Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Thinking Of Fostering (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=82911)

Embery November 27th, 2012 02:15 PM

Thinking Of Fostering

Hello,
My boyfriend and I are considering fostering a dog once we get our new place. We have a dog of our own and would like to foster a little guy to help them out. I am just not sure if it's a good idea or not. Do you need to do special training? Do you need to be a certain age to foster? (I am 20 and he is 23) Would we be too young for them to consider us? I know it won't be for a while but I want to be prepared for when we are ready to foster.

Thanks in advance.

Barkingdog November 27th, 2012 04:50 PM

How does your dog get along with others dogs , does it like to play with dogs or does it get jealous if you try to pet another dog? I think the first thing you need to decide is how will your dog will react to another dog in his/her house. What kind of dog do you have ? If you call a shelter they will ask you questions to see if you're suitable to be foster parents to a dog. I was one to some kittens and I was a lot of questions, like how long will the kittens be alone , do I own my house, do I have another pets etc. I don't think your ages will matter .

Embery November 27th, 2012 05:05 PM

Usually she loves to play with the other dogs and doesn't even remember I am there. Although there has never been a dog coming into her territory before. I have a fixed female Schnauzer/Dachshund mix, she turned 1 on Nov. 4th. She has a strong personality, they would have to match it. I would be scared that if they didn't she would bully the other dog. She bullies my mom's Golden Retriever, and the current neighbour's dogs bully her depending 2-4 sometimes. It's not like I don't do anything to stop it from happening but it's hard to do it when the neighbour's dogs aren't fenced in while mine is on a leash. I have looked at applications that were online and they do ask a lot of questions, I have no problem answering them.

Barkingdog November 28th, 2012 12:01 AM

Your dog sound really cute , does have she a body like a Schnauzer or a Dachshund? Yeah it hard to know how dogs will get along with another in their
territory . My dog got along great with a male Schnauzer he met in a park but the Schnauzer did not like my male dog being his yard. The Schnauzer was not neuter and he attacked my dog when he was invited to play with him.

Embery November 28th, 2012 07:44 AM

From what I have noticed, she has the legs of the schnauzer cause they aren't short at all. Body length looks like a Dachshund, she used to sit funny but really doesn't anymore. (Like a Dachshund would with their bum sticking out.) My little cutie below (that was when she was younger), when the neighour's dogs come to bark at her, she wants to play but they don't want to. I don't know I guess I will have to see.

[IMG]http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/420721_10151377220365722_1271317858_n.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/309993_10151421782495722_572596757_n.jpg[/IMG]

Barkingdog November 28th, 2012 11:04 AM

OMG she is adorable! I love her hair do. I love the expression on her cute little face in the second photo.

Dog Dancer November 28th, 2012 11:34 AM

Hi Embery, I've never fostered so don't really know the in's and out's, but I would say it would be appropriate to have the foster facility bring you a prospective pup for a home visit. I'm sure they'll want to do a home visit at some point anyhow. You could always ask to have any prospective foster come over to see how your pup (who is adorable!:lovestruck:) and the foster would get along.

Embery November 28th, 2012 12:10 PM

Thanks, it's sad that I got her hair cut so she doesn't really look like this anymore but still cute. But I guess I will have to see and check with different foster places and see what they do. Hopefully I will be able to help a little guy or girl out, one of those things on my list of things to do in life. If I do foster a dog, I will definitely share (post) them so everyone can see.

Dog Dancer November 28th, 2012 02:24 PM

Bless you for wanting to help out, but if fostering doesn't pan out for you for whatever reason, you could always consider volunteering at a shelter or rescue to walk the animals, or just go in to groom and visit. There are many ways to help the animals in need other than just fostering - although that is probably the most fun way.:D

Barkingdog November 28th, 2012 02:38 PM

[QUOTE=Dog Dancer;1050023]Hi Embery, I've never fostered so don't really know the in's and out's, but I would say it would be appropriate to have the foster facility bring you a prospective pup for a home visit. I'm sure they'll want to do a home visit at some point anyhow. You could always ask to have any prospective foster come over to see how your pup (who is adorable!:lovestruck:) and the foster would get along.[/QUOTE]

That is a great idea DD, I hope the shelter would be willing to bring a foster dog to Embery's house to see how the dogs would get along. I been meeting a lot of dog owners that have recuse dogs from other states . I think more people are starting to realize there are so many wonderful pets in shelters waiting for a forever home. I think it's great Embery, want to help a foster dog .

Dog Dancer November 28th, 2012 03:58 PM

Oh Embery, just remember that Foster Failure is a common thing (fostering means you're ultimately giving the dog to someone else of course, being a Foster Failure means you ultimately must keep the dog and end up adopting it yourself!) If you do foster, just be prepared that you may fall in love!:lovestruck:

Barkingdog November 28th, 2012 08:25 PM

[QUOTE=Dog Dancer;1050037]Oh Embery, just remember that Foster Failure is a common thing (fostering means you're ultimately giving the dog to someone else of course, being a Foster Failure means you ultimately must keep the dog and end up adopting it yourself!) If you do foster, just be prepared that you may fall in love!:lovestruck:[/QUOTE]

That happen to me when I foster two kittens I fell in low with them. It is so easy to fall in love with dog or cat, I am falling in love with Embery's dog.

Embery November 29th, 2012 08:19 AM

I hear that a lot that people fall in love and end up adopting. I know that I will get attached to any dog that I foster, I know that for a fact but I will have to remind myself that this isn't their home that there is someone who wants them more than you and that's where they are supposed to be. I know it will be hard to see them go and I will probably cry but I will know that I helped them and then I can help another one.