Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Wildlife - squrriels, raccoons, skunks, opossums, groundhogs, etc. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Is it safe >feeding pomegranates to squirrels, raccoons, birds? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=86780)

VIOLET0019 November 18th, 2015 12:08 PM

Is it safe >feeding pomegranates to squirrels, raccoons, birds?

I would appreciate to receive opinions if it is safe to feed the pomegranate to squirrels, skunks, raccoons, birds - any city wildlife? Thank you.

Barkingdog November 18th, 2015 04:05 PM

It's not a good idea to feed wild animals , they needs to be able find food on their own in order to survive . I was told by a wildlife expert when a person feed a wildlife animal it could lose it natural fear of people and thrust the wrong one and be killed . Wildlife animals needs to be treats as a wild animal if you find one that needs help call a wildlife expert and let them care for it.

Dee-O-Gee November 18th, 2015 06:45 PM

If you have any perennial flowers, don't cut them down. 3 years ago I forgot to cut off the the stalks from my Yucca's and it turned out to be a very harsh winter. In spring of 2013, the stalks were all gnawed and shredded from animals looking for food. Trimmed them off in the spring and everything grew back normally. Haven't cut them off since and am leaving all my other perennials intact this winter for the wildlife - just in case. :thumbs up

VIOLET0019 November 20th, 2015 04:43 PM

Re pomegranates

[QUOTE=Barkingdog;1072446]It's not a good idea to feed wild animals , they needs to be able find food on their own in order to survive . I was told by a wildlife expert when a person feed a wildlife animal it could lose it natural fear of people and thrust the wrong one and be killed . Wildlife animals needs to be treats as a wild animal if you find one that needs help call a wildlife expert and let them care for it.[/QUOTE]
Thank you for your reply.I understand and agree, but if I do not feed them personally and leave some of the fruit in a park, or on a corner of the lawn, and do not actually personally feed them,but just leave outside, is this ok? I am wondering if their digestion is ok eating this fruit.I purchased some on sale and cannot eat them as they are not good, so thought maybe to leave them outside....? Thanks.🙂

Van Mark October 15th, 2016 12:14 PM

They should be fine with it.Racoons will eat all most anything except tomatoes or cabbage.Doesnt hurt to leave something out.If your worried about them always coming back put the food far from your home

Barkingdog October 15th, 2016 03:51 PM

Raccoon will also eat cats so if you have a cat that goes out a lot you shouldn't feed raccoons. It's really a bad idea to leave food outside for wild animals it keep them from hunting for food and they'll lose their fear of people. This also put the animals of risk of being killed by people who don't feel the same way about wild animals and the animal are more likely to attack a person if they become too use to people. Wild animals should left alone so they'll stay 'wild' and keep their natural fear of people .