Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Regarding winter/cats & cars (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=58742)

NoahGrey December 2nd, 2008 01:43 PM

Regarding winter/cats & cars

Hey guys,

Since winter is fast approaching, (i know it seems like winter, but it's not offically winter till Dec 21) anyhoo, it is however extremely cold outside.

Just wanted to remind everyone, that before going out to your car in the morning PLEASE either pound on the hood or honk your horn a few times and in both times wait a few seconds before starting your cars.

Car engines are the perfect warm toasty spot for a cat that is outdoors in the winter and looking to keep warm.

I have already had one case, of a cat that was in a car engine and the car was turned on. Half of the cats face was pretty much gone. It was humanely put down. Poor guy also. It ended up binging his girlfriends cat. He was at the vets and was calling her.

So PLEASE think before you start your car in the morning.

Maybe Marko, can make this a sticky?

ACO22

BenMax December 2nd, 2008 01:45 PM

Thank you ACO22 for this very important alert. Indeed many cats are seriously maimed or killed in this fashion.

This is an excellent reminder to all.

AmericanBullMom December 2nd, 2008 01:46 PM

Great thread ACO.
I have SEEN what happens to kitties that get in cars...:sad: gives me nightmares

For anyone else, please keep YOUR kitties inside! They are much happier in a warm lap, than in a car hood!

aslan December 2nd, 2008 01:46 PM

great advice ACO22:thumbs up

rainbow December 2nd, 2008 01:47 PM

Excellent advice. :thumbs up

Even if you don't have a cat yourself there are unfortuneately lots of strays out there. :sad:

Love4himies December 2nd, 2008 02:22 PM

Excellent advice, many years ago I lost a cat who got into a neighbour's car motor.

Mat&Murph December 2nd, 2008 02:29 PM

Awsome advice!! Nice to be reminded once in awhile!! My truck amkes alot of noise but I will honk the horn just in case

phoozles December 2nd, 2008 02:45 PM

One of my mom's exboyfriend's kitties lost his hind leg due to sleeping by a fan belt - he came home and it was hanging on by a tendon :sad:

Longblades December 2nd, 2008 02:49 PM

Since this thread is already started I just have to tell you my cat's story. Don't worry it's a 9 lives story.

My Mum started the car and black fur shot out through the cracks between the hood and the car. We found Twitchie huddled under our oil tank, around the side of the house. There was no blood in the snow. I thought, if she has internal injuries and I drag her out I might make them worse. On the other hand I can't leave her there.

Out she came and was examined thoroughly. One hind leg had fur missing in a strip from toe to stifle but the leg worked properly and there was no other sign of damage. Today I would haved rushed her to the VEt for a checkup but back then people didn't do such things, I was a child, and she was FINE. No lasting effects at all. A miracle, she truly did use up one of her 9 lives.

The car was not fine. Mum couldn't steer. The cat's leg had knocked the power steering belt right off. Have you ever tried to put a power steering belt on a car? It is HARD. A big burly mechanic had to use a lever to get it back on. Yet the cat's leg, which took the belt off, was only missing some hair. WHEW.

Hope I haven't hijacked.

I would not count on the above good luck story ever happening again and we pound on our cars regularly now.

BenMax December 2nd, 2008 02:52 PM

[QUOTE=Longblades;705140]Since this thread is already started I just have to tell you my cat's story. Don't worry it's a 9 lives story.

My Mum started the car and black fur shot out through the cracks between the hood and the car. We found Twitchie huddled under our oil tank, around the side of the house. There was no blood in the snow. I thought, if she has internal injuries and I drag her out I might make them worse. On the other hand I can't leave her there.

Out she came and was examined thoroughly. One hind leg had fur missing in a strip from toe to stifle but the leg worked properly and there was no other sign of damage. Today I would haved rushed her to the VEt for a checkup but back then people didn't do such things, I was a child, and she was FINE. No lasting effects at all. A miracle, she truly did use up one of her 9 lives.

The car was not fine. Mum couldn't steer. The cat's leg had knocked the power steering belt right off. Have you ever tried to put a power steering belt on a car? It is HARD. A big burly mechanic had to use a lever to get it back on. Yet the cat's leg, which took the belt off, was only missing some hair. WHEW.

Hope I haven't hijacked.

I would not count on the above good luck story ever happening again and we pound on our cars regularly now.[/QUOTE]

It's all relevant as it shows all that this does happen and it can happen to anyone.

Diamondsmum December 2nd, 2008 03:21 PM

I will add our story to this..

A friend of the family was visiting my sis when she lived in thunder bay.

he discovered a kitten in his engine 4hours into the drive (this happened in January)

Not sure where kitty was but he had stopped for a Timmys & heard mew mew ... Luckily

"Lucky" spent the rest of the trip in the cab, snuggled up in the passanger seat. & found a forever home with them.

BenMax December 2nd, 2008 03:28 PM

[QUOTE=Diamondsmum;705154]I will add our story to this..

A friend of the family was visiting my sis when she lived in thunder bay.

he discovered a kitten in his engine 4hours into the drive (this happened in January)

Not sure where kitty was but he had stopped for a Timmys & heard mew mew ... Luckily

"Lucky" spent the rest of the trip in the cab, snuggled up in the passanger seat. & found a forever home with them.[/QUOTE]

So in other words this kitty had 9 lives and then one other one to add to that! A good ending to what could have been tragic.

More evidence on why we should follow ACO22 warning.

marko December 2nd, 2008 03:47 PM

Sure - I'll stick this thread.

Note to all members though - it's more than my pleasure to help with anything.
Please PM me though as the majority of the time I will NOT see a request posted in the many hundreds of posts each day. I ALWAYS see Pms.

Thx
Marko

Winston December 2nd, 2008 04:09 PM

ACO22 awesome suggestion! I never really thought about banging on the hood though! Now I am a little worried for this tiny little kitten across the street?? he spends alot of time on my front window and porch looking for my kitties??? Ill be making sure to remind DH of the same since he takes the car most times!

marko December 2nd, 2008 04:37 PM

Someone asked me to make this a sticky in THIS post - so I'm posting that all requests should be sent to me by private message (PM) and it's more than my pleasure.

I realize it was off topic....Thanks - Marko
Don't want to hijack though...so back to the topic.. :)

babymomma December 2nd, 2008 04:53 PM

OMG, i did not know that this happens!:eek: Im accually in shock right now.. I will definatly make sure mom/dad bang in the hood before starting the car!

chico2 December 2nd, 2008 05:11 PM

I also have a cat under the hood story,but it was my own cat.
He was a beautiful Maine Coon,got out one day,the kids were not careful.
The next day I saw Humane Society truck up the street in a drive-way and the officer took this lifeless little body out of the engine.
Luckily the man noticed something was wrong as soon as he started the engine.
He was taken to the vet by HS,he was still alive.
That's how I met a most wonderful vet,we had no money and I begged and pleaded with this vet to please help Tigger.
Tigger lost an eye,part of his ear and had about 30 stitches on his side,but he lived and this wonderful man charged me only $50,he said,because I loved my cat so much.
A couple of years later this same man,died of cancer,I'll never ever forget him.
Tigger only lived to be 3 yrs old,but that's totally unrelated and another story.
I always knock on the hood,often even open the hood to be sure,as does my husband.
Great Post ACO!

14+kitties December 2nd, 2008 11:20 PM

Beeping the horn just once works as well. That's what I do.
Ms. Purrfect got her bum ear by being on hubby's truck engine. He didn't know it till too late. She came out from under our deck an hour later bloody and missing part of her ear. Limping as well. She is back to normal but she is one of the reasons the "catuary" came into being.
Thanks for starting this thread and for making it a sticky. :thumbs up

Nagini April 2nd, 2009 01:58 AM

Oh that is awful. I have never thought about that. I lived in Finland (where my parents still live) and winters get quite cold ( close -20īC sometimes more), therefor everybody also has a car.

This is something I will tell around for people! Maybe saves couple cats (or legs...).

heart433 August 18th, 2009 08:41 PM

Oh m god that's terrifying about the car. Makes me glad to keep my kitties inside all year round, keeps 'em safe.

dollface October 27th, 2009 04:48 PM

I had no idea this happens! :eek: My car has an alarm so in order for me to get in the car it goes off to unlock the door, I hope this has been enuf warning in the past, if necessary. Right now we park underground and have only seen one cat wander in. When we move to a house I will keep this in mind!

Koteburo September 17th, 2010 04:11 AM

Yes please!
What a good reminder. OMG that story made me so so sad :(
When I was in elementary school that happened to my dad and a kitty in his car. I was so sad they didn't tell me until later. Every since they always honk and also look from behind.
But don't let this happen for you to know about it. Please follow the advice in this thread to prevent this horrible and sad thing to happen.

sandyrivers February 19th, 2012 09:11 PM

remote car starters

a friend of mine has a remote car starter he uses in winter to warm up his car before leaving...
I will share this info with him...

sandyrivers

Ani-Mei December 7th, 2014 12:13 PM

That's scary, we've lived in a house and never knew to check the car's engines in the morning. It was a quiet neighbourhood and there were a few outdoor cats around. Where we are now, the complex is on a busy main road and I don't see any dogs or cats outside since it's too dangerous with the road right there. All our cats are indoor cats, it keeps them safer. We have coyotes who wander around this city occasionally so that's another reason to keep them inside.

Barkingdog December 7th, 2014 05:05 PM

Thank you for posting this again , I had seen a cat around my condo and I am not sure if it lost or what . I will have to be sure check my car before starting it up.

[url]http://www.snopes.com/critters/mishaps/catscars.asp[/url]

Longblades , I m going to tell my daughter that about the remote , maybe her car does the same

Longblades December 7th, 2014 05:18 PM

I have a new car with remote start on it. I've never had remote start before. Apparently I can program it to sound the horn twice before starting up.