Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OSPCA BARRIE, ONT - Spay/Neuter Clinic (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=65363)

Chris21711 September 2nd, 2009 12:38 PM

OSPCA BARRIE, ONT - Spay/Neuter Clinic

The spay/neuter clinic in Barrie, Ontario are currently taking appointments and are scheduled to open mid-September :thumbs up

[url]http://ontariospca.ca/press_releases/2009/09_aug27.html[/url]

Love4himies September 2nd, 2009 06:13 PM

Yay for another one :thumbs up :highfive:. The more pets spayed/neutered, the less that can contribute to the overpopulation!!!

Akira September 2nd, 2009 08:47 PM

I hope I dont offend anyone asking this, but are these clinics safe?
I've never had to go to one, but I don't know if I would be comfortable having my pet spayed/neautered for so cheap. Maybe for a male cause the procedure isn't that bad but for a female i'd be worried.

Does everything always go well at these types of clinics?

14+kitties September 2nd, 2009 10:10 PM

[QUOTE=Akira;821506]I hope I dont offend anyone asking this, but are these clinics safe?
I've never had to go to one, but I don't know if I would be comfortable having my pet spayed/neautered for so cheap. Maybe for a male cause the procedure isn't that bad but for a female i'd be worried.

Does everything always go well at these types of clinics?[/QUOTE]

Can you specify what you mean exactly by "these types of clinics"? Are you worried that they are not being run properly; not using qualified vets; not being hygenic; are an assembly line type of operation? I am a little confused. Nothing new. :o

I have recently become involved with a feral group in a city close to me that is run by a vet. She does low cost ($50) s/n clinics on Monday nights. Currently she is working on trying to get a low cost clinic opened in her city. It's a lot of hard work but she is making progress. Her s/n includes the operation, microchipping, rabies, revolution, first shots, insurance for 45 days.
I also work through a fantastic rescue in TO that does low cost s/n, first shots, rabies, revolution all for a donation/whatever you can afford.
Over the last year and a half I have had 28 or so(sorry I've lost count) cats done through this organization. I have not had a problem with any single one of these kitties.
The only time I did have a problem is when I first started this journey I am on and took my males to a vet in my area. He did 4 or 5 for me with not too many issues except he kept finding things that needed "fixed" before he could operate. He found a flea at the base of one cat's tail so they all needed to be treated. He found a tape worm segment on another cat so they all needed to be treated. Small things but they cost more money to do. The last time I picked up a cat from him it was quite clear to me that the cat had just come out of the operating room. He was very groggy, still smelled very strongly of antiseptic, was still wet from said antiseptic, and was still very bloody. I found out afterwards from an ex employee of his that he had his wife helping out in the operating room. She did not have a license to do so.
So, the long and the short of it is...... a "regular" vet will not do anything differently than "this type of clinic" does except charge you a h*** of a lot more money. These clinics are operated under the same mandate a vet operating his own office has to follow. In fact I would tend to believe that they are under stricter guidelines than a "normal" vet would be.
Of course this is just my humble opinion.

Akira September 2nd, 2009 10:21 PM

Thanks for you :2cents: 14+.

I ment basicaly what you thought I ment, that they could possibly work like a "assembly line", or not be hygenic and maybe rush things a little more then a regular vet would. But I have heard many stories on here about vets doing stupid things. So I guess it depends on the place and the people? :shrug:

14+kitties September 2nd, 2009 10:29 PM

I'm sure Chris will be able to give you more information about the actual running of these clinics but, as I said, I would think their guidelines are pretty stringent.
I know my every day vet has one day a week put aside for s/n. He usually is booked solid for that day. So that means he is doing one right after another. Pretty much the same as the clinic would be doing, no?

Akira September 2nd, 2009 10:42 PM

Yea I guess your right.

I think i'm just a bit of a worry wart. I cried when both of my dogs were s/n.:o So maybe i'm a little too scepticle. :rolleyes:

Love4himies September 3rd, 2009 07:01 AM

I have fostered quite a few cats who get spayed/neutered at a vet office that does many for a low cost to the humane society and there has never been one single issue with any.

It is not the price you pay for a vet that determines if he/she is good and clean ;).

Chris21711 September 3rd, 2009 08:07 AM

[QUOTE=Love4himies;821639]

It is not the price you pay for a vet that determines if he/she is good and clean ;).[/QUOTE]

Well said L4H :thumbs up

These clinics are staffed by Professionals in their field...there are members of this forum that have used the services of the S/N clinic in Newmarket, it is my understanding that they were completely satisfied with the outcome.

aslan September 3rd, 2009 08:33 AM

i can say from personal experience that the first spay/neuter clinic gives excellent service. I had my male golden snipped there a few months ago and we were quite pleased with the care they took. It concerns me more that the other vet clinics gouge so much for the exact same service. We had been quoted from $580. to $ 1000. for the procedure elsewhere.

Love4himies September 3rd, 2009 08:53 AM

[QUOTE=aslan;821660]i can say from personal experience that the first spay/neuter clinic gives excellent service. I had my male golden snipped there a few months ago and we were quite pleased with the care they took. It concerns me more that the other vet clinics gouge so much for the exact same service. We had been quoted from $580. to $ 1000. for the procedure elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

And that, for the average family is a lot of money, so the procedure gets delayed. For cats it runs from $200-$500, just crazy for a 15 minute operation.

mafiaprincess September 3rd, 2009 09:28 PM

When Cider got accidentally cut by the groomer the total bill for 15 min of surgery ended up being like $740 or so.. I asked how a spay can be $250-$300 for 15 minutes of surgery and I was getting hosed for more than double to cut off a flap of skin and stitch it shut.

They were snotty with me and told me 'they greatly reduce the spay and neuter cost otherwise people wouldn't do it.. and they can't reduce the cost of other surgeries'.

Akira September 4th, 2009 09:51 AM

Wow mafiaprincess, thats pretty outrageous.

it cost me 330$ for my male, who wieghed 98 pounds at the time, and my female was $550! and she was only 50 pounds.. I wish I would have asked about the s/n clinics before I just assumed the vet was a safer bet.

Anyone know why vets charge so darn much for everything?

Just takeing your pet to the vet is $65, no matter if theres somthing wrong with them or not. :frustrated:

14+kitties September 4th, 2009 09:58 AM

[QUOTE=Akira;822220]Wow mafiaprincess, thats pretty outrageous.

it cost me 330$ for my male, who wieghed 98 pounds at the time, and my female was $550! and she was only 50 pounds.. I wish I would have asked about the s/n clinics before I just assumed the vet was a safer bet.

Anyone know why vets charge so darn much for everything?

Just takeing your pet to the vet is $65, no matter if theres somthing wrong with them or not. :frustrated:[/QUOTE]

It doesn't help the area you live in. Wasaga is a tourist area. :shrug: Of course vets, like a lot of other places in the general region, gouge. I'm from Owen Sound. Lived there for a lot of years.
Toronto s/n clinic is only $60 for dogs, $50 for cats, $10 for each shot if I remember right.
My vet doesn't go by weight. It's just so much per animal. More for females because there is more involved.
My vet is $53 for an office visit. More if it's an emergency.
FYI - these clinics use qualified vets. The vet I talked about in my first post in this thread does s/n for the HS in her city. I think it works the same most places.

Chris21711 September 18th, 2009 10:58 AM

Just bumping up :)