Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Recipes for humans (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Need Juice Recipes (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=29788)

rainbow August 19th, 2006 12:15 PM

Need Juice Recipes

I just bought a juicer at the thrift store. We always have excess peaches, pears and apples from our fruit trees and I'm looking for some recipes. Anybody got some?

Puppyluv August 19th, 2006 01:15 PM

Ok, so this does not include pears or peaches... but oh well.
I can't stand that bottled pomegranate juice, but I love pomegranates, and this tastes just like the fruit (I usually use 1/2 the sugar though, or none at all):

Pomegranate Punch

Makes 2 quarts

5 pomegranates

3/4 cup sugar

1 bunch fresh mint, trimmed and rinsed

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

1. Cut pomegranates in half, and extract juice from seeds with a juicer or reamer. Strain through a fine sieve into a large bowl, discarding pulp. You should have about 3 1/3 cups juice.

2. In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups water and sugar to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and stir until sugar dissolves. Add pomegranate juice, mint, and lemon juice. Cover; let steep 30 minutes. Remove and discard mint; let cool completely. Transfer to an airtight container; chill until ready to serve, up to 2 days.

Puppyluv August 19th, 2006 01:18 PM

I use this site a lot for juices: [URL="http://www.healthrecipes.com/fruit_juice_recipes.htm"]Juice[/URL]

rainbow August 20th, 2006 09:43 PM

Thanks for the site, puppyluv....I bookmarked it. :thumbs up

BTW, can you explain to me how to direct someone to a site without posting the URL, like how you did by just typing "juice"? :o

technodoll August 20th, 2006 10:01 PM

a great simple tasty one:

a bunch of green seedless grapes
a handful of cranberries
a snippet of fresh ginger

soooooo goooood! :cloud9:

Prin August 20th, 2006 10:36 PM

[QUOTE=rainbow]BTW, can you explain to me how to direct someone to a site without posting the URL, like how you did by just typing "juice"? :o[/QUOTE]You just have to hit the little "earth with a paper clip" icon and then paste the url in the box and then press ok. Then when you're back on the reply screen the url will be written twice and one will be highlighted. You just overwrite the highlighted one with whatever words you want to describe the link.:)

rainbow August 20th, 2006 11:14 PM

[QUOTE=technodoll]a great simple tasty one:

a handful of cranberries

soooooo goooood! :cloud9:[/QUOTE]

TD, that sounds good, but I really need recipes that involve using peaches, pear and apples as that's what I have a kazillion of. :D

rainbow August 20th, 2006 11:20 PM

[QUOTE=Prin]You just have to hit the little "earth with a paper clip" icon and then paste the url in the box and then press ok. Then when you're back on the reply screen the url will be written twice and one will be highlighted. You just overwrite the highlighted one with whatever words you want to describe the link.:)[/QUOTE]

Ummm, where's the "earth with a paper clip icon"? :o

Prin August 20th, 2006 11:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just below the white smilie guy in the little tool thingy right above where you are replying. (I'm so technical, eh?)

This thingy:

rainbow August 21st, 2006 12:13 AM

Okey dokey....testing:

[URL="http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=44&code=670"]stop eating poop[/URL]

rainbow August 21st, 2006 12:15 AM

Wahoo :highfive: Thanks, Prin. :thumbs up

I just noticed, I wonder why they don't sell this stuff in TX and IA (Texas and Iowa?) :confused:

MyBirdIsEvil August 21st, 2006 01:51 AM

Just start experimenting and mixing all kindsa stuff, that's what I do.

My favorites involve mixing fruits with veggies.

Apple/celery and apple/carrot are really good.

If you make anything with peaches I'd combine it with another fruit that isn't as sweet. Pure fresh peach juice is EXTREMELY and overpoweringly sweet, so unless you like that, use less peach juice with more mellow fruit. I'd think a peach and papaya mix would be pretty good. Grapes mixed with peaches and other fruits might work well because most varieties grapes are tart enough to kind of tone down some of the sweetness.

Pears are good mixed with just about anything.

Carrots are a good veggie to add to just about any juice you make because carrot juice is so sweet. Celery adds a bite to anything.

Tomatoes work well in lots of mixes, but don't juice very good in a conventional electric juicer.
What kind of juicer did you get? Oranges and any citrus-like fruit doesn't juice very well in a normal electric juicer either, but I always just use a citrus juicer and then add the juices together. Btw, peach juice will come out VERY pulpy in this type of juicer, you may have to strain the juice before juicing anything else into it.

bleubelle November 25th, 2012 01:20 PM

juicing for your dog

[QUOTE=technodoll;274028]a great simple tasty one:

a handful of cranberries

soooooo goooood! :cloud9:[/QUOTE]
:rip::rip:

I am disheartened by the posts here suggesting people feed their pets grapes. As little as 6 grapes can be FATAL to dogs, and if they don't die right away, they will suffer a long painful death due to RENAL FAILURE!!! Just google it, I can't believe you've allowed postings including grapes in recipes for dogs here!!!! Google: "grapes toxic to dogs"!!!:rip:

marko November 25th, 2012 01:31 PM

bleubelle - the post you responded to is over 6 years old!

Knowledge on these matters changes.

I 100% agree with you that grapes are now known toxins to cats and dogs....
but at the time of the post 6 years ago, it was not as well known.

hazelrunpack November 25th, 2012 03:35 PM

I think these recipes were meant for people, not dogs, too. :thumbs up

marko November 26th, 2012 09:37 AM

OMG - my bad - lol - great catch hazel!
(Lousy paying attention admin :D )

patchdog November 27th, 2012 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=Puppyluv;273307]Ok, so this does not include pears or peaches... but oh well.
I can't stand that bottled pomegranate juice, but I love pomegranates, and this tastes just like the fruit (I usually use 1/2 the sugar though, or none at all):

Pomegranate Punch

Makes 2 quarts

5 pomegranates

3/4 cup sugar

1 bunch fresh mint, trimmed and rinsed

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

1. Cut pomegranates in half, and extract juice from seeds with a juicer or reamer. Strain through a fine sieve into a large bowl, discarding pulp. You should have about 3 1/3 cups juice.

2. In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups water and sugar to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and stir until sugar dissolves. Add pomegranate juice, mint, and lemon juice. Cover; let steep 30 minutes. Remove and discard mint; let cool completely. Transfer to an airtight container; chill until ready to serve, up to 2 days.[/QUOTE]

THis sounds very interesting. Does it have a minty taste to it? I am not so sure I would like that with pemegranates.

ActiveMom July 2nd, 2016 07:02 AM

I also have excess apples that are not being eaten. Anyway, Ty for the recommended recipe. :)