Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Labored breathing and skin lesions (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64600)

troopernmiley August 3rd, 2009 09:33 PM

Labored breathing and skin lesions

Our dog Trooper is 5 month old shepard mix (from the pound) and is short of breath. He also has skin lesions on his groin, stomach and mouth that look pimples untill they pop and a scab forms. We took him to the vet and he said that he had mange and they dipped him. He had an allergic reaction and and edema of his stomach and polydipsia. This is the second reaction he has had to a drug. He also had a really strange allergic reaction to deoxycycline when he was on it for pneumonia when he was a puppy. He was on other antibiotics (baytril on double the recommended dose) for a couple of months when he had this pneumonia. He als o has really dirty ears all of the time! I am beginning to suspect an autoimmune disease and was wondering if anyone else has had similar symptoms in their pet? And if so, what did you do?

hazelrunpack August 3rd, 2009 10:51 PM

Poor Trooper! Sounds like he's having a rough go of it. It's got to be tough on you, too :grouphug: It's so hard when they're sick and you don't know what's going on.

I thnk if it were our dog, we'd be making an appointment at the closest veterinary teaching hospital. Although pricey, the vets there tend to have a lot of experience with tough cases and can often pinpoint the problem where our regular vets cannot. Once you know what you're fighting, your regular vet can help with treatment.

If you think getting a second opinion this way is a good idea, talk to your vet about getting a referral--often times you can get an appointment faster that way.

Good luck with Trooper! I hope the vets can figure out what's going on with the little guy and find an effective treatment for him quickly! :goodvibes:

troopernmiley August 4th, 2009 04:42 PM

Thanks for your help hazelrunpack! I looked into a veterinary teaching hospital near me and it looks like it will be really expensive! Im a college student and my boyfriend and I have already scraped up $2500 for his pneumonia. Anyways, The vet started him on Cephalexin and Ivormectin for the mange (since he could not do the dip). He had his first dose this morning and NO reaction yet :fingerscr I dont know what is going on but I hope this new treatment works. If not, their was talk of starting him on prednizone. And if all else fails, I think we will have to take him to the veterinary teching hospital (they offer a credit card to pay for it...but it is at 27% interest!!!)

Thanks again for your help and Ill keep you posted!

hazelrunpack August 4th, 2009 09:20 PM

Your little guy has had a tough start in life, but he's very lucky to have you to care for him. :goodvibes: for the new treatment an a complete recovery!

Hang in there! :grouphug: