Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Can dogs get sick from cat food? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=28405)

gholy July 4th, 2006 09:08 AM

Can dogs get sick from cat food?

We just brought home a new kitten last week. I'm having a difficult time keeping my lab out of the cat food. Last night my dog started with diarrhea and eventually threw up as well. Can all of this be caused by the cat food?

PetFriendly July 4th, 2006 09:27 AM

Did the dog throw up what looked like cat food?

The answer to your question is yes, the cat food can make the dog sick. Its higher in protein (I think, corret me if I'm wrong on this one) which can cause tummy trouble in dogs, sort of like if you change their food all of a sudden instead of over the course of a few days/weeks.

There is a chance though that somethign else might be making the dog sick so you'll wan to think about visiting the vet. Keep the cat food up where the dog can't reach it to eliminate that and see how the dog does over the next day. Not sure where you are, but its hot and humid here, which would be cause for concern if my dog had the runs and couldn't keep food down.

gholy July 4th, 2006 09:38 AM

Sick from cat food

She has kept some chicken and rice down for a couple of hours. She now goes out to use the restroom like she feels she has to go, but she isn't. I'm wondering if her entire digestive system is messed up from the cat food. It's hot and humid here as well. My vet is closed today, but I'm watching her to see if I need to take her to a 24 hour vet an hour away. Thanks for your advice.

Brat July 4th, 2006 10:35 AM

My dog adores the cat food and the cats LOVE the dog food.. it's quite odd and a real pain to keep all of them from eating the others food.

I keep the cat food out of dog reach and well the dog food, I shoo them away when I catch them. hehe

My dog never got sick on cat food though but I guess it could happen.

LibbyP July 4th, 2006 11:22 AM

Yes I have the same troubles as Brat, now we keep the cat food in the laundry room with a door latch across so the dogs cannot get at it, friends of mine cut a tiny hole in the bottom of the bathroom door so that cats can get in but not the dogs, :sorry: I cannot remember if cat food was bad for dogs or dog food bad for cats:confused: Hope your dog is feeling better, is she lethargic? Eating/drinking, normal temp? I'd maybe wait awhile and then if you are really worried about her, call the VEC and see what they say, sometimes they'll give you advice over the phone if you tell them everything that is going on and what you have already done, keep us posted:fingerscr (I'd) go easy on the rice, this can have the affect you want but - go to the other extreme, hold back on everything for awhile and then start again gradually but keep her hydrated, does she like ice cubes?

Prin July 4th, 2006 11:27 AM

Maybe your lab is allergic/intolerant to some ingredient in the cat food? Or maybe the fat content of the cat food is too high? Either way, if this persists, the doggy will need to see a vet.

Shamrock July 4th, 2006 01:49 PM

It might be a combination of the two factors- heat/humidity and the ingestion of the different ingredients in the cat foods that has made your dog sick.
It's very common for dogs to be attracted to protein-rich cat food, and as cat kibble is generally kept out and available for grazing, keeping it up off the floor, as mentioned, is an effective and easy way to solve the doggie sampling.

In the reverse.. a little more tricky..:)
My pets all love each other's foods too. Have to watch the cat's dont show up to eat Percy's dinner, and remove any uneaten amount or they will polish it off.
Too much of the others food would create health issues over time, as we're all aware of.

I've not heard of illness resulting from just a short-term ingestion, but certainly some animals may not have the tolerance for the sudden change, or it could be an allergy, as mentioned.

Hope your guy is feeling better soon.:fingerscr

gholy July 4th, 2006 04:56 PM

Thanks for all the advice.

She's doing much better. I've given her small amounts of chicken and rice every few hours. She's keeping it down and drinking now. Her stools have switched from watery to a thick mucous and they have slowed down in size and frequency (sorry to be so graphic). I'm going to watch her through the night and call the vet in the morning just to be safe. The kitten is extremely small (the runt) so she's still on a mother's milk substitute. Sadie got into this yesterday, so perhaps this has something to do with it. I'm just going to have to be extremely careful.

bid July 5th, 2006 06:46 AM

I feed my six cats their wet food in three different rooms, as some of them are 'piglets' and will gulp theirs down and then have a go at the others'. I feed the dog while the cats are eating and then busy him with a biscuit and a 'chewy' so his mind is off the cats' food. I keep the dry catfood and their water dishes up on an end counter where, try as he might, Murphy can't get at them....they hate having Bassett Hound 'goobers' in their water dishes!