Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Irresistibles from Fod Basics (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76555)

corehevico April 18th, 2011 10:07 PM

Irresistibles from Fod Basics

INGREDIENTS: CHICKEN, WHOLE BROWN RICE, PORK MEAL, WHOLE
GROUND BARLEY, GROUND YELLOW CORN, CHICKEN MEAL, CHICKEN FAT
NATURALLY PRESERVED WITH MIXED TOCOPHEROLS (A SOURCE OF VITAMIN E),
BEET PULP, FLAXSEED, NATURAL LIVER FLAVOUR, DRIED WHOLE EGG,
SODIUM CHLORIDE, HERRING OIL (SOURCE OF DHA), POTASSIUM CHLORIDE,
BREWERS DRIED YEAST, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, ZINC
SULFATE, FERROUS SULFATE, YUCCA SCHIDIGERA EXTRACT, VITAMIN
SUPPLEMENTS (A, D, E), NIACIN, COPPER SULFATE, MANGANESE SULFATE,
CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, BIOTIN,
PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, SODIUM SELENITE, VITAMIN B12, CALCIUM
IODATE, FOLIC ACID, MENADIONE SODIUM BISULPHITE COMPLEX (SOURCE OF
VITAMIN K ACTIVITY).

This a bargain food I found at my local grocer. What does everyone think.
Looks pretty good think i might make the switch.

kathryn April 18th, 2011 10:55 PM

Sounds like you are going to get what you pay for if it's a bargain. How much of a bargain is it? Doesn't sound horrible but eh, it's not impressive. I'm not a fan of corn in any food.

corehevico April 19th, 2011 08:25 AM

What would be your main concern with this food. Meats are first with corn further down the list. Cant see myself paying 60-80$ for a bag of dog food.

breeze April 19th, 2011 08:31 AM

What are you feeding now?? and why do you want to switch??

Marty11 April 19th, 2011 08:31 AM

I've heard good reviews on the Kirkland brand at Cosco's if you are looking for a bargain.

hazelrunpack April 19th, 2011 08:44 AM

Corn is a common allergen in dogs, so we avoid it in the food we feed our dogs. Also, the menadione sodium bisulfite has been implicated as a carcinogen. It's an artificial form of Vitamin K (K3) and natural sources of Vitamin K are much better. The food is pretty grain heavy--rice, barley and corn. For all those reasons, I wouldn't recommend it if you can find something better in your price range.

corehevico April 19th, 2011 08:59 AM

The reason I am switching is we recently added a pup to our family and during my research into foods I came to the realization that our current national brand is not all that good. Really corn heavy. So that is why I am interested in this food. Its better than what we currently feed our pack. And the nearest costco is over an hour away.

breeze April 19th, 2011 09:15 AM

IMO most grocer dog food is full of fillers and grains and not the best for your pups.

angeldogs April 19th, 2011 09:21 AM

I switched to the PC salmon and potatoe.They did an ingredient change and my 2 are doing well on it. Formulated without grains. Costs 16.99+tax for a 10lb bag.they don't make a big bag yet.

breeze April 19th, 2011 09:35 AM

[QUOTE=angeldogs;1004891]I switched to the PC salmon and potatoe.They did an ingredient change and my 2 are doing well on it. Formulated without grains. Costs 16.99+tax for a 10lb bag.they don't make a big bag yet.[/QUOTE]

here is the ingredient that angledogs metioned

Salmon meal, potatoes, brown rice, dehulled barley, oatmeal, salmon, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols - source of vitamin e),tomatoes, natural chicken flavour, herring meal, salmon oil (source of dha), flaxseed, brewers yeast, whole sweet potatoes, whole carrots, whole blueberries, whole cranberries, whole apples, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sodium chloride, chicory root, choline chloride, vitamins & chelated minerals (vitamin a, vitamin d3, vitamin e, niacin, vitamin c, inositol, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, beta carotene, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, vitamin k, biotin, vitamin b12 supplement, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulphate, iron proteinate, zinc oxide, copper proteinate, copper sulphate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), probiotics (lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillus casei, enterococcus faecium, bifidobacterium thermophilum), dl-methionine, yucca schidigera, dried rosemary.

Please note that product ingredients and product information may occasionally change from the above. Kindly refer to actual product labelling.
Customer ReviewsRate & Review

angeldogs April 19th, 2011 09:40 AM

The grain free is different.I will see if i can scan the ingedients to my pc and post them.

breeze April 19th, 2011 09:40 AM

[QUOTE=angeldogs;1004906]The grain free is different.I will see if i can scan the ingedients to my pc and post them.[/QUOTE]

there is an other one??
this is the only one that I can find :(

Marty11 April 19th, 2011 09:44 AM

Do you have a "Global" Try natures harvest or a middle of the road food. It's way better than grocery store.

angeldogs April 19th, 2011 09:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the ingredients.That didn't work to well

Masha April 19th, 2011 01:29 PM

I find that around me, the best variety of good quality foods is from a Global Pet Foods, they carry brands like orijen, now and many other brands that are often hard or impossibel to find in other places. They often also have knolwedgable staff.

reanne April 19th, 2011 11:51 PM

If you want a bargain food, as mentioned the Kirkland brand at Costco is a good choice. It is the only cheap but quality food out there according to some doggie friends I have. I haven't used it before, but it's what they recommend if you can't afford one of the more quality foods. The grain-free Kirkland of course!

rainbow April 20th, 2011 01:35 AM

[QUOTE=angeldogs;1004920]Here's the ingredients.That didn't work to well[/QUOTE]

Btw, AD, I did finally get an answer from PC and they do not use ethoxyquin to preserve the herring meal, they use mixed tocoperols. Also, the Vitamin K they use is Vitamin K1. :thumbs up

rainbow April 20th, 2011 01:38 AM

[B]Corehevico,[/B] as everyone has said, either the grain-free PC First or Kirkland are the better choices for a low cost dog kibble.

Melinda April 20th, 2011 06:50 AM

depending on the size of your dog(s), I shop at pet value(by Metro/dollar store) and buy performatrin, great deal, my large dog goes through one bag (large) in about 6-7 weeks, costs me 42 dollars.

corehevico April 20th, 2011 07:03 AM

Who makes the PC food. I know Diamond makes it for Costco's Kirkland.

Shaykeija April 20th, 2011 10:56 PM

Not sure, have you tried Google? I feed mine top grade dry and top up with home cooked meats and veggies.

angeldogs April 22nd, 2011 01:28 AM

[QUOTE=rainbow;1005083]Btw, AD, I did finally get an answer from PC and they do not use ethoxyquin to preserve the herring meal, they use mixed tocoperols. Also, the Vitamin K they use is Vitamin K1. :thumbs up[/QUOTE]

They replied to me a little while after.about the kibble.i thought i had posted it.

My buddies company makes the PC Brand kibble.my two are doing just as well on it as they did the california natural herring and sweet potatoe and it's costing me less.

angeldogs April 22nd, 2011 01:30 AM

[QUOTE=corehevico;1005100]Who makes the PC food. I know Diamond makes it for Costco's Kirkland.[/QUOTE]

Elmira pet foods as i know it. I think the name was changed a couple of years ago.not sure if it changed again or not.

rainbow April 22nd, 2011 02:43 PM

[QUOTE=angeldogs;1005634]Elmira pet foods as i know it. I think the name was changed a couple of years ago.not sure if it changed again or not.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting that AG ....when I asked PC they would not disclose the information.

angeldogs April 23rd, 2011 11:22 AM

[QUOTE=rainbow;1005711]Thanks for posting that AG ....when I asked PC they would not disclose the information.[/QUOTE]

No problem.
I can't seem to get the ingredient list to come out any better.might have to spend alot of time later to type out.the joy's of 2 finger typing.

rainbow April 23rd, 2011 10:16 PM

[QUOTE=angeldogs;1005845]No problem.
I can't seem to get the ingredient list to come out any better.might have to spend alot of time later to type out.the joy's of 2 finger typing.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I can read the ingredients just fine and I don't even have my glasses on. :D

Tommysmom April 25th, 2011 08:20 PM

I picked up a bag of the new PC food for a friend today... Comparing the ingredients to the bag of Acana pacifica I just bought, there isn't a huge difference but it's half the price. I really hope it catches on, it would be nice to see more people able to afford a decent food. Thanks for bringing this up, I never would have thought to check it out but I know so many people who could benefit from the info!

angeldogs April 27th, 2011 10:25 AM

[QUOTE=rainbow;1005956]Actually, I can read the ingredients just fine and I don't even have my glasses on. :D[/QUOTE]

On my screen it's a very small blurry picture.:shrug:

angeldogs April 27th, 2011 10:31 AM

[QUOTE=Tommysmom;1006263]I picked up a bag of the new PC food for a friend today... Comparing the ingredients to the bag of Acana pacifica I just bought, there isn't a huge difference but it's half the price. I really hope it catches on, it would be nice to see more people able to afford a decent food. Thanks for bringing this up, I never would have thought to check it out but I know so many people who could benefit from the info![/QUOTE]

PC is trying to be comparable to petstore food.
The regular PC salmon and potatoe was costing just as much as the california natural herring and sweet potatoe for 30lbs.i liked the pc do to being in smaller zip lock bag it was easier to store in the truck as it had to be in the original packing for crossing border.

The grain free is cheeper for some reason so thats the one i feed and the dogs love it.