Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Dog wont eat (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42243)

shallon121 July 5th, 2007 04:37 PM

Dog wont eat

:sad: my 1 yr old shepard boxer mix has not eaten a thing today she will drink water but has not eaten a thing at all i called the vet i am waiting for them to call back. any ideas she is not vomitting or anyting else any hints greatful ty all

Dr Lee July 5th, 2007 05:10 PM

Shallon,

Unfortunately 'not eating' is a clinical sign with a wide range of possibilities. Anything that can make them not feel well can lead to loss of appetite. The good news is that in dogs, unlike cats, many times the clinical sign of 'not eating' may be linked to less serious causes. Taking her to a veterinarian is an excellent idea to rule out the potential serious causes of not eating and to help her feel better.

Good luck and let us know what your veterinarian says. :pawprint:

sissani July 5th, 2007 09:50 PM

Like Dr Lee said, it could be any number of things. If she still wont eat in a day or two, I would get ahold of your vet. But otherwise probably just keeping an eye out for other symptoms is all you can do.

Hope she feels better!

shallon121 July 7th, 2007 07:44 AM

part 2 of dog wont eat

:frustrated: :mad: :sad:

well vet wont see hre casue my briohter never paid off my last bill i gave him the money befor i went out of town to help an inlaw and now they want nothing to do with me cause he did not pay the bill. as of right now i dont have the money to pay it either and they want all or nothing. i got her to eat some rice and a piece of cheese yesterday. but now she has diarrhea there is no blood in it. she is drinking alot of water and is very active still wants to play and run every chance she gets. i dont know what to do. any suggestions

badger July 7th, 2007 08:15 AM

Time to beg, borrow or steal the money, bloody diarrhea means she MUST be seen by a vet. No homemade treatments can cure infection.
You need to find another vet quickly. Some of them will accept partial payment until you have the rest. Your local shelter might have access to low-cost care; call them too. Call your friends, I'm sure some of them are animal lovers like you.

mandakyle July 7th, 2007 09:57 AM

same problem

I had the same problem a few months ago...my dog wouldn't eat anything but human food or treats...so we tried just not feeding him anything for about 5 or 6 days...eventually he got pretty hungry and ate the food...dogs won't starve themselves...they'll give in eventually

Dr Lee July 7th, 2007 10:30 AM

I agree with Badger, I recommend that you see a vet. While sometimes pets that don't eat will start eating again - this is not always the case. Again, the act of not eating can have a wide range of causes. Some of these causes may be self limiting and some may not be. Waiting to see if she will start to eat again - may work, but if it does not, the pet may be in a worse and more critical situation.

Good luck. :pawprint:

mummummum July 7th, 2007 10:47 AM

[QUOTE=mandakyle;448464]I had the same problem a few months ago...my dog wouldn't eat anything but human food or treats...so we tried just not feeding him anything for about 5 or 6 days...eventually he got pretty hungry and ate the food...dogs won't starve themselves...they'll give in eventually[/QUOTE]

Allowing puppies and dogs to go that long without nourishment when they are ill ( ie. bloody diarrhea) is dangerous and yes, dogs will starve themselves if they are sick enough. This is not the case of a dog who doesn't like his food.

Shallon ~ you need see a Vet if only to check on the bloody diarrhea ~ I'm sure you will do whatever you need to do to get your puppy there.

sugarcatmom July 7th, 2007 11:51 AM

I think the OP said the diarrhea WASN'T bloody:

[quote]but now she has diarrhea there is [b]no[/b] blood in it.[/quote]

But either way, I'd still be inclined to take the pup to a vet.

badger July 7th, 2007 01:44 PM

Oops :sorry: But I would still consult a vet, especially if he's not eating. Maybe a fecal exam for parasites would be a good start.

rainbow July 7th, 2007 03:23 PM

You definitely need to find a way to take your dog to the vet. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

shallon121 July 9th, 2007 07:45 AM

dog wont eat part 3

:frustrated: :sad: :) :love: well ihave gotten her to eat a few items she poop is statting to comeo ut solid again but it has like a mucus around it i am still trying to find a vet that will take a payment but so far no luck i am going to hunt around today she is still full of energy and loves to chase the birds . i am glad she is eating though but i am still worried about the poop casue of the mucas around the poop any ideas ty for all your concerns