warm wishes.:lovestruck:
The vet said that the kind of cut it is looks most like an animal claw. Her first question was the cats, but both cats were inside, and Layla was outside when she had her giant yelp of pain. At first we thought it might have just been a bug bite, but seeing the huge cut ruled that out. The vet also said that a branch could have done it, but it's unlikely... it would have had to have been a very sharp branch, and we mowed and cleared the whole yard the day before, so there was nothing lying around.
The cut is surprisingly bad, extending almost the entire length of the cornea and all the way through it in places.
If all goes well :fingerscr her sight will be fine, but she will have a scar that will probably create some sort of line in her field of vision.
The little girl is asleep and finally getting a break from the constant desire to scratch it.

dmc123 June 10th, 2009 06:52 PM

I sure hope she heals fast and gets the cone off soon!

Best to you and her!

Diane

muggsmom June 11th, 2009 08:36 AM

Awww, poor little girl, she looks so uncomfortable. Paws crossed for a speedy and complete recovery.

hazelrunpack June 11th, 2009 09:52 AM

How is Layla doing this morning, Puppyluv? :goodvibes:

Just a thought--does she chase squirrels? Any chance she caught one yesterday while out in the yard? :o

Mat&Murph June 11th, 2009 10:21 AM

Awwww poor Girl!!! Hugs and well wishes for a speedy recovery!!!!!

joeysmama June 11th, 2009 10:40 AM

Joey had the same thing and it was just heartbreaking!! He didn't have the perforation so for a time it was a matter of putting ointment in the eye and going to the vet once a week to have the eye "scored" so that it would heal. This was an attempt to avoid surgery but then it was determined that he really needed the surgery to make it a "once and done" thing since it wasn't completely healing.

I wished we had done it sooner. It's so sad to see them like that but it really did the trick and he never had another problem with it. I hope the same holds true for Layla.

Luvmypitgirls June 11th, 2009 12:21 PM

She looks so sad in her pictures:sad:..just wanna reach out and give her a squeeze.

:pray: that everything is okay and that she heals up really fast.

..please give her a hug from me...:)

kandy June 11th, 2009 12:53 PM

Everything crossed here that she fully recovers. Poor girl, she does look sad.