Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Parvo :( (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=83625)

Silverwind March 16th, 2013 07:06 PM

Parvo :(

My foster dog, Yogi, is at the vet, and we just got confirmation that he tested positive for parvo. We are waiting for more information on how he is doing now that he has the IV and everything. Sadly, the nearest vet available is over 3 hours away, so we can't be there with him.
My older dog had diarrhea for a few days, but now seems just fine, she never lost her appetite and was never sick sick, like Yogi is. I guess I'm wondering, what should I do with her? Does she need to see the vet? A bath? If Yogi recovers and comes home, is he at risk of catching it again from my older dog because she has not been treated, even though she seems fine?

Barkingdog March 16th, 2013 07:42 PM

[url]http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/parvovirus-in-dogs[/url]

This web site said it's a highly contagious disease , You needs to talk to your vet about what you need to do right away.

MaxaLisa March 16th, 2013 10:41 PM

How old is your foster, and what kind of health?

Older dogs, particularly older vaccinated dogs, should not experience the same severity of illness as a young dog. In fact, if the dog is vaccinated, I would expect to see just what you saw, some slight symptoms and then the body responded by upping antibodies. I would expect that if you titered your older dog to check parvo antibodies, they would be pretty high. The exceptions to this in older dogs is if the dog has a problem with their immune system, or if the strain of parvo is particularly virulent or not covered by the dog's vaccination.

Once a dog has had parvo, they do not need to be vaccinated for it, and they cannot catch that strain again, it is a viral disease.

I really hope that your foster makes it, so devastating, fingers crossed!

Silverwind March 16th, 2013 11:18 PM

Thanks for your replies
Maxalisa, Yogi is less than 2 years, but he seemed very healthy when we brought him home, if a bit thin. I hope he makes it too! We are already very attached to him, and my daughter is devastated at the thought that we might lose him :(

MaxaLisa March 17th, 2013 01:20 AM

Being older, he stands a better chance. Do keep us posted :fingerscr

Dog Dancer March 17th, 2013 09:59 AM

Good luck to you with the both of them. I agree I would ask the vet what type of cleaning and precautions you should take.

Silverwind March 22nd, 2013 11:01 AM

Thanks everyone, I have an update for you- Yogi is all better and got home last night!:cloud9: He is very happy to be home, and his normal, sweet energetic self again :) They gave him a bath before they brought him so he is all fresh and appealing. The kids are over the moon! The only downside-Yogi is under quarantine, so it kind of kills our spring break weekend trip plans. He's going to be bored too, since he can't leave the yard. We are lucky we have a pretty big fenced back yard, so at least he can burn off some steam.

hazelrunpack March 22nd, 2013 01:03 PM

Oh, what a great update! And what a relief! :grouphug: A little boredom is a small price to pay for a healthy dog! :D

How long will he be in quarantine?

Silverwind March 22nd, 2013 02:10 PM

I don't know...I haven't had a chance to talk to the lady from the humane society. I will be calling her at 1 for more information

MaxaLisa March 23rd, 2013 06:09 PM

This is Outstanding news! I am so happy to hear this :)

From what I understand, parvo reeks(sp?) Havoc with the intestinal tract? Some probiotics mght be supportive?

Dog Dancer March 24th, 2013 01:35 PM

Glad to hear Yogi's pulled through this. Boredom is okay like Hazel said, small price to pay. :thumbs up