Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Spring garden (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=78395)

Goldfields August 25th, 2011 03:37 AM

Spring garden

3 Attachment(s)
With just one week till Spring my garden is starting to take off again. Here are the daffodils, Ice Follies, Jetfire and Tete-a-tete. I let shelties in my face while weeding distract me today and managed to stick a garden fork into my shoe and two toes. I suppose much better my toes than theirs though. :D

Goldfields August 25th, 2011 03:53 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Oh, btw, this is a new camera I am using now, just a Fujifilm JZ500, my Canon had a meltdown. :D I think it's an improvement.

Schizanthus(aka Poor man's orchid)
Pink Lavender
Salvia

Goldfields August 25th, 2011 04:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Blue is always nice in a garden I think.

Echium
Salvia
Nigella

Melinda August 25th, 2011 04:10 AM

oh those are just gorgeous, I like the poor mans orchid!

Goldfields August 25th, 2011 04:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Now the Wallflower's perfume is overpowering the lovely scent of the Alyssum. :thumbs up No roses or even buds yet though. :(

Goldfields August 25th, 2011 04:18 AM

[QUOTE=Melinda;1022191]oh those are just gorgeous, I like the poor mans orchid![/QUOTE]

Charming little flower, isn't it, Melinda ? It's the first time I've grown it. :)

hazelrunpack August 25th, 2011 08:28 AM

They're all beautiful! I've been faithfully taking pics of all my flowers as they bloom but never got around to processing them! :laughing: Well, most of them, anyway... It'll be a refreshing fall/winter activity, looking at the pics again. :D

Owie on your foot!! How much damage did you do to your toes--and can you get the boot repaired?

Goldfields August 25th, 2011 11:04 AM

It's a smaller than usual garden fork, narrower, with sharp tines, Hazel, and I have a habit of using it, then hitting it into the ground so it stays standing up, ready for me to grab, and that time I whacked it into the foot instead. LOL. I soaked it in Betadine wash and applied bandaids but I couldn't see what I did to one toe, it was in between, on the inside. Never mind. I might ring the Dr tomorrow just in case he thinks a tetanus jab is in order. My shoe isn't waterproof now but they are only an old pair of Reebok Walkers I wear around home .

It's very cold tonight and I'm now off out to the sheep to see if any lambs are on their way. Brrrr!

Goldfields September 14th, 2011 08:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some more Spring blooms. Heartsease and two different Schizanthus.

Goldfields September 14th, 2011 09:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Durch Iris
Grevillia
Cerinthe Major

Goldfields September 20th, 2011 01:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Something different today, a mystery shrub that turned out to be a lilac, Syringa Laciniata. The second photo shows it has lobed leaves, unlike other lilacs. The other plant is one of my toothbrush Grevilleas enjoying the Spring, or really the subsoil moisture from the start of the year. I never water these native plants so this is the best floral show it's put on so far.

Goldfields September 30th, 2011 12:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Bearded Iris season of course but I've only got 2 flowers out so far. Third flower is Penstemon Rose Robin.

hazelrunpack September 30th, 2011 12:59 AM

Love that penstemon!!

Goldfields September 30th, 2011 04:57 AM

Hmmm. Pretty one, isn't it? I saw a lovely dark ruby red one on a garden forum today too.

lindapalm September 30th, 2011 11:16 PM

I'm so jealous, most of my flowers are on their last leg, and I've dumped all the potted ones. Keep sending pictures, May is a long time away.

Goldfields October 1st, 2011 04:48 AM

lindpalm, there are a few Irises about to flower and the roses are budding up better than last Spring, so a nice time ahead for photo's. I do have heaps of sympathy for all who are heading for the colder months now.

Dee-O-Gee October 1st, 2011 10:16 PM

Thank you for sharing all of your lovely Spring flowers GF. :)

Just as our summer has winded down and fall kicks in, it's so nice to see your Spring and Summer flower shows to get us through the cold weather. :thumbs up

How long is your Spring and when does your summer kick in? :shrug:

Goldfields October 2nd, 2011 12:56 AM

Spring is Sept., Oct. Nov. here, Dee-O-Gee, and Summer is Dec., January and February. March can still be quite hot though. I'm hoping for another cool, wet Summer like last year, without the floods. It inspires me to keep gardening, a plea from any of you for flowers during your cold months. The Spring growth, aka weeds, is unreal this year, lambing was particularly hectic and things got away on me , so now I have to get busy and knock the garden into shape again. It's daunting when I look at what needs to be done though.

Goldfields October 7th, 2011 10:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I've about a dozen different irises about to bloom, this first one is a bit plain unfortunately. Columbines are a bit of a favorite here.

hazelrunpack October 7th, 2011 03:58 PM

I love irises, plain or not! :lovestruck: Kinda fond of columbine, too! :D

Goldfields October 7th, 2011 06:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My only complaint about irises is that the flowers don't last long enough, they are worth waiting for though.

Seduction rose bud.
Pink Echium.
Poppies.

Goldfields October 7th, 2011 07:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
New William Shakespeare rose.
Daisy
Sweet Peas

Goldfields October 7th, 2011 07:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Can't recall the name of the orange flowering bulb.
Two very different Columbines.
Wallflowers.

Goldfields October 7th, 2011 07:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Cistus , aka Rock rose. Pansies and Petunia.

Goldfields October 8th, 2011 06:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, another day, another Iris, this time a very dark one. Contrasts well with the other colors. My favorite so far has been one called Wearing Rubies, but I'm not sure if it will flower this year.

hazelrunpack October 9th, 2011 08:20 AM

I hear you about the short-lived iris blooms, GF. I love them for their texture, color and unique shape, but I'd like 'em even better if they bloomed longer!

Yours are gorgeous! One of the guys that came here for birdbanding this year was thinning out his bearded iris bed this summer and brought me a bunch of tubers. I'm crossing my fingers for spring to see what colors survive having been touched by Hazel of the Moldy Thumb. :o

[I]All[/I] your flowers are beautiful. :lovestruck: All of mine are down to seed heads and frost-blighted leaves. The birds are chowing down, though, so the gardens are still fun to watch. :D

Goldfields October 13th, 2011 10:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
You are so hard on yourself, Hazel. :D It's probably soil, just general growing conditions, if you can't get something going. Hope your irises survive.
Must say I like the colour of the foliage on the first flower here.
Kiss Me Quick. (Centranthus)
Coral Bells (Heuchera sanguinea)
Argyeanthemum Reflections Pink.

Winston October 14th, 2011 07:43 AM

GF I love your gardens! OMG they look like they would keep you busy!

If you ever want to send some seeds this way I will take whatever you have!! That columbine is devine!!!! :thumbs up

Maybe we should try a seed exchange again!

Goldfields October 14th, 2011 08:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Winston, I'll PM or email you later. :) Got sidetracked watching a Vintage Car rally go by our front gate, and now just want to post a photo or two and go and do some work. Another iris opened this morning. And, speaking of irises, just saw an advert. for someone locally who is selling irises for only $2 to $4 a rhizome. :thumbs up Must pay her a visit. They are named irises from a top Iris Nursery.

Goldfields October 15th, 2011 08:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just one quick photo today, another lovely dark iris.