Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Almo (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=75281)

chico2 February 14th, 2011 05:34 PM

Almo

I was given a couple of sample cans of Almo,Vinnie of course inhaled it,loved the Chicken in Pumpkin-Broth,the day after he had terrible runs,is just now starting to get better.
It's been a mess trying to clean his longish white fur....I don't think I'll get any Almo for them:(although I really liked to give it,just as a treat,since it is not nutritionally complete.
Anyone else have problems with it?

sugarcatmom February 14th, 2011 05:42 PM

I wonder if Vinnie has a problem with pumpkin? Have you ever given him other versions of pumpkin before? There really isn't much in there, but maybe it's enough to cause the soft poopage. That's the one I give my guys most often and have never had a poop issue afterwards. I'd hate to suggest trying one of the plain chicken flavours and have Vinnie go through the same thing again. How much did he eat? Maybe it was a volume thing more than the contents. I usually split one of the small cans between 4 cats.

krdahmer February 15th, 2011 10:43 AM

these guys get the chicken in broth and tuna and cheese as a treat once a week....never had a problem with it that way. :shrug: maybe it is the pumpkin throwing him off?

Love4himies February 15th, 2011 11:24 AM

My cats eat multiple flavours and have not had a problem. Somebody did post about an issue with Almo a few days ago, I will have to go look for it.

I am like SCM, a can of Almo is split between 4 cats.

chico2 February 15th, 2011 12:19 PM

The cans I had were only 1,7 oz,Vinnie ate the chicken,pumpkin broth all by himself.
He's never had anything pumpkin before..

The store gave free samples,he had no problems with the tuna,they both loved it and nothing happened.

Vinnie is ok now:fingerscrhis hair still discolored though,I think we'll trim his back-end a little(very carefully) and I bought some unscented baby-wipes to try to get him white again.

I probably will get some of the Almo tuna just for a treat ever now and then.
I don't remember Chico ever having the runs,but then he is a little pickier eater.

Love4himies February 15th, 2011 12:29 PM

Did you check the expiry date on the can?

chico2 February 15th, 2011 12:36 PM

No,I didn't,but I assume they were ok,since it was a sampling campaign going on.
It said on the can"free sample".

Love4himies February 15th, 2011 12:42 PM

[QUOTE=krdahmer;985751]these guys get the chicken in broth and tuna and cheese as a treat once a week....never had a problem with it that way. :shrug: maybe it is the pumpkin throwing him off?[/QUOTE]

:eek: I just saw you posted, how are you doing????? :sorry: :offtopic: Sorry Chico.

Love4himies February 15th, 2011 12:44 PM

[QUOTE=chico2;985777]No,I didn't,but I assume they were ok,since it was a sampling campaign going on.
It said on the can"free sample".[/QUOTE]

I don't normally check the expiry date either, but just this morning the kitties had some Almo mixed with their breakfast and I noticed on the cat asking to check the expiry date on the bottom.

Jasper has a very finicky tummy and just the littlest thing can set him off into a bout of diarrha :yuck: and takes Slippery Elm to get him settled again.