Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Old cat diet (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=73930)

acb December 5th, 2010 02:28 PM

Old cat diet

Good day all-
I have been doing some research online, but would like to get more opinions. My cat is 19, she is very tiny. Only in the last year has she shown her age a little, she is quite healthy.
She began to get very skinny last winter, so i started feeding her wet food (all her life prior to this she ate can food maybe twice a year). When i give her dry food now, she will throw it up 50% of the time. I dont want to keep giving her wetfood- it cant be good for her, im afraid of what is in it. I think maybe a soft type of dry food along with perhaps a brand of wet food that you guys recommend? Also- what do you think about powder vitamin supplements that you put in their food?

Thanks for your help everyone.

Winston December 5th, 2010 03:35 PM

The best thing you could ever do is get rid of the dry and feed only wet. Years ago people thought they should only feed dry because it keeps a cats teeth clean but boy its not very healthy. What canned are you feeding now? There are a ton of people on this site with kitty food knowledge but I am sure if you search around youll find lots of interesting articles and links about pet nutrician.

sugarcatmom December 5th, 2010 04:21 PM

[QUOTE=acb;969605]My cat is 19, she is very tiny. Only in the last year has she shown her age a little, she is quite healthy. [/quote]

Welcome to pets.ca! 19, wow, that's fabulous.

[QUOTE=acb;969605]She began to get very skinny last winter, [/quote]

Has she been for a check-up at the vets recently? Once cats are in their golden years, it's a good idea to take them twice a year for blood work and urinalysis, to catch any illnesses before they become too serious.

[QUOTE=acb;969605]so i started feeding her wet food (all her life prior to this she ate can food maybe twice a year). When i give her dry food now, she will throw it up 50% of the time. [/quote]

Ditch the dry. It's actually not good for any cat, but especially older cats that need all the protein and moisture they can get. Look for something with little to no grains, no by-products, and minimal fish. What foods are you feeding her now? Here is a good link for you to check out on the subject of feline nutrition: [url]www.catinfo.org[/url]

[QUOTE=acb;969605]Also- what do you think about powder vitamin supplements that you put in their food?[/QUOTE]

Depends on what supplement you're referring to. Some are good, some aren't. At your cat's age, I'd recommend finding some NuCat Senior vitamins by Vetri-Science. Some vet clinics sell them, or you can order them online.

acb December 5th, 2010 04:51 PM

Wow thanks guys- thats a lot of useful stuff. I posted this questions and got a bunch of answer before my cat even woke up.
I actually thought dry food was better- so that is good info.

I will check out that link (looks like a lot of good info) and take note of all your recommendations.

I took her to the vet last year- i didnt know twice a year was optimal, though it makes sense. Im always afraid the travel would be too hard on her, but ultimately it is for her own good!

chico2 December 5th, 2010 05:11 PM

acb,you have certainly done something right with her,she is 19 yrs old:thumbs up
But definitely scrap the dry food,there are a variety of good healthy canned food out there,my cats prefer Wellness grainfree canned over any other food I've tried,good luck:cat:

LMG January 7th, 2011 04:15 PM

Maybe check your area to see if there are any vets that can do housecalls. It will cost more but if you are worried about the extra stress (as I am with my 19 y.o.) it is worth it - less stress for both of you.