Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   3 Year Non-Adjuvanted Rabies Vaccine Now Available for Cats (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=85982)

Longblades October 23rd, 2014 11:43 AM

3 Year Non-Adjuvanted Rabies Vaccine Now Available for Cats

[url]http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/3-Year-Nonadjuvanted-Rabies-Vaccine-Available-for-Cats/[/url]

Great news for cat owners. :)

hazelrunpack October 23rd, 2014 12:58 PM

That [I]is[/I] good news!

lindapalm October 23rd, 2014 10:04 PM

I'm going to se if our vet will have them shortly. He wants to give our 12 yr old a rabies shot in three months because he insists she can't stay overnight for tests without one, and I'm really hesitant in giving her one.

Longblades October 24th, 2014 09:31 AM

[QUOTE=lindapalm;1068838]I'm going to se if our vet will have them shortly. He wants to give our 12 yr old a rabies shot in three months because he insists she can't stay overnight for tests without one, and I'm really hesitant in giving her one.[/QUOTE]

What about titre testing her instead? The results required by local officials and your Vet might not be met but the test would show if she has antigens. Some Vets would accept that. My Vet doesn't want to vaccinate my older cat at all and he will still examine her. I have to wonder if your Vet has your cat's best interest at heart or his pocket book but unfortunately law is probably on his side. :(

Why does your cat need tests? I believe most vaccines say they are to be given to healthy animals, might be an argument you could look into.

lindapalm October 24th, 2014 12:10 PM

We had her in for a UTI and ear infections a couple of weeks ago, and after a lot of tests they found out she has Hypertrophic Cardio Myopathy (not sure if that's spelled right) She has to be on heart meds and high blood pressure meds for good, and the vet wants to retest her blood pressure in three months. He says she would have to stay overnight for the test, and would have to have a rabies shot because of the overnight stay,( but yet she stayed for four days last time without a problem)

She hasn't had a rabies shot in 10 years, and I'm having a problem with starting them now. I'm going to question why she has to stay overnight for a blood pressure test, why can't it be done in the office, or I bring her back again the next day, this way she wouldn't need the rabies shot.

Reg October 24th, 2014 10:02 PM

Hi there lindapalm:

After reading your dilemna, I'd have to go along with Longblades thoughts. I can see no good reason for giving a rabies shot to a 12 year old kitty who already seems to have some health issues according to what you have written. It sounds like a "money" scheme to me.
A couple of my last vets wouldn't vaccinate any animal with health issues until they were rectified - in other words a healthy animal. Even several years ago I questioned the Ontario Department of Health official for our area and was told the animals are to be vaccinated, but only "healthy animals". Likewise you wouldn't vaccinate a "sick person".
Since your animal has already spent 3 or 4 days in the hospital without being vaccinated, it's really not making much sense to start now. I think I would be taking it in on the morning of the testing to be done or else have the vet "waive" the vaccination.
Usually the laws are written to protect animals with health issues. Just check it out.
Or find another vet.
Moreover, maybe you should ask the vet if there was a rabies outbreak where you live during this past summer and see what his/her response is to that question, and how many cases there were.

lindapalm October 24th, 2014 10:58 PM

I've discussed with this doctor before that none of my cats ever go outside, and my answer is that a rabid bat could come into my house and a cat could bite it. When they contact me to bring Ruby in for her retest, I'm think I'm going to tell them to test her in one day, or I'll bring her back again the next day also if they need two days for testing. With heart problems she shouldn't be staying overnight in a strange place anyhow. If the vet refuses I think I'm going to say no to the test and just leave her on the meds he put her on.

Reg October 25th, 2014 11:12 AM

Good Morning Lindapalm:

[QUOTE]I've discussed with this doctor before that none of my cats ever go outside, and my answer is that a rabid bat could come into my house and a cat could bite it.[/QUOTE]

Depending on where you are located, there could be a bat population. Where we are, there is not, and it has been years since there was an appreciable population.

Dr. Rod - one of our well thought of vets - when I questioned him about rabies vaccines for our cats - and he, knowing they were all indoor animals, suggested that maybe the vaccinations should be done in this case, to people due to the fact that they are outside and stand a better chance of being bitten by a bat than an indoor cat would. And we've been chuckling about his comment for years.

I think you'd have a better chance of winning a double lottery back to back than having an indoor cat be bitten by a rabid bat.

I think this new vaccine appears as though it might be more user friendly if needed.

lindapalm October 25th, 2014 02:08 PM

Its funny you said that about your vets comment because I've been tempted so many times, when my vet comes up with the bat in the house comment, to say that I should also get a rabies shot because the bat could also bite me, along with the cats. I would have a better chance of being bitten because I would be the one chasing the bat trying to kill it while my cats would sit and watch. That's what they do with mice. I think maybe last year there was a case of a raccoon having rabies about 50 miles away from where we live, I have a 15 year old dog who I hate to have get a shot, but she is outside at times, so I do.

Longblades November 24th, 2014 09:03 AM

I just called Merial Canada and the three year is not available in Canada yet. No idea when it will be. Guess the kittens will get the one year.

Barkingdog November 24th, 2014 01:54 PM

I was trying to see if the 3 years rabies vaccines are safe for cats and I found this forum . Is sound interesting ,' backyardchicken ' .

[url]http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/373142/1-year-vs-3-year-rabies-shot-for-cats[/url]

Reg November 24th, 2014 05:31 PM

Here's a study that was brought to my attention years ago - by my vet at the time - when the study was in its infantcy. He had issues with the method of application of vaccines and especially rabies.
I have attached the web site for your read. I found it quite interesting

[url]http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/education[/url]