Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Off topic forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Hot chocolate lovers (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=66117)

NoahGrey October 9th, 2009 05:48 PM

Hot chocolate lovers

Ok, so I am a big hot chocolate person, expecially of course in our canadian winters:) Trying to find the best is hard *lol* yes, I am a geek.

Timmies, is the best, but as for store bought, PC's dark chocolate. Anyone try White hot chocolate? The best way to make hc is with chocolate milk.

What is your favourite brand of HC?....

ACO22

aslan October 9th, 2009 06:00 PM

for the best white hot chocolate go to second cup, omg......it is soooooo good.

ownedbycats October 9th, 2009 07:04 PM

Store bought? Carnation Rich chocolate (provided you use more mix than the can advises.
Best variation: chocolate sticks with mint inside. break up into pieces and add to chocolate mix, pour hot water over to melt chocolate mint sticks. Instant hot mint chocolate.

dollface October 9th, 2009 11:37 PM

I've had White Hot Chocolate before it's pretty good! Second Cup Hot Chocolate with Whipped Cream and Chocolate Shavings and an Oatmeal Raisin cookie = FTW lol Have also had Candy Cane Hot Chocolate and that was awesome, believe it was from Starbucks? Or maybe Second Cup around Christmas time. And if you go to Demetre's I've had the Frozen Hot Chocolate as well, yum yum yum! Best store bought are the brands with the teeny marshmallows in the mix!

Bailey_ October 10th, 2009 12:22 AM

I'm not picky of the type of hot chocolate, as long as I'm using Mint Baileys to add to a cup! SOOO GOOD. :p

dollface October 10th, 2009 03:51 AM

^ Do you taste much of the alcohol with that?

quincymycat October 10th, 2009 06:08 AM

[QUOTE=aslan;835051]for the best white hot chocolate go to second cup, omg......it is soooooo good.[/QUOTE]

I so agree Aslan. I find Timmy's a bit too sweet, but Second Cup - with all the extras of course - is terrific. Only as a treat though.
At home, I use Timmy's but top off with a lot of milk or 1/2&1/2 to reduce the sweetness.
I also shamefully will put eggnog in my coffee this time of year when it starts showing up in the stores:D

CearaQC October 10th, 2009 07:48 AM

Homemade is best, IMO. It doesn't take any more time than a mix you get at the store.

I LOVE eggnog with a bit of Kahlua mixed in. Kahlua is good with anything coffee/chocolate/ice cream/milk.

aslan October 10th, 2009 07:53 AM

CearaQc i totally agree about homemade being the best and compliments of this thread i ended up having to make a pot. mmmmmm. of course had to add marshmallows....

and second cups white hot chocolate of course must have the whip cream and chocolate shavings, and sprinkles. heaven..

NoahGrey October 10th, 2009 10:40 AM

I had to go to the laundry mat today, and stopped to pick up some hot chocolate. I just got the Cornation Rich chocolate. Got home and just added hot water and is very good. I ususally put chocolate milk, instead of water, but thought that it would get too pricey..so water it will be *lol*

ACO22

quincymycat October 10th, 2009 11:13 AM

[QUOTE=ACO22;835260OTE] I ususally put chocolate milk, instead of water, but thought that it would get too pricey..so water it will be *lol*

ACO22[/QUOTE]

If you like chocolate milk in your hot chocolate, No Frills has the 4 litre bags on sale this week for around $3.85. (at that price it is reasonable to buy commercial choco milk) You will have to like drinking the choco milk on its own as well or a lot of hot chocolate when you buy that much milk though!:D

Bailey_ October 10th, 2009 11:43 AM

[QUOTE=dollface;835227]^ Do you taste much of the alcohol with that?[/QUOTE]

No, not at all. It gives it a very minty taste and is a bit 'liquery', but it's very faint. Of course I would assume this could change depending on how much you use - I generally put in less than half an ounce, just to cover the HC mix at the bottom of my mug. :thumbs up

dollface October 10th, 2009 03:17 PM

^ Awesome! Thanks I think I will try that :)

Speaking of homemade, my bf's mom made homemade last year over the stove and I think that was by far the best I ever had!

quincymycat October 10th, 2009 05:42 PM

Has anyone made hot cocoa by using the dry cocoa powder, sugar and a bit of evaporated milk mixed together into a paste and then topped off with hot milk?
I remember this was the way we had hot cocoa when I was a kid. It really isn't that hard to do, but I don't think I have done it in years! You could probably make a pot of it by just mixing the cocoa, sugar and evap milk together then heating the milk in the pot in the stove.
It was [B]real[B][/B][/B]chocolate flavour!

Bailey_ October 10th, 2009 06:11 PM

[QUOTE=dollface;835312]^ Awesome! Thanks I think I will try that :)

Speaking of homemade, my bf's mom made homemade last year over the stove and I think that was by far the best I ever had![/QUOTE]

Let me know how you like it!! :thumbs up It's one of my faves!

TwinTails October 10th, 2009 06:15 PM

The best I've ever had was a dark chocolate mix from walmart (I don't remember the brand, but it was a huge tin, like a coffee tin, for $3). It lasted me about 6 months (and I drink it every day, lol).

But regardless of what brand I use, I always get the one without marshmallows (too hard for my liking), and I add coffee whitener on top of the mix before adding the water/milk. I mix in a small bit of hot water, to get the dry stuff wet. I add a bit more water, mix well, do that until the cup is full and you have no left over powder floating ;) I'm the designated hot chocolate maker in the family, lol! No one believed the coffee mate stuff was any good in it until I made it for them.

I also use candy canes to stir them for a pepper mint flavor, yum! Or I add a dribble of orange juice to the hot choc (makes it a nice Chocolate Orange flavor ;))

dollface October 11th, 2009 01:50 AM

Will do [B]Bailey[/B] :)

And mmmmmmm chocolate orange!

Bailey_ October 11th, 2009 12:50 PM

I second the chocolate orange! Sounds delish! I'd never thought to do that before....will test out tonight! :thumbs up

BlueBreeze October 11th, 2009 11:32 PM

By far, my fave is Ghiradelli...addicted to the stuff :)

budgrrl November 8th, 2009 09:06 PM

my fave is starbucks - love it!
but i generally buy dark chocolate carnation for home and mix a lil mint baileys or peppermint schnapps in it! yummmm! sure warms you up on a cold day :)

TwinTails November 8th, 2009 09:11 PM

[QUOTE=budgrrl;846666]my fave is starbucks - love it!
but i generally buy dark chocolate carnation for home and mix a lil mint baileys or peppermint schnapps in it! yummmm! sure warms you up on a cold day :)[/QUOTE]

Mmm, sounds good ;)

Luvmypitgirls November 9th, 2009 12:57 AM

Ohhhhhhhh hot chocolate...yummmm:cloud9:
I don't have a favorite brand, as long as it's made with milk and it's rich and creamy with a bunch of whipped cream on top I'm happy.:D

Marcha November 9th, 2009 01:47 AM

Droste cocoa powder. Heat milk on stove. When milk is warm, add a few spoons of milk to the powder in the cup. Stir until you have a smooth paste. Add hot frothy milk when it is at your preferred temperature. Stir. Add sugar to taste. Top with (lots of) whipped cream. Dust with cocoa powder and cinnamon. Eat whipped cream first. Add more whipped cream, stir into hot chocolate. Sit down in an area where nobody can find you, or where nobody needs you. Enjoy. :D

MommaKat November 9th, 2009 12:06 PM

This is by far my favorite thread of all time :D What great suggestions. Sadly we do not have a Second cup around here and I would love to try White hot chocolate. Chocolate orange sounds awesome btw I'm for sure going to have to try that.

Edit: Oops I was wrong there is a Second cup in Fredericton, I will have to go and try it !