Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dog eating grass. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=65317)

Akira August 31st, 2009 05:43 PM

Dog eating grass.

My dog Akira is a hound/lab, and lately she has been eating a lot of grass. I know dogs eat it occasionaly and that it's not unhealty for them, but she goes nuts for it when were out on walks and eats a lot of it when shes in the backyard. Anyone have any idea's why she might be doing this? She's on a good dog food and gets human food too, so I don't see why there would be any nutrients missing from her diet.

Anyone elses dog ever do this?

Gail P August 31st, 2009 08:36 PM

Some of mine like to eat grass regularly. Flash in particular, he grazes like a sheep. Nom, nom, nom...you should see his head bobbing as he pulls the grass out, just like any grazing animal will do. He does this almost every day when we're out doing chores. Not as much grass eating in the back yard (though part of the yard is bare dirt now from all the wear and tear of dogs running around. Out in the fields he seems to go for the thick patches of clover and eats the tips off any grass poking up through. Even when he was a puppy he liked green things. Then he used to dig up plaintain in the back yard and eat the roots. Mine all go nuts for fresh veggies from the garden too.

Chaser August 31st, 2009 08:57 PM

Both Kailey and Chase graze like cows...or sheep....either way they belong on a farm!

No worries :)

Akira September 1st, 2009 05:09 PM

Well thats good, it's funny you say how they graze like cows or sheep cause that's exactly what she reminded me of. :laughing:

As long as it doesn't make her sick, she can eat it all she wants. :rolleyes:

Thanks for reassuring me!

im_nomad September 12th, 2009 07:18 PM

Molly also regularly mows the lawn, :laughing: Not only the grass ( as i'm not one of those pristine lawn types )...but seems to go for the small shoots and the dandelion greens. I just watch her ripping the shoots away, and chewing to her hearts content, all over the yard, selectively. It is very rare that she gets sick from it.

I think she's part goat or something. :laughing:

Why do we all spend so much money on food exactly ? ;)

Bailey_ September 12th, 2009 07:53 PM

Yep, both my dogs also occasionally graze. I've been told that the grass actually has a similiar taste to lamb, which some dogs find familiar to the foods that we already feed them. I wouldn't know, as my dogs certainly don't clarify this for me. :laughing:

The only thing I want to precaution is to ensure that your grass-loving pup doesn't eat on lawns that you don't personally own. The city, and often many people without kids or pets, will fertilize and use chemicals which CAN make your puppy sick.