Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Breed characteristics and traits (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Can you trace a tatoo back to the breeder? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=34146)

erykah1310 December 15th, 2006 11:26 PM

Can you trace a tatoo back to the breeder?

Charlie has a tatoo in his ear, 4 numbers. ( that i can see) He didnt come with any papers. SO I was just wondering if there is anyway to trace a tatoo back to the breeder?:shrug: And if so, how.
Thanks

wdawson December 15th, 2006 11:41 PM

try contacting the kennal clubs...........they may keep records

Frenchy December 16th, 2006 09:32 AM

I pm you the number where to call

erykah1310 December 16th, 2006 12:36 PM

Thanks.:thumbs up

OntarioGreys December 18th, 2006 09:41 PM

It might be a breeder tattoo , CKC may know who , as it is not likely a CKC tattoo since they have 5 digits in theirs which is a combo of letters and numbers, also talk to a vet they may have an idea if it is a lost dog dog registration tattoo

[QUOTE]Canadian Kennel Club (CKC)
PH # 1-416-675-5511.
Dogs bred in Canada and registered with the Canadian Kennel Club are generally tattooed in 1 ear or the flank. The tattoo is made up of three parts, the most significant part is the initial, three character letter-number sequence. This identifies the breeder. An example of a CKC number: 7MR 1 C.

[/QUOTE]

Here is a list of some tattoos

[URL="http://www.lostdogsearch.com/links.htm"]http://www.lostdogsearch.com/links.htm[/URL]

erykah1310 December 19th, 2006 04:28 PM

Charlies tattoo was 4 digits in his ear. well the first 2 were definate numbers but the third was more of a block??? and the fourth was a number again.
:shrug:

Bullykai January 28th, 2007 09:31 PM

A tattoo # is usually done by a breeder. The will keep a record of the number and it is also registered with the ckc.

MIA February 1st, 2007 02:58 PM

It's been my experience that breeders tattoo on the inside flank not in the ear, vet clinics tattoo in the ear?!

CinnaAngie February 11th, 2007 01:57 AM

I was told by my vet that they no longer tattoo, but rather only do microchipping for identification purposes... if he's a younger dog and things are the same in ontario, then it might not have been done by a vet. (funny thing, my vet clinic is right next to a tattoo parlor and when I asked about tattooing they told me that tattoos were no longer the standard for identification, but that they could always get the guys from next door to come in and do it while she was being spayed... but it wouldn't be in a database or anything. it would just be my phone number or something). I think some of the reasons why they no longer tattoo is because horrid people who steal pets sometimes remove tattoos by cutting them out...

I would call the local government and the people who manage the pet licensing stuff. they usually have an idea of who does tattooing in an area.

trescanis February 23rd, 2007 06:12 AM

Mia, just an FYI, most breeders still do ear tatty's. At least here in B.C. they do. Perhaps the ones you know do not, but the majority are still doing the ear.

Also, there are some ( very few ) breed specific tattoo sites that show you the breeders number and letter. Any SPCA as well has a record of tattoo's. And even if they did not personally tattoo can give you the name of the Vet clinic who has from the letters and digits.

If the tattoo is hard to read, hold a flashlight behind the ear in a darkened room. It should then be legible.

And the whole thing about dog thieves cutting off the ear to avoid the tattoo being there is a bit of an urban legend. Can you imagine a dog thief stealing dogs, cutting off the ear and then trying to re-sell? Or if someone steals a dog because they think they would love and tend to it better, is not likely to take it to a Vet to have it altered. Questions from the Vet would abound.

Just my opinion of course. :)

shirley1011 February 25th, 2007 02:31 PM

My Sable is missing and I found out that tattoo's are hard to locate.
The shelter where we got him from actually did the tattoo and shelter
markings are a heart and the postal code 1st three letters. I tried to
find out if there was a central registry but there isn't. CKC used to use
them and each breeder would subit the # with their applicatoin for
registration but now they only accept microchip#'s.
The sad thing I found out is that vets are not compelled to scan a new
patient for microchip. Unless your pet is found by the SPCA or pound or
a concerned animal lover who takes them to the vet for scanning your
pet could be gone forever. The microchip company is notified by you when
you have your pet missing but this list is not sent to vet's offices.
This is a real loop hole in the identification of lost and stolen pets that
needs to be addressed.