Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Off topic forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Open for suggestions.... (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76506)

Dee-O-Gee April 16th, 2011 03:23 PM

Open for suggestions....

3 Attachment(s)
I really want to refinish this window trim but am at a loss in protecting and preventing it from happening again.

[ATTACH]73371[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]73372[/ATTACH]

I was thinking of sanding back down, re-staining then adding coats (7 or 8) of varathane. After that, I was going to buy a piece of plexi-glass and tapping the plex-glass into place with a couple small screws. My fear is that the trim wouldn't be able to breath underneath the plexi-glass and all the refinishing would melt to the glass. :shrug:

Oh and how did this trim get into such a dire need of repair......

[ATTACH]73373[/ATTACH]

Would welcome any suggestions! :thumbs up

Bina April 16th, 2011 03:38 PM

My father's house has gorgeous cedar window frames and his GSD did indeed scratch the crap out of them. His final solution was a row of ceramic tiles. They look great, are washable and durable.

cell April 16th, 2011 03:46 PM

What about epoxy like for fiberglassing, you can put it on real thick and it is super durable, but I don't know if it will resist scratch dents. I got some at a boat supply store once, not too expensive and if you get the right kind it doesn't stink.

Dee-O-Gee April 16th, 2011 03:56 PM

We want to keep the wood finish but not like this.

I thought with the clear plexi-glass overtop, we'd still be able to see the natural wood finish while protecting the sill too.

Maybe I should check out Home Depot to see if they have some kind of shellac-ee thingy minus a high gloss look, that puts a hard protective coating over the finish? :shrug:

Bina April 16th, 2011 03:59 PM

Right, it needs to resist humidity, cracking, sunshine, and dog claws. ;)

Winston April 16th, 2011 04:08 PM

KLM if your handy you could build up a border around the front of the ledge and then place herb pots in there . I used melamine on my kitchen cupboards and it is very durable but I am not sure it would hold up to doggy paws.:D Perfect spot for a little garden too! right in the window...

Just my crazy idea....:D

Chris21711 April 16th, 2011 04:32 PM

KLM, once you have sanded it down and re-stained it....a couple of coats of Marine Varnish will protect it pretty good..

Tundra_Queen April 16th, 2011 04:34 PM

[QUOTE=klmccallum;1004192]I really want to refinish this window trim but am at a loss in protecting and preventing it from happening again.

[ATTACH]73371[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]73372[/ATTACH]

I was thinking of sanding back down, re-staining then adding coats (7 or 8) of varathane. After that, I was going to buy a piece of plexi-glass and tapping the plex-glass into place with a couple small screws. My fear is that the trim wouldn't be able to breath underneath the plexi-glass and all the refinishing would melt to the glass. :shrug:

Oh and how did this trim get into such a dire need of repair......

[ATTACH]73373[/ATTACH]

Would welcome any suggestions! :thumbs up[/QUOTE]

I would put a chair in front of window so the cute pup would be able to sit facing the window and wouldn't need to put her paws up. Or even a ottman would probably do. High enough where she could sit and still see out the window

Tundra_Queen April 16th, 2011 04:38 PM

[QUOTE=klmccallum;1004202]We want to keep the wood finish but not like this.

I thought with the clear plexi-glass overtop, we'd still be able to see the natural wood finish while protecting the sill too.

Maybe I should check out Home Depot to see if they have some kind of shellac-ee thingy minus a high gloss look, that puts a hard protective coating over the finish? :shrug:[/QUOTE]

I was going to ask if they made a clear coat in Marine paint,,,but Chris beat me to it.

Dee-O-Gee April 16th, 2011 04:38 PM

That's a great ideal Winston but the window is in diningroom and the ledge is only a couple feet off the ground. It also acts as our main window to the south facing front. It gets so hot on the southside during the summer, I could cook and egg in that window! :D

I just finished sanding it down...wholly smokes!!! I've forgotten how much of a mess sanding makes! :yell:

Melinda April 16th, 2011 05:29 PM

what if when you use plexiglass (which really scratches easily) you put felt pads under it to allow your sill to breathe? but marine varathane would work great, very strong so make sure you can open windows when you use it, thats what we used on our bedroom plank flooring to protect it from dogs...9 yrs later and not a scratch on it that shows

hazelrunpack April 16th, 2011 05:38 PM

Our window sills are starting to show a little wear and tear, too! :D The dogs sit up on the loveseat, put their feet on the sill and look out the window. Is there a difference between marine varnish (like a spar varnish) and marine varathane?

[QUOTE=Bina;1004195]My father's house has gorgeous cedar window frames and his GSD did indeed scratch the crap out of them. His final solution was a row of ceramic tiles. They look great, are washable and durable.[/QUOTE]

I'd never thought of ceramic tiles! Sounds beautiful! Did he have to seal them with anything?

Dee-O-Gee April 16th, 2011 08:03 PM

[QUOTE=Chris21711;1004208]KLM, once you have sanded it down and re-stained it....a couple of coats of Marine Varnish will protect it pretty good..[/QUOTE]

I used Helmsman Spar Urethane years ago on our front door and it's held up quite well but is that the same as Marine Varnish? :shrug:

Dee-O-Gee April 16th, 2011 08:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the sanded part. You can see big gouges but I didn't want to sand it down to much. Not sure if it would make it look too uneven so I just surface sanded with 60 then a 220 grit.

[ATTACH]73378[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]73379[/ATTACH]

Dee-O-Gee April 16th, 2011 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Tundra_Queen;1004209]I would put a chair in front of window so the cute pup would be able to sit facing the window and wouldn't need to put her paws up. Or even a ottman would probably do. High enough where she could sit and still see out the window[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][I]:thumbs up Problem solved! :thumbs up :D :D[/I][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[ATTACH]73380[/ATTACH]

hazelrunpack April 16th, 2011 08:31 PM

:laughing: Looks good!! :D

Dee-O-Gee April 16th, 2011 08:39 PM

I thought that was funny. :D

We had a dinner party to go to and didn't want to leave the nicely sanded job exposed to Gryphon and Mollie's watch dog, looking curiously out the window so, I did a quick fix. :lightbulb:

hazelrunpack April 16th, 2011 08:47 PM

Bet you'll come home to both of them on the table, watching for you. :p

Dee-O-Gee April 16th, 2011 09:00 PM

Sadly enough, your probably right Hazel :o

I wouldn't put it past them to do that! :yell: :evil:

Tundra_Queen April 17th, 2011 05:08 PM

[QUOTE=klmccallum;1004263][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][I]:thumbs up Problem solved! :thumbs up :D :D[/I][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[ATTACH]73380[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

LOL it looks nice,,,but there is no seat for the pup! :D

Dee-O-Gee April 17th, 2011 05:45 PM

[QUOTE=Tundra_Queen;1004469]LOL it looks nice,,,but there is no seat for the pup! :D[/QUOTE]

I'm just messing with their minds and playing musical chairs! :D

Put 2 coats of stain on it and bought a small can of Helmsman finish. Man! I forgot how expensive that stuff was. :frustrated:

Also bought a piece of plexi-glass and stained 4 pieces of small wood chips that I was going to lay under the glass to keep it raised from the finish. I'm going to glue the chips to the plexi-glass and set 2 small screw holes into the sill. Hopefully by doing the Helmsman finish and raising the glass off the sill, it'll keep it protected but not tacky looking. :shrug:

It would be nice years down the road, only to contend with a couple screw holes rather then having to refinish the sill again for a third time! :frustrated:

Lookin' good so far. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack April 17th, 2011 05:49 PM

Where are the pics? :D

Brandon W April 17th, 2011 05:59 PM

What you want to do is use a water seal type of verathane,or like chris said a Marine varnish. Something that will seal the wood and color it.Use something that says its ment for high traffic areas. Did you paint it the first time ? If so what did you use,it looks more like a colored stain then a colored weathered sealer. It will stay dry(prevent cracking),if the windows seal is still good. If it's broken and has moisture collecting in summer/winter then you might want to get your window(s) re-siliconed. Will help make everything last a lot longer if thats the issue. Another good option is like a deck sealer you would use outside,they come in stain colors as well as natural.

Dee-O-Gee April 17th, 2011 06:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Haven't taken any pictures of the sill today. :(

I'm on a roll with finishing a wear spot on the living room hardwood floor, finishing my new batch of feeders and doing laundry that hubby normally does on Sundays! :yell:

Oh almost forgot....took the pups for a walk during today's blizzard in between all of this. :crazy:

[ATTACH]73408[/ATTACH]

Here are before and after shots of the floor so far.

[ATTACH]73406[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]73407[/ATTACH]

Tonight...[I]I'm gonna wash that grey right outta my hair! [/I] :thumbs up :D

Dee-O-Gee April 17th, 2011 06:16 PM

Oh and forgot to also note....watched a bit of the Rangers' kick Washingston's butts! :laughing:

hazelrunpack April 17th, 2011 06:21 PM

How did you fix the wear spot without leaving an 'edge' between old and new finish? Looks very nice!!! :thumbs up

And how the heck did you keep fur off it while it was drying? :eek: With 2 dogs and 2 cats that's a miracle! :laughing:

We were, wonder of wonders, sunny today--but we had that snow yesterday and the day before. Just passin it on. :D

Dee-O-Gee April 17th, 2011 06:42 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;1004493]How did you fix the wear spot without leaving an 'edge' between old and new finish? Looks very nice!!! :thumbs up

[COLOR="Red"][I]I just feathered both the stain and final coats into the existing finish.:shrug:[/I][/COLOR]

And how the heck did you keep fur off it while it was drying? :eek: With 2 dogs and 2 cats that's a miracle! :laughing:

[COLOR="Red"][I]We're playing musical chairs and all they're all barracading the floor right now! :laughing:[/I][/COLOR]

We were, wonder of wonders, sunny today--but we had that snow yesterday and the day before. Just passin it on. :D[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Red"][I]I think we got your snow today Hazel--THANKS! :frustrated:[/I][/COLOR]

hazelrunpack April 17th, 2011 06:45 PM

You're a very talented floor finisher, klm. :D I'm going to have to remember that next time I'm finishing floors or sills. (Note to self: call klm! :thumbs up How much an hour do you charge? :laughing:)

Dee-O-Gee April 17th, 2011 06:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just put a third coat on the sill.....:crazy:

[ATTACH]73409[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]73410[/ATTACH]

hazelrunpack April 17th, 2011 06:50 PM

Lookin' good!! :thumbs up How many coats will you need?