Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Some opinions needed on EVO and Innova foods (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50446)

ancientgirl March 13th, 2008 12:04 PM

Some opinions needed on EVO and Innova foods

So yet again I'm thinking of giving some higher quality food a try for the gang. Czarina already eats the Innova dry, and she loves it. I've tried to feed the others Wellness, which they don't like. I also tried something new I saw "Spot's stew," but they didn't like it, and poor Maks barfed it all up. My best friend gave me the Innova Czarina eats, because she'd gotten it before her kitty passed away. She told me where she got it, so I found out they sell other kinds of products from that company. I'm thinking of getting a few cans of the EVO food to see how it goes.

Does anybody here feed this to their kitties? I really want to get them off of the Fancy Feast and to something of better quality. I've been buying the kinds with no wheat gluten, but I know they should be eating better. I just can't get them to like the taste of anything else.:frustrated:

sugarcatmom March 13th, 2008 01:26 PM

[QUOTE=ancientgirl;562604]I'm thinking of getting a few cans of the EVO food to see how it goes.[/quote]

The Innova EVO 95% meat canned foods are great, but if your cats didn't like Wellness, they may not go for this either. There is also EVO 'Cat and Kitten' canned food, but this one is quite high in calories and extremely high in phosphorus. The phosphorus shouldn't be a big deal since your kitties are young, but I wouldn't necessarily feed it all the time either.

[QUOTE=ancientgirl;562604] I just can't get them to like the taste of anything else.:frustrated:[/QUOTE]

The key is to introduce it slowly. Mix very small amounts (like start with less than a tsp at first) in with their usual food, and see how that goes. Increase the proportion gradually. Part of the problem is all of the flavour "enhancements" that are put in so many of the cheaper foods to make them more appealing to cats. Add that to their natural inclination to be suspicious of new things and it can be quite a challenge to get them eating better food. Have you checked out some of these tips?: [url]http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitioning_Dry_Food_Addicts_to_Canned_Food_[/url] It has more to do with switching cats from dry to wet, but some of the principles still apply.

ancientgirl March 13th, 2008 01:44 PM

You know, I think that's probably been why they didn't take to it. I didn't introduce it to them gradually. :wall: I is a dork!

So what I should do is just buy them their FF, and get some of the EVO, and just start off with mixing a little bit into their food and slowly increase the EVO and decrease the FF. I can't believe I'm such a putz. No wonder they didn't like it. I just would put a can of the new stuff on their plates thinking they'd just take to it.

I'm going to start this weekend. I'll go and get the EVO tomorrow night and start the transition on Saturday. I think this is going to be a long process, because they REALLY like their FF.

marko March 13th, 2008 03:25 PM

We've been using Innova Senior for Ziglet for about 1 year and he quite likes it.
It hasn't helped that much with his dandruffiness but his fur sure is soft.
It's not the 'Evo' line but it's still Innova.

sugarcatmom is 100% correct! mixing the old with the new food gradually, is one of the keys to transitioning foods.

Ford Girl March 13th, 2008 04:18 PM

Pubert liked it alot, and he eats Innova Senior Kibble, but we changed the Evo wet to Merrick wet cuz Pubert had bad gas on the Evo...we had never heard him fart before, but each time he used the litter box for poop or pee, he'd let one rip :eek:...put Dazy to shame a few times! :laughing: But he liked it, he likes the Merrick too, and it's good quality, just not as rich.

ancientgirl March 13th, 2008 06:12 PM

Thanks for your comments. I'm definitely going to start with the EVO with them. Hopefully this time, I'll get it right and they'll like it.

Ford girl, I laughed so hard at your comment I nearly peed myself. Mine can let some seriously nasty smelling ones go, but I've never heard any of them fart.